Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
What's wrong with all of you trolls?? I think it's wonderful that we now have to use proprietary Hard Drives in our iMacs. Think about it, do you really want to use a "crappy, clunky, and junky" Windows Hard Drive??

AS you know, Apple doesn't cater to tinkerers. Leave a highly technical job (like changing out a Hard Drive) to the experts, The Apple Geniuses.

And on top of that, since Apple will charge a BIG markup to replace these drives (plus labor), That means HIGHER Stock Prices!!!! Woooo Hooo AND More profits for APPLE!!!!!!! (I hope they put Elegant Apple stickers on them!)

Microsoft is TOAST!!!!! WOOOO HOOOO.. THANKS STEVE!!! Now, let's make the App store the only method of installing software on our elegant, delicious, magical, and sexy Macs Now!!!!

Microsoft makes software, vendors give you the option of what hardware you want to run it on.

Apple is not using any special hard drive here. Its a regular old drive with a proprietary port and thermal monitoring.

OSX is the stepchild at Apple now. iOS has completely raped the development of OSX. Any longtime Mac user knows that.

What the point of sexy hardware if you have to blow and beg only Apple to fix it? I mean come on, really? Just the ram is upgradeable now? Apple wants to sell sealed, disposable products. You are good to buy them because they are trendy and in your mind fashionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
apple is so full of themselves it's just stupid. They are acting like a cult camp run by a dictator, who is now more out of control than ever. It's painful to watch when you are a very ardent apple fan. Lately, it seems like everyday there is news from apple that is negative and self centered to the extreme.

exactly!

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I wasn't going to rub it in but... my AAPL shares will go up. Trust me, apple cares more about my opinion, and other investors like myself, than it does about the tear-down tech junkies.

When I read this rumor site I do it purely to get an early jump on apple decisions, but in doing so i have learned something. Most of you guys actually think that huge businesses care about these little geek wars, don't you?

Do you know why OSX is incorporating more iOS features? Because even computer illiterate grandmothers can use it. People who can actually understand application builds, and program code are so far off apples radar it not even funny.

If you like the products, thats awesome, but don't think that apple is going to change a single thing because you whine about it. Apple used to be more friendly to the niche consumer because they were failing, and couldn't afford to lose a single customer... as you can see. that is no longer the case.

And that thinking is what put MS where they are today. No? Perhaps there is a long change in the wind.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Well OK then.
When my 6 month old iMac croaks I guess it will be hello Windows for the first time in my life. Actually my HD is making more noise than my coffee machine right now so before my warranty expires i guess I will risk it and get one of their geniuses to instal a new one. God help me!
Apple are pushing the limits lately and I for one am over their strong arm tactics....which get worse every day.
This WILL bite them down the road.
Like any Tyrannical Empire or Big Brother regime...they are destined to fall eventually when the common people revolt.
Yeh I know....I'm revolting ;)

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
one would think they are smart enough to have figured out if it was using different connectors and the like. It's not like this is their first teardown.

I agree iFixit knows what they're doing, and if they noticed a different connector, it would most likely prompt further investigation. It's odd they didn't mention anything.

mack pro

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Microsoft makes software, vendors give you the option of what hardware you want to run it on.

Apple is not using any special hard drive here. Its a regular old drive with a proprietary port and thermal monitoring.

OSX is the stepchild at Apple now. iOS has completely raped the development of OSX. Any longtime Mac user knows that.

What the point of sexy hardware if you have to blow and beg only Apple to fix it? I mean come on, really? Just the ram is upgradeable now? Apple wants to sell sealed, disposable products. You are good to buy them because they are trendy and in your mind fashionable.

Sarcasm owns you

The way I see it you're paying $2000 for an underpowered computer (for $2000) anyways. What's another couple hundred for a hdd? Taking apart an imac is just asking for trouble with dust. Anybody who pays $2000 for an imac probably isn't smart enough to replace a hdd anyway. Apple is just trying to save you people from yourselves you should be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
BTW Arn...this post is a good reason why I miss the old like/dislike buttons on the homepage. Would love to see that stat right now!

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I can't see why OCW is creating mass panic without proper testing. This will hurt their reputation for sure.

There are people who replaced their HDD and the AHT passed successfully, no speeding fans and all this bull.

Apple is not readin the temp via the fancy 7 wire connector as many have proven this way before the lame OCW report.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Apple is so full of themselves it's just stupid. They are acting like a cult camp run by a dictator, who is now more out of control than ever. It's painful to watch when you are a very ardent Apple fan. Lately, it seems like everyday there is news from Apple that is negative and self centered to the extreme.

I hate to say this, but it's like they are purposely building an Evil Empire :eek:

(I can hear the retorts now from iFans as they bash Google and MS, as though that will show how smart they are)

Could not have said it better myself.
They are completely out of control and getting worse every day.
SJ really does believe all the hype about himself and his Company.
Nothing lasts forever!

palebluesatire

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I think it's great that Apple is doing this. People are tampering with their Macs and their problems ruin Apple's good name. Macs should stay the way they are and should not be upgraded except for the RAM maybe. If you want to customise your computer and upgrade it when the time comes, get a PC. Getting a Mac ensures a safe and static experience.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I love all of the "sky is falling" from Apple fans these days especially the OSX equals iOS regime.

