Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Blech. Garbage via 360! LOL...

Why would anyone want one of these, when they can get a Netbook at similar/less $$$? Also, tablets are the next interim step to a laptop/desktop. I recently had access to a Sony VAIO Y Series, and not impressed at all. Slow, fair graphics, and even with SSD, it was slow [IMHO]. So I can't see how this thing, with less capability, would be better?

If I want a small, fast, portable system, I'll go for the MBA 11", or 13" Ultimate.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Too expensive for what they do. You could buy a full featured netbook at that price, maybe even a lower quality laptop.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I would rather use Ubuntu Linux or similar distro. Being Linux available for so long, being as good as it is, and still not been able to gain enough popularity to be a contender to the main Operating Systems: Windows and Mac OS X, we now have yet another O.S. Kind of a waste I would say, but only time would tell.

in my case, I'm staying with MAC OS X and iOS.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Why isn't Google embarrassed for putting out these pieces of crap? I've seen this type of thing over the years where a company wants to live too far in the future only to get slapped in the face by reality. At least Apple (in more recent years) doesn't release something until the technology is there to make it viable.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Blech. Garbage via 360! LOL...

Why would anyone want one of these, when they can get a Netbook at similar/less $$$? Also, tablets are the next interim step to a laptop/desktop. I recently had access to a Sony VAIO Y Series, and not impressed at all. Slow, fair graphics, and even with SSD, it was slow [IMHO]. So I can't see how this thing, with less capability, would be better?

If I want a small, fast, portable system, I'll go for the MBA 11", or 13" Ultimate.

Netbooks that run so-so now would run fast with this. I can't see this OS taking up much memory or CPU hog. I for one welcome this. Its cheaper and I will not be called at all mater of time from family member in other states with asinine question again and again. Where and when can I buy one is all I want to know. :rolleyes:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I've always been curious of the "instant on"/short boot argument. Does that many people actually shut down their pc's every time after use? I can't remember the last time I shut down my Macbook, and not my Dell laptop either for that sake. I always put them to sleep, which always gives me "instant on"......

Let's not forget that SSD and other Flash-based notebooks (like the MBA) startup really really fast.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I would rather use Ubuntu Linux or similar distro. Being Linux available for so long, being as good as it is, and still not been able to gain enough popularity to be a contender to the main Operating Systems: Windows and Mac OS X, we now have yet another O.S. Kind of a waste I would say, but only time would tell.

in my case, I'm staying with MAC OS X and iOS.

I've been a linux guy for 13 years and I will be the first one to say that linux is not a consumer friendly OS - it will never be a mainstream desktop contender.

jlmitnick

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
I seriously don't understand the difference between this and a current netbook other than these being worse.

Seriously though, other than "instant on" (which the keynote speaker said was more like 8 seconds...which is the same as waking up from sleep mode), I can't for the life of me understand how this is better than a equally priced netbook and just opening up Chrome.

If someone could legitimately list the pros of this device over a similarly priced netbook I'm really curious.

(if they were priced at like $150 then that would make sense, but as is, they just seem like gimped netbooks)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I might be aging myself here, but these sound like portable dumb terminals. Am I correct that if there's no internet connection, you won't be able to log in & do anything? Or will there be at least some offline capability.

These sound good for those people who just want to do the basics like web browsing, e-mailing and writing documents but don't want to use a tablet. But whatever floats your boat.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
With that said, Pichai made it clear that Google is laser focused on Chrome OS for the notebook. He noted that Google wants to reach the greatest amount of people possible, and most people use notebooks rather than tablets or desktops. "We are fully focused on notebooks," Pichai said.

Uh huh, they are fully focused on notebooks until the moment when they realilze that tablets are the future and notebooks are going to become a niche. That's when their laser focus will pivot over to tablets and then it's bye-bye Android.

Chrome is so obviously in Google's interests that this seems an inevitable move to me. Then they don't have to deal with the mess of Android apps they are dealing with. Just Chrome it and it's back to the Web for everyone.

Android users have no clue what's coming.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
At this point, why not just make an Android device in notebook form?

Though, I'd just us an iPad, personally...

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Because they are too scared that they will become irrelevant. They are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. They do not have the creative capacity to compete with Apple, or even Microsoft. All you have to do is look at their Sketchup software or even their iGoogle home page. They design like my grandfather dressed in the 60's. And I think I can smell cigar smoke, too.

Why isn't Google embarrassed for putting out these pieces of crap? I've seen this type of thing over the years where a company wants to live too far in the future only to get slapped in the face by reality. At least Apple (in more recent years) doesn't release something until the technology is there to make it viable.

slembcke

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Minnesota
I... just don't get it. So it's a netbook that is gimped by a useless OS that doesn't do anything other than browse the web? How absolutely useless. I don't understand why Google keeps pursuing their Chrome OS project. What possible advantage would this have over the netbook I bought last year for $250? I mean it's not like you need a powerful machine to view websites or play flash games. Heck that's half of what I do with that machine.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Sounds interesting. But I'd also say some Linux distro would be better for a slower machine, such as a netbook. I'd never try Windows on a netbook, more like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Why isn't Google embarrassed for putting out these pieces of crap?

BGFG: By Geeks, For Geeks.

When you are a company run by geeks, you get stuff that geeks love and everyone else goes, huh?

Apple is run by Steve Jobs who knows what the consumer wants, and gets its design from Jonny Ive who knows more about design than just about anyone alive.

Thus you get clunky but useful tech from Google (but look at the specs!!!!!), and elegant usefulness from Apple.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
D.O.A. The iPad killed the netbook just by it's self what makes them think they can sell them with the addition of Android, Win7 mobile, and Blackberry tablets, and as has been pointed out you can get a full featured laptop for just about the same money.

This is absolutely incorrect. The netbook is still alive, and will continue to be for some time because a netbook can be used as a full fledged computer. Yes, it might be slow, but eh, if you have $200 you can get a netbook. Good luck with an ipad.

Next you'll be telling me the ipad killed the macbook pro, eh? I like my macbook air much, much better than any ipad, but I'm also quite competent with computers. I agree with Woz-Mac OS, easy to use as it may be-is too hard for most people to understand outside of a few tasks. The ipad is the computer for the rest of the population.

Ultra-computer literate people will never view a closed marketplace as more than a toy. Not to say toys aren't fun. Its not hating the walled garden. The walled garden makes a nice little safe place to fool around. It is what it is. Its not for too many geeks.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
This seems like the probable future of computing.

But the future hasn't arrived yet I think google may be trying to rush this development w/o the infrastructure to back it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.