Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macforum2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I just brought this macbook in November 2009 and my bottom is already coming off. It looks really bad now. I don't know what to do, should I travel to the Apple store to see what they will do?

My 1year warranty isn't up yet.

Will Apple charge me? If they did charge me how much would they charge?

Also if u don't have a rubber bottom and showing the aluminum bottom can that mess up your laptop. Mines isn't off all the way but the side and top is off.

thanks for the feedback in advance.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I just brought this macbook in November 2009 and my bottom is already coming off. It looks really bad now. I don't know what to do, should I travel to the Apple store to see what they will do?

My 1year warranty isn't up yet.

Will Apple charge me? If they did charge me how much would they charge?

Also if u don't have a rubber bottom and showing the aluminum bottom can that mess up your laptop. Mines isn't off all the way but the side and top is off.

thanks for the feedback in advance.

Still under warranty = Apple fixes it for free*

It's as simple as that.

*providing the problem isn't from something the user has done (eg: dropping the computer)

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Head to a store for a genius bar appointment and as long as it's not through your own neglect or mistreatment, they'll fix it for free.

Macforum2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks a lot, im going to go tomorrow. I'll tell you guys the outcome.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Just outta curiosity, could you post some pics of the wearing off? Also, what kinda use have you put it through? Fairly gentle or do you take it everywhere with you?

Sorry, just wanna know cause my brother just bought one last week.

Macforum2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Just outta curiosity, could you post some pics of the wearing off? Also, what kinda use have you put it through? Fairly gentle or do you take it everywhere with you?

Sorry, just wanna know cause my brother just bought one last week.

Yeah I'll post pics tonight, I sit it on my lap a lot and I could've been a lot more gentle but it happened last night when it was on lap in my car. I think the heat melted the glue because thats when it lifted up.

Also mac users when I go to the store tomorrow do I bring my receipt? I didnt buy that warranty.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Yeah I'll post pics tonight, I sit it on my lap a lot and I could've been a lot more gentle but it happened last night when it was on lap in my car. I think the heat melted the glue because thats when it lifted up.

Also mac users when I go to the store tomorrow do I bring my receipt? I didnt buy that warranty.

if you've had it for under a year, it isnt necessary to bring the reciept. but, if you have it on hand and have easy access to it, it wouldnt hurt to bring the reciept.

Macforum2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I'm still here, pics coming tonight, I didn't go to the store yet because I had graduation. I'm going to tomorrow morning. I don't need to bring my computer to the store do I? Just go in to make an appointment.

I have a feeling their going to try to get over on me. Maybe I should bring my mom or dad.

missinbyte

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Well like you the same thing happened to me at the weekend, was fine one minute the next thing the rubber was coming off. Im off to Bullring apple store tomorrow to see if they will exchange for a mac pro cause its only six months old has cracks on the hinges and now the rubber is coming off so to me this seems like a design flaw and paying £850 i want it to last longer than 12months :mad:

Will let you know how i get on :rolleyes:

a1a68e396d0147998a440f4256100930.jpg

Macforum2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Well like you the same thing happened to me at the weekend, was fine one minute the next thing the rubber was coming off. Im off to Bullring apple store tomorrow to see if they will exchange for a mac pro cause its only six months old has cracks on the hinges and now the rubber is coming off so to me this seems like a design flaw and paying £850 i want it to last longer than 12months :mad:

Will let you know how i get on :rolleyes:

a1a68e396d0147998a440f4256100930.jpg

Yeah mines is like that too...and the weird thing is both of ours is 6months old...do you think they will give us a pro? I don't know but am going tomorrow.....I hate the fact that I have to be really careful now. Not only that but a greenish-brown stain on my case.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yeah mines is like that too...and the weird thing is both of ours is 6months old...do you think they will give us a pro? I don't know but am going tomorrow.....I hate the fact that I have to be really careful now. Not only that but a greenish-brown stain on my case.

Generally Apple will just replace the defective part (for example, if it means simply unscrewing the bottom and putting on a new bottom case). Otherwise they will replace it with an identical machine or, if unavailable, the latest version of that same model (in other words, not a Pro).

missinbyte

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Otherwise they will replace it with an identical machine or, if unavailable, the latest version of that same model (in other words, not a Pro).