Its pretty funny.

I use Apple because I like their products. OS X is still OS X and it isn't going anywhere not matter what chicken little says.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I agree iFixit knows what they're doing, and if they noticed a different connector, it would most likely prompt further investigation. It's odd they didn't mention anything.
yep and recent experiences with owc have me a bit weary about this story... if at least someone else would come out and confirm it... we don't have any iMac customers who have tried replacing their drives yet?

I just can't imagine OWC were the first people to try to pop a different drive into the iMac. Guess we will find out soon enough, until then i'm reserving my stance on this issue.

komrade008

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
iMac has always been a pretty much closed system. You *KNOW* that going into it. When ur HD goes kaputskov u go to teh Apple Store and they put in a new one. Oh noes, teh dreaded Apple Store! lol... c'mon ppl

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I too replaced the 7 wire connector with a plain 4 wire SATA power splitter and AHT passed without problems with no speeding fans.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I can't see why OCW is creating mass panic without proper testing. This will hurt their reputation for sure.

There are people who replaced their HDD and the AHT passed successfully, no speeding fans and all this bull.

Apple is not readin the temp via the fancy 7 wire connector as many have proven this way before the lame OCW report.
ahh thank you... i knew OWC couldn't be the first to try to throw a new drive in the iMac. Also thought it was weird that nobody else mentioned this (even ifixit claimed the drives were easy to replace).

Another scar in OWC's image... they have certainly been demoted to the bottom of my tech list after the shenanigans they pull with ssd's and now this!

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Possible Workaround: Does anyone know how credible the reports of successfully attaching a DVD-drive temperature sensor while replacing the hard drive* in the previous i3/5/7 iMac are? Please explain if I'm wrong, but in theory, there could be an iFixit kit that would separate the 7-pin into your regular SATA connector and a connector to fit onto a spare temperature sensor that would restore normal fan operation.

*I think that on the previous generation of iMacs, one would need to use the same brand of drive to ensure that proper temperature sensing data would be routed to the computer. Otherwise, the same kind of out-of-control fan behavior would be an issue.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Your comment was accurate in the beginning, but then you brought up Android for no reason. You brought up a mobile operating system in a desktop HARDWARE thread. Why? For a useless, inaccurate comparison?

Android is an open-source operating system. One of the Android project leads even said so two days ago at Google I/O. More to the point, what are you referring to? Do you mean to say that phones cannot upgrade to the latest version of the OS? Blame it on the OEMs who don't send out the updates due to the massive customization they've done to it. Do you mean that some carriers block the side-loading of applications? Blame it on the carriers.

But please, for the love of God, please don't bring up Android/iOS flame-bait in a topic about iMac hard drive upgrades, it just makes you look silly.

Though most of your argument is correct what your saying, your also stating that Google is blameless since once they hand over control of the OS to the carrier and makers. Then they should not say its an open system from just their point. Now if you tell me I can download the OS from Google and circumvent what the manufacture or carrier have done then its an open system.

Its easy to say we made an open system but its everyone else fault that its not open any more. Does not hold water in my book as a true open OS but I guess it does in yours. Either way I could care less, like all things we have now a days they are in one way or another changed at the whim of the company whether you like it or not.

Lets see how many more years Google keeps telling it self Android OS is open any bets? :D

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
This article just needs to be deleted... bunch of bogus!

At least edit it because people are ripping :apple: apart (for good reason, if it were true) but this is FALSE information.

I knew to expect that coming from OWC...

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I honestly question whether profit would be enough of a motive in itself. How many people actually take apart iMacs to install new hard drives? Not enough IMO to actually motivate anyone to conceive and implement such a change, for the sole purpose of locking out user replacements.

I think the change was for technical reasons, as hinted at in the original story:

Now I'm sure Apple could do it other ways, but they're not going to go out of their way to make iMac HD's user-replaceable, since so few people do it anyway.

I would be surprised (and disappointed) if Apple does something similar with their notebooks, which have a user-accessible HD bay. I think in a mobile notebooks HD failure is perhaps more common, so locking out user replacements would be a worse PR move. We'll see.

Exactly, everyone moaning on here is just a small subset of the population that might even try to change their HDD's. I would bet that half the people posting on this thread would never change their iMac's HDD - they just want the option to be easy if they were to :rolleyes:.

Odds are in 2 months suitable replacements will be on the market making this whole discussion a complete waste of time.

mack pro

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I think it's great that Apple is doing this. People are tampering with their Macs and their problems ruin Apple's good name. Macs should stay the way they are and should not be upgraded except for the RAM maybe. If you want to customise your computer and upgrade it when the time comes, get a PC. Getting a Mac ensures a safe and static experience.

Your a funny guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.