Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I bought the PS AG film for my iPad 2 and got ready for installation. For the life of me, I could not remove all the lint from my screen prior to installation. Every time the screen was bare, some more lint would land on the screen (probably because I have cats). I decided to have Best Buy install it instead...

So the Geek Squad guy charges me $15 for installation. I cringe, but think, hey one time fee then I'm all done and happy. He totally messed up the install. There was so much lint between the film and the screen. He said it was not his problem and more of Power Supports fault. I showed him my iPhone that has a PS film on it with no lint (I installed this at my bro's house out of state). He refunded me back the install fee and said he would put on a Zagg AG film since he literally ruined the PS film I had given him.

The Zagg film was a PoS. It has a rubbery feel and the AG on it makes reading unbearable. Once I got home I tore it off my iPad and wrote to Best Buy corporate office. They were nice enough to send me a $30 gift card for my trouble.

So now I'm back to square one. I'd like to still get a PS AG film on the iPad, but have no idea where to go so that it is installed properly with no lint. Any ideas? Anyone in the Portland, OR area where I can take this to?

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
No I haven't. Sounds like an idea though. I might do a test run tonight and see how long it takes for lint to start landing on the screen again.

Lindalou

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I did a wet install, went on flawlessly, not one piece of lint or bubbles. First time ever applying a protector and it took 10 minutes. Beginners luck, maybe?

I cleaned screen first with just water and micro cloth, sprayed water on the screen and peeled a few inches of protective backing on PS, sprayed that with water. Centered PS around on/off button, held down with one hand and pulled the rest of the backing off. Since there was water, I was able to move PS around til it was perfectly centered. Took credit card with micro cloth wrapped around and started from center pressing out excess water and it was perfection!

There are a couple of youtube videos floating around about wet installs.

good luck!

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I'm not too worried about applying the film, it's more of a case of not having any lint. My house is just a haven for lint.

Xeanor

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Every house is full of dust. Some more than others depending on how often you clean the place, but the hot shower method is the only surefire way to do a dry install. Don't even think of trying without it.

josun

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
There's nothing wrong with PS AG films. I've used PS films for years and never had an install problem. It's funny how that guy blamed his lack of skill to the film that everybody loves. :p

I don't like the idea of wasting gallons and gallons of water for such an insignificant thing so I do dry install with scotch tapes which I think is just as effective but faster. If you don't feel comfortable doing the dry install, try the shower method since it's easier.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I've installed 3 iPhone PS AG films with little to no problem. They are much easier though compared to the iPad films because of the large surface area which can easily attract lint. The Best Buy crew were idiots. The guy was trying to squeegee out a bubble with lint in it already. I told him stop! That won't work! Of course the damage was done and he bent that area of the film. These guys only know how to install zagg films. A monkey can install one of those.

Anyway, I'll probably buy another PS and try to install it when my wife takes a shower. I couldn't see myself running the water for that long either.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
In case you have not yet installed the protector, be sure to have a piece of tape handy (just the kind you wrap presents with is fine). Then if you do get some lint under it you can gently lift the protector and use the tape to get the lint off that way.

It's actually easier than most people make it seem. Line it up and drop it on. The quicker you can do this the lsee likely you will have lint.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Anyway, I'll probably buy another PS and try to install it when my wife takes a shower.
If my wife was taking a shower, I certainly would not be sitting in the bathroom installing a screen protector. :p

swishbrade

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
If my wife was taking a shower, I certainly would not be sitting in the bathroom installing a screen protector. :p

Haha! Good one. But for couples with years of marriage behind them, I'll bet installing a piece of screen protector wouldn't be the weirdest thing that a husband could be caught doing while the girl's in the shower.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010

LOL! We have different work schedules so in the morning I'm the one taking care of our little girl while mommy gets ready for work. I'll just sneak into the bathroom and start with the install. Don't worry, I won't peek. ;)

f1restarter

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
London
Also it will help a lot to have a can of compressed air for those stubborn dust specks. I have a cat too and yes I know how hard it can be to clean the iPad screen but for me the shower was the only option.

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal
Tip that I got from PowerSupport: if you get a lot of dust and lint on your film, use a lint roller (one that uses minimally tacky tape) to remove the offending particles. I had to do a swap of my iPad 2 recently and in the process of moving the film from the old to the new unit got it seemingly hopelessly contaminated. I called up PS customer service to order a new film and was told that they sometimes resort to the lint roller. In my case, I was able to remove most of the dust and lint from my old AG film, and removed the last few offenders with scotch tape.

The only problem that I ran into was that rolling the lint roller over the film repeatedly seemed to really build up the static charge on the film, so that it was tougher to align the film to the new unit.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I installed the PS AG film on my iPad 2 today, no bubbles, perfect line up. I did the shower trick which did help out, but still had about 5 lint bubbles after the first pass. I then lifted the film with some tape and used some more tape to take the lint off. In the end, it looks great and I couldn't be happier.

Patience and persistence...and a nice steamy room!

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I installed the PS AG film on my iPad 2 today, no bubbles, perfect line up. I did the shower trick which did help out, but still had about 5 lint bubbles after the first pass. I then lifted the film with some tape and used some more tape to take the lint off. In the end, it looks great and I couldn't be happier.

Patience and persistence...and a nice steamy room!

Congrats.

An0nym0us

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
So with the tape trick you just stick the scotch tape under the protector where the lint/dust is and it'll take it off?

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, but remember not to stick the entire piece on the film or you'll have problems removing the tape. Just jab the tape on the film. Whenever I did have lint it was always stuck on the film and not the iPad screen.

Remember too not to bend the part of the film you are holding up too much. That can cause a crease in the film. I think if you focus and just be patient you will be fine.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Using water for an install on an electronic device when it's not necessary?? Makes me shudder to think of all the possible complications

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Using water for an install on an electronic device when it's not necessary?? Makes me shudder to think of all the possible complications

your not submerging the device in water just spraying the water on the film and your suppose to be careful not to let water in to the open ports.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I didn't use any water on mine when I installed the film. Dry install. I just needed the steam from the shower to bring down most of the lint flying in the air.

club1820

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Berwyn
anyone have a discount code for this? i've search but havent found any. with shipping comes out to $35. anything to get this a bit lower would help.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.