Well i can only hope, but im sure a sh*t letting them know this is a flaw and if it happens again i want it swapped for a pro (paying the extra £150) or my complete money back otherwise it will be trading standards and as much media attention i can get with other people with the same defect joining with me. :D

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
It is worth noting that the genius bar is by appointment only, and if you live far you better not travel there only to find out that they can't help you that day.

macuser9214

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Same thing happened to mine; the rubber is /not/ covered under the warranty apparently. Costs $100 and some change. They also didn't have it at the store, so I have to bring my macbook back in a few days when it comes in.

That's my experience.

MailJunky1

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Warranty or No Warranty?

Did they cover the repair of the rubber bottom?
I have the same issue - I bought mine new as a Boxing week sale Dec 09, and the bottom is coming off - will Apple cover the repair or not?
It seems like a design issue - off course I think they should offer free repairs for any unit under a year old. I'm concerned about dust, dirt, hair etc getting into the base and causing great issues.

jmac1642

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
vancouver bc canada
macbook rubber bottom delaminating

6 months after buying the 13" macbook i noticed 2 blisters appear on the bottom. a week later the blisters had enlarged and the rubber bottom started to separate from the aluminum at one of the edges.

took it into the apple store, they ordered a replacement bottom, called me 2 days later to come in and have it replaced - took about 15 minutes.
no charge - no hassle - still under warranty.

both techs i spoke with had seen this before - one offered that it had been exposed to too much sunlight (this macbook has never seen a sunbeam and moves only between my desk and lap; treated very gently - it doesn't leave the house).

both techs said this was a function of 'not enough glue'.

disappointed that it failed after 6 months, but pleased that it was repaired quickly and cheerfully.

hoping that the new bottom is better than new and ready to be as durable and trusty as my 3 previous macs.

jmac1642

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
vancouver bc canada
warranty

peeling bottom is definitely under warranty,
apple told me this over the phone,
and the apple store folk also said so - they replaced the bottom in less than 15 minutes with no charge

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
man that's bs, what happens if you are out of warranty? love my 2010 macbook but man id be pissed if this is happening to my mac. :mad: they should give us a free applecare extension cause i think its bs that I have to contemplate buying a warranty extension cause of their shoddy work

Drej44

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
Oh bs

This annoys me, I have gotten mine replaced twice, the guys at the store said they have never seen this before, both times. Right now its peeled off just as bad as usual, I am heading in soon to deal with it for the third time. So if its happening to others then it sounds like they are ignoring the problem.

Last time I went though one guy thought it might be because it gets really hot, while you are moving it around on your lap the friction can pull it off, but the area is between my legs, and looks like yours came off in the middle as well. If it were because of friction from jeans or something like that I think it should be where your legs are, more to the outside, and the middle should be the last to pull off.

Besides if this friction thing is the case, it would be a huge defect. If you can't put it on you lap because this might happen, then why is it called a LAPtop.

Also does anyone know if they make a metal bottom for these macs, I am pretty sure i have the same one as Macforum2, just a regular mac.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
If it were because of friction from jeans or something like that I think it should be where your legs are, more to the outside, and the middle should be the last to pull off.

well, maybe the parts that get hot (hdd-cpu) are in the middle. and also, try pushing a paper from the left+right side (like the laptop on your lap) to the middle and around. youll notice that the middle is the part thats moving up and down,, not the edges. i hope you get the point.
but really, poor poor construction. i want a mac and waiting for the new white one, i just hope that it doesn't have this problem.

prepdi

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
From the middle

Hi

I have a Mac that's exactly one year old, ie, purchased on the 22nd of April, 2010. I just noticed my rubber bottom has come off from the middle, right below the trackpad. I think my warranty lasted only a year - any idea how much apple will charge to repair this?

elbaseball212

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Had the exact same problem as pictures above in this thread. Bought my macbook white 13.3" back in december of 2009 and the warranty is expired. brought it in to the apple store today and they fixed it for free. not only did they fix it they replaced it with a brand new rubber bottom. the employees were nice as always at the international plaza store in tampa, fl. very good experience.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 2,106
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 2,943

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
the apple store tends to go through with this repair because essentially they get reimbursed $39 for a tier 1 repair (unscrewing 8 screws, replacing the bottom plate and reinstalling those 8 screws). All of which is accomplished in under 2 minutes

bwieland

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
i was having the same problem with my macbook, and it seems like it has started to happen again but, when i brought it to the apple store near my house apple sent me a new computer and they updated my 2 year apple care which gave me another full 2 years, basically it was like i just bought the computer that day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.