Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Alright........

....Apple SSD it is for me then.

Was worried enough about dust and prints, but if I'm going "all in", I'm going to break something.

Yeah I'm too cheap to buy this but if I did I'd pay for these upgrades at purchase. No way I'm going through that much trouble. the SSD price from Apple is actually not too bad.

Cheers,

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
the SSD price from Apple is actually not too bad.

The problem for me was that I couldn't justify the 240GB SSD. Way too much for an operating system and apps but quite small to keep iTunes and iPhoto libraries comfortably. If they had the 128Gb option as with the MBP, I would have certainly ordered it. As you said, prices are not bad at all considering the advantages.

hamean

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
The problem for me was that I couldn't justify the 240GB SSD. Way too much for an operating system and apps but quite small to keep iTunes and iPhoto libraries comfortably. If they had the 128Gb option as with the MBP, I would have certainly ordered it. As you said, prices are not bad at all considering the advantages.

I completely agree. I tried to replace my faulty 8800GS on my 2007 iMac when it died. I switched it out with the non-buggy ATI stock GPU for that model. When I finally put everything back together, I had to take it in to a repair shop to get the display to power back on. I'm still not sure what I messed up. The point is, that going that far in and unseating the logic board is abit risky if you haven't done it much.

The apple options just don't justify the cost, because you're right about the size. It's not big enough for an all in one drive, but it's too expensive for a simple boot option. My plan is to wait for the 500g versions to drop and throw one in there in 18 months or so. If they are still too expensive I'll just wait 3 years for the 2014 iMac.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
Yep, I'm with you guys. I was all set to just order the base 27" and install an SSD myself. But after seeing everything that goes into it....F that. I'll just order the SSD.

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I think I am going to risk it.

My iMac (27 inch i5) is going to be delivered tomorrow, today I bought the special cables and Intel`s 120GB 510 SSD.
Now that all the stuff is laying around I am just not able to go back anymore .... besides the fact that a 1TB drive isn`t enough anyways.

Step1: remove mainboard to plug in a third sata cable and provide power by using a "y-cable".
Step2: connect the ssd and fix it with tape.
Step3: exchange 1TB with 2TB HDD

Any further information or helpful tips are very much appreciated!

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
Those of you who have done it (or in this case plan to) should post some links of the exact cables you ordered. Basically aren't the steps as follows:

1) disassemble the thing
2) switch the current HDD SATA cable to the next slot over
3) attach new SATA cable with 1 90deg end
4) swap in the new y (power) cable
5) plug it all in and velcro/tape the SSD to the chassis
6) reassemble

Leaving the new items:
1) SSD SATA cable
2) SSD power cable
3) velcro

Correct?

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
That's about it. A few additional tips:

- 2 mini suction cups (£3 each) made the glass removal painless and safe.
- Wear an anti-static wrist band.
- Extra pair of hands to hold the monitor while disconnecting / reconnecting the cables. Try not to leave any fingerprints on the glass inner side or LCD. Send the kids to the movies.
- Take the memory upgrade cover out. Those 2 plastic tabs will be very useful when sliding the logic board back in.
- Take time and photograph location of each connector. I found counting them particularly useful since a couple of them have gone missing under the logic board during reassemble.
- Same goes for screws as they are different types and lengths.
- Make sure you have plenty of light (head lamp?) and take time and study each connector release mechanism. Most are basic pull out type but some have security tab mechanisms holding them in place. Never pull the wires directly. I used my fingernails to grab and pull each connector on both sides but a suitable tool could be better.
- Run the Apple Hardware Diagnostic software afterward to make sure you got it all back.

centenario

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Russia Moscow
1. I moved the original HDD cable from SATA0 to SATA1 on the right connector. The left one looked like the 4th SATA port but is in fact something else as it clearly shows that is smaller.

2. The new SATA clable has a 90degree angled connector and I pluged it into the, now available, SATA0 port, with connector pointing toward the bottom og the picture.

3. Y-Cable yes, it is connected to the existing sata power cable feeding the existing hard drive.

90 Degree SATA Cable
y Splitter

Thank you very much!
Ifixit write that the ssd is possible to put a DVD, do not pay any attention to it?

frankk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I'm also put off doing this myself from the description. My only experience is the successful installation of a HD into an iMac5.1, which appears to be in another league. I was really hoping like many others on the forum that Apple might've offered a smaller SSD option, 80/120GB would more than suffice for my needs (my MBP only takes up 25GB for System and Applications).

So my choice is either to cough up the money now, or wait for a TB external SSD. Without wanting to raise the whole vapourware discussion, my question is whether this option (when and if it exists) would offer all the advantages without the hassle (only an unsightly lump around the back)? Of course I may end up waiting for such a device only to find it more expensive than the Apple internal option. Does this make any sense?

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I think I'll be able to take this on. Been building computers since I was little and have taken numerous ready-built machines apart. Thanks for all the hard work guys, hopefully though iFixIt comes out with some sort of step-by-step guide.

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I did it!!!!!!

My iMac arrived mid-day and right away started my mission.
Have to admit ... it`s VERY complicated, especially to fit the mainboard back in and to also get all the connectors and cables back out.
Now everythoin gis runninhg fine. The Intel 510 SSD is my systemdrive and I added a 2TB HDD instead of the 1GB one. Nevertheless I really ot scared while doing it and certainly wouldnt do it again!

