Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I've got my new iMac 27" with i7 yesterday. I've selected the 1TB hard drive. It's my first iMac, but I think that the hard drive is quite noisy. Especially compared to my 13" MBP (2010). Other people having this issue?

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
It all comes down to luck. I had a noisy seagate HDD, swapped it for another seagate HDD, and the one I have now is completely quiet, not a sound.

If you know it's going to bother you, dont wait like I did. Enjoy you computer, when mine made noise, I didn't even like using it. Now I love it.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
I also have a 27" 2011 iMac and my HD is virtually silent certainly in comparison to my external HD that sounds like a jet spooling up sometimes.
I think the problem is that iMacs tend to be so quiet anyways that any sound however slight gets noticed more than a PC where the fans are blowing like crazy. ;)

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
make sure you don't have a CD/DVD in the drive if you don't need to. Those tend to be quite loud when being read/written to and can be confused with hard drive noise

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I also have a 27" 2011 iMac and my HD is virtually silent certainly in comparison to my external HD that sounds like a jet spooling up sometimes.
I think the problem is that iMacs tend to be so quiet anyways that any sound however slight gets noticed more than a PC where the fans are blowing like crazy. ;)

Yeahr, I was thinking something like that. All my other PCs had the same HDD sound when using the drive - but not as notable because of fans. Just wondering that the HDD noise is louder then the fans in the iMac.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
The 1TB HDD seems to generally (although not exclusively) be a Seagate Drive. Since the refresh in 2009 many people have complained about the fact that this drive seems to constantly "rumble / gurgle" away even when the iMac is seemingly dormant. I had this issue and it irritated me so much I returned the iMac and upgraded to the 2TB drive - this is generally an Hitachi drive and doesn't suffer from this distracting noise.

For those that say HDD's are a mechanical media and therefore will make a noise I would totally agree - however this particular Seagate drive model is very odd - it sounds almost like your stomach is constantly rumbling. Considering the effort Apple went to keeping Fan noise low it seemed an odd choice of HDD to install as it destroys any notion of a quiet iMac.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
The hard drive model in my new iMac is: WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0. It is hard to decide, if I should contact Apple and send my new machine back - or just live with it. All HDD in my other PC have the exact same noise on activity - the only difference is that this device has no other noise, and because of that, I notice it.

When I'm writing here, it is very silent. But if I eg. starts Pages or Numbers, I can hear the HDD spinning - or what it is. Is that normal?

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
The hard drive model in my new iMac is: WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0. It is hard to decide, if I should contact Apple and send my new machine back - or just live with it. All HDD in my other PC have the exact same noise on activity - the only difference is that this device has no other noise, and because of that, I notice it.

When I'm writing here, it is very silent. But if I eg. starts Pages or Numbers, I can hear the HDD spinning - or what it is. Is that normal?

My 2009 iMac HD 1 TB is very quiet. Here is the model - ST31000528ASQ - looks like they are using a different brand in the 2011 version?

jaglad

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Royston, UK

That is a WD Caviar Black HD, I put the exact same drive in my iMac and it is a noisy drive when accessing, it reminds me of the WD Raptor drives I used to have in my MacPro.

The WD Caviar Black range is WD fastest range of 7200rpm drives, they have a 64Mb cache along with a few other enhancements. I think the speed of the drive equates to the noise your hearding. I have recently put the 2TB WD Caviar Black drive in my iMac and this one makes the exact same noise, they are just noisy drives but take heart in knowing you have one of the fastest 7200rpm drives out there.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London

that is the downside of apples unibody , and the fact the iMac is a all in one computer and as such the harddrive sits direct in front of your ears , and the big uninibody case acts like a big reflector and throws any internally made sound towards the user

I have just bought a new 27" 2011 model with 1TB Western Digital drive and the hdd is easily audible, as you describe.

I noticed it straight away, but it's no big deal for me, as I've come to the iMac from a life with macbooks, which you can obviously also hear all the time, due to proximity.

I think you should give it a week or so, see if it still bugs you and if it does, talk to Apple.

I couldn't really be more impressed with the machine in general.

I'm guessing you've got the 1TB HDD - if so check what brand of HDD you have installed (ABOUT THIS MAC->MORE INFO) and I'll bet it's a Seagate Drive? If so it's an issue going back to 2009 iMac's - The 1TB iMacs seemed to mostly have Seagate drives and many reported a strange constant "gurgling" sound. I had it and it drove me mad - so much so I upgraded to the 2TB HDD which was generally a Hitachi manufactured drive and the problem was gone.

Above are some of the useful posts I received when I raised the same issue about a 2010 27" i5 I recently bought.

I can't stand it, after paying nearly £1200, so I'm sending mine back and am going to wait for a SSD refurb to turn up. More expensive still, but to me an outlay this large needs to be not unpleasant to use.

(Please forgive the double negative, it's not meant to be representative of my mood! :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.