Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the iPod touch REALLY Need a Screen Protector?

• Total voters

somewhatvaguely

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
Ontario
YES, you need a screen protector. I wouldn't say it's absolutely vital, but it's worth it. Would you rather get a scratch on your iPod screen and not be able to fix it, or get a scratch on the screen protector and feel safe knowing it's not your actual iPod damaged?

And about it ruining the video quality - I got the crystal screen protector: it is almost impossible to tell that there is a protector on it besides the ring around the home button. Seriously. Very clear and clean. As well, screen protectors do different things besides protect your screen - there are ones that reduce glare, reduce fingerprints, etc.

The screen protector besides being visually unnoticeable, also does not make a difference in feel of the screen. Personally, I can tell no difference when using my friend's iPod compared to mine, other than the fact that theirs is a bit more sticky from no protector. ;)

A few months ago, I gave my iPod to my friend to let him fiddle around with it, he ended up scratching a part of it with his nail. Instead of freaking out, I was fine because I knew that I could always replace the protector instead of the WHOLE screen or iPod... Even so, I decided to just leave it there since it made hardly any difference.

Now I agree that a CASE is more necessary than a SCREEN PROTECTOR, but I suggest you get both, and if you cannot the latter(the screen protector is a cheaper way). My mom had an iPhone with nothing on it for a few months(that is, no 'accessories'), but yesterday she got a screen protector, as the body can fend for itself(the only way it could get damaged(dirt is no issue) is if you drop it, and that would be your own fault). If you are accident prone, cases are good, but if you just throw your iPod into bags, pockets, and what not, screen protectors are a better choice.

Okay. That was ridiculously long. But I hope I've made my point.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's driving me crazy!:eek: My dad is paranoid and is leaving the film that shipped with his on till someone makes one for it and I hope to get one in the next couple of weeks for my bday and I don't think it needs it. I remember when I got my 5g iPod he put I screen protector on it and I went crazy, I think it ruins watching videos. So do you really think its that great of an idea?

Yep, if you hate fingerprints all over the screen. I got the skins from bestskinsever and I rarely have any screen smudging to worry about. The front skin doesn't affect the touchscreen and I can't see any difference in the display.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
People moan about screen protectors and the "bubbles" under them, but if you know how to apply them properly (and there IS a technique to it), then it's not an issue.

In fact, my iPhone screen protector is so well applied that you don't even know it's on there. And, this has led to friends asking me to apply protectors to their iPod touches or iPhones.

I personally wouldn't put any expensive touch screen device in my pocket without a screen protector, but that's just me.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Yes, you need one. Through the course of a year my iPod touch got scratched up like you wouldn't believe. I'd also highly recommend you get a case that has a silicone surround to the bezel, since I dropped my iPod and it landed face down on concrete and cracked it all to hell as well.

I'm getting the glass replaced and when it comes back, its going straight into a film protector and case, permanently.

katie123

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
I have a screen protector on my ipod touch, and it had a few little bubbles in it, and i seem compelled to try to make things PERFECT (it bothers me if it isnt) so i took off the protector and wiped the screen with the special cloth provided with the case and protector. Then I saw dirt on the protector on the side that goes against the screen and stupidly wiped it with the cloth. BIG MISTAKE the protector got filthy and it looks terrible on the ipod touch, much worse than before. Sometimes, I'm so dumb.

Omg, i did this too... take the protector, and rinse it with soap and water. If it's a decent protector, it should still work. Also, if you have windex, spray some on the sticky side and rub all of the lint off. Most of it should come off. Turn off the ipod then spray windex on it and apply the protector using a card to get out the air bubbles. Then just dry the screen. It works great. :) hopefully you didn't toss it quite yet :p

mayflower

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
It's driving me crazy!:eek: My dad is paranoid and is leaving the film that shipped with his on till someone makes one for it and I hope to get one in the next couple of weeks for my bday and I don't think it needs it. I remember when I got my 5g iPod he put I screen protector on it and I went crazy, I think it ruins watching videos. So do you really think its that great of an idea?

Your dad is really interesting !:D

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009

If you think it ruined watching videos you either had a bad instal (bubbles) or it was a horrid screen protector. I use a matte anti-glare screen protector, it works wonders when outside. The cheap ones off eBay are slightly harder to install without bubble than a nice high quality one but you can get 20 matte protectors for like 4 dollars, then you can practice 19 times putting it on before it counts.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I totally forgot I started this thread a few years ago. I was 15 at the time and now I'm 19 and in college. I did get a first generation iPod touch for my 16th birthday and it did have a screen protector which was matte but I still didn't like it very much. Fast forward to today and I have an iPhone without a screen protector and I love it. I just can't imagine what a screen protector would do to affect viewing on the retina display.

Danimalcracker

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
Earth.
Screen protectors. Psychological thing? Gimmick? A fad?

EDIT: Just thought of something. In order to scratch, said scratcher must be harder than said glass plate.

Moral of the story: stop carrying diamonds in your pockets!

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I have a 4th gen iPod touch and I haven't felt the need to use a screen protector. I've carried mine almost daily without any damage to the screen.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
I've had my iPod Touch for almost 3 years now and I put it through hell. No protection at all. I don't have a single scratch on the front screen. The back is pretty marked up, but that's pretty obvious since I don't have any protection for it and it scratches easily. You really don't need one, it's a waste of money.

Jaykstah

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
No the screen probably won't scratch, but you might need a case or skin for the back because the metal on the back is a scratch and fingerprint magnet. Actually If you have a screen protector, if dust sticks on it, it can scratch your screen, so it's better off without a screen protector.

danetello

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
You don't really NEED a screen protector, but it can be useful if you drop your gadgets often lol
I have got an iPhone 4 with no screen protector, been using it for almost 2 years and the front is still in perfect condition with not a single scratch

TheGoodRunner

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Do you need one?

Do you need to wear a cup during a lacrosse game?

Its always better to play things safe. Your device costs upwards of 300 dollars, you're willing to spend a hundred dollars on games for it, why not spend 15 dollars and keep it nice forever.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It doesn't need a screen protector, but I find it's a habit to buy one for the device. I have screen protectors on all my devices. It simply is a habit.

Do I really need it? No, but I've had so many time where I've had really miniscule swirls on the glass in the past, where a screen protector would have helped.

Now with the coming of Gorilla glass, etc., maybe I don't have to worry about little swirls, but still with the force of habit, I buy screen protectors.

It actually depends

For me, it depends upon you because if you want iPod to be more preventable on scratches or any other harmful things that may occur to the screen of your iPod even though it is a scratch-free screen. why not try to have a protector if you have some extra cash in your pocket. hehe ^_^ .. noting to lose from. Me I am very careful with my iPod which I just bought last week and after few days i tried to purchase some Screen protector on http://www.iweeklydeal.com to insure me the more safe iPod.

have a nice viewing.. tsk tsk

outaru

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Yes.. My I own an iPod touch, and no matter how I prevent sharp objects from touching the screen. It managed to have tiny scratch.. :(

illusion787

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
You probably don't NEED one, but it wouldn't hurt to have one. Having one on your ipad or iphone might be more important than your ipod but personally I always recommend a screen protector.

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Wouldn't it be the same concept as the iPhone?
Some people say it doesnt scratch but it's always better to be safe than sorry, no?

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
On my ipod touch 4g , i did some tests .. Took a pin , and tried to scratch it .. But nothing at all !! But the back is completely the opposite . :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.