There is only one problem:
After reinstalling and lifting the iMac back up, I realised that the screen is moving to the very back position by itself all the time. (sorry for my bad english I am austrian).
It seems like some magic power is moving the screen back on the stand ... so I am not able to adjust the screen ankle.
Does anyone off you have a clou how i can fix this?
Maybe removing the stand and reinstalling it helps?

Thanks!

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
Man, I was really hoping to do this install myself, but that seems a little scarier than I want to deal with. I replaced the HDD in my 2006 MBP which required some cable and screw removal, but I think if I get the funds I'll probably just do a Thunderbolt connected drive.

ChargedPC

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I think I am going to risk it.

My iMac (27 inch i5) is going to be delivered tomorrow, today I bought the special cables and Intel`s 120GB 510 SSD.
Now that all the stuff is laying around I am just not able to go back anymore .... besides the fact that a 1TB drive isn`t enough anyways.

Step1: remove mainboard to plug in a third sata cable and provide power by using a "y-cable".
Step2: connect the ssd and fix it with tape.
Step3: exchange 1TB with 2TB HDD

Any further information or helpful tips are very much appreciated!

Installing a 2TB drive will cause your HD fan to run at full RPMs. Don't do it unless you're comfortable always using SMCfancontrol to keep them at bay.

We've also posted an SSD install guide over at http://blog.chargedpc.com/

Hope it helps.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Saving $750 to cover buying the 2TB + SSD option in progress. Seems a bit much to try this on my own. Too bad you can't get these fully loaded version as refurbs.

Cheers,

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Installing a 2TB drive will cause your HD fan to run at full RPMs. Don't do it unless you're comfortable always using SMCfancontrol to keep them at bay.

no, thats just wrong! for 2009 and 2010 iMacs it was necessary to choose the same manufaturer for the temperature-sensor.
for my 2011 Imac it seems like its now possible to use ANY drive ... at least the buiklt in one has been a 1TB drive from Seagate ... the one I built in is 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black ... and I didnt realsize the fans to run any higher yet ;)

ChargedPC

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
no, thats just wrong! for 2009 and 2010 iMacs it was necessary to choose the same manufaturer for the temperature-sensor.
for my 2011 Imac it seems like its now possible to use ANY drive ... at least the buiklt in one has been a 1TB drive from Seagate ... the one I built in is 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black ... and I didnt realsize the fans to run any higher yet ;)

Can you please clarify: did your iMac come with a 2TB drive, or you installed the 2TB Caviar Black, and with iStat Nano you saw that the fan speed was still 1100 rpm.

We tried installing both a Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB drive, and a WD Caviar Green WD20EADS, and both caused the fan to rev.

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
my system has been delivered with a seagate 1tb drive.
the one i built in today is a 2TB western digital.
will be back home in 3,5 hours and check with istatpro how the fans are working. while installation of snowleopard i didnt notice any noise besides the optical drive.

ChargedPC

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
my system has been delivered with a seagate 1tb drive.
the one i built in today is a 2TB western digital.
will be back home in 3,5 hours and check with istatpro how the fans are working. while installation of snowleopard i didnt notice any noise besides the optical drive.

The noise takes a while to build as the hard drive fan slowly revs up, so you may not have noticed it.

Eager to here your results. It's possible the 2TB Caviar Black provides the proper temp data to keep the fans at bay being that it is most likely what Apple uses. We await your results!

thorbenh

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
I was planning to ADD a SSD as well but now I am considering to either

a) REPLACE the HDD with a 256GB SSD or
b) consult a Apple licensed shop to add the SSD to the HDD.

However I already bought the SSD and wonder how much the job would cost (Germany in my case). Does anyone have experience on that?

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
i will check and give you an update!

meanwhile ... does anybody here have a clou about the suddenly malfunctioning stand? is there any relation between hdd swap and mainboard and the mechanics of the iMac-stand??

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
i will check and give you an update!

meanwhile ... does anybody here have a clou about the suddenly malfunctioning stand? is there any relation between hdd swap and mainboard and the mechanics of the iMac-stand??

Sorry to hear about your stand. By the looks of it the pivot mechanism is inside the case so perhaps something is obstructing it. I'm pretty sure it is the same mechanism as with 2010 iMacs so maybe there is some more info and pictures about in online.

How quickly does the Intel SSD boot into MacOSX? I get about 7-8 seconds from tadaaa to desktop.

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I am the HAPPIEST guy on this planet right now :D:D:D

First of all, after I came back home the iMac-stand problem was resolved by itself ... (dont ask me how that is possible ... but now I can move the screen like I am used to)

Second and more importantly: The SSD is unbelievable fast!!! The fans are working perfect!!!

Here is a screenshot from istatpro :
bildschirmfoto20110511u.png

It seems like the Caviar black has the kind of sensors the new iMac 2011 needs built in. Also I really can´t believe how FAST the 510 Intel SSD is.
Nevertheless I am going to sleep now.
Tomorrow I will post some benchmarks.

Good night!

Crwoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I will try this after my imac comes tomorrow. I have a intel 510 ssd waiting, i will be using the following parts to make it look as if apple done it themselfs. http://applecomponents.com/items/922-9538_cable-ssd-hdd-data/0000004775?pn=1&cmp=0172&per_page=30
and http://applecomponents.com/items/92...-ssd-mxm/0000004776?pn=2&cmp=0172&per_page=30

This doesnt look apple at all but is also required http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LCCBL4

thats the parts i used!
good luck tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.