Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BossTow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
3 of the 4 corners of my case have developed cracks and/or chips in the plastic. There is no skin/protector on the back of my iPad 2, so fitment within the case should not be an issue.

I am completely certain it has never been dropped or mishandled in any way. No exposure to sunlight or temperature changes, etc. I've emailed Switcheasy about getting a replacement.

The picture here is the worst of the 3 corners. The color is charcoal, though it looks brown in the pic.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 264

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Last night I removed my iPad from the Canvas for the first time and I noticed how it was possible to break parts of the plastic case while doing this. Did these breaks and chips happen during install or removal? Did you take it in and out of the case many times?

BossTow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Did these breaks and chips happen during install or removal? Did you take it in and out of the case many times?

No problems during install, and I have not removed the Ipad 2 from the case since I first installed it 3 weeks ago.

The chips in the picture from the original post started as hairline cracks. The same thing is happening in 2 other corners.

My theory is that the plastic compound is somewhat brittle, and perhaps just the tension/torsion of the device fitting so snugly in the case leads to these cracks and eventual chips.

I did a search and found a Youtube review of the case that shows a similar issue at 2:29.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnknWvvOsE4

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Yikes...I just ordered my second one tonight. I've had one for a month now that my wife is using and no problems yet. I've taken it in and out several times and it never felt brittle or fragile in that regard. Sure hope it's an isolated issue. Hate it for you though. Keep us posted how they respond to your problem. Good luck,

Afro Blu

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
....Lovely

Just lovely, after the all the drama with these cases being sold out and then waiting for one.

After seeing this, I look at the corner of my case...

There is crack in the corner. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and I've never removed or dropped it it. :mad:

JaredVegas

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
The same thing is happening to my case. I was just getting ready to mail SwitchEasy about it. Thought I would check to see if was a common issue on these cases. :mad:

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    298 KB · Views: 140
  • photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 156

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Anyone know what type of warranty/return policy they have? I had no luck finding any info on their website.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Hopefully it's just isolated. I've taken my iPad out of the case three times since getting it a month ago. Still works well. Not too worried as SwitchEasy seems to honor their warranty pretty easily with no issues.

farme

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
My Canvas also has cracked in three of the four corners, withou any external force :(
I can only hope the replacemant will be better...

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Straight from the Video mentioned above:

I'd suggest they have some serious manufacturing problems and it's going to be a massive recall.

Attachments

• cracked.jpg
    cracked.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 127

Lindalou

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Mine just cracked yesterday...huge hunk of one corner just broke off. Very rarely took it out of case, had it for less than a month.

Not happy. Don't want another one. Waiting for the white Toblino.

AshleyCh

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
I have to say their customer service is really good!!
6/22 10:11pm - email to switcheasy and describe the cracks on my case
6/22 10:14pm- got respond and asked me to provide detail information
6/22 10:42pm - sent out email with case picture to proof and original payment receipt
6/22 11:07pm - got respond and told me my replacement request has been sent to warehouse
6/23 10:57am - got email with tracking number
6/25 3:00pm - got my new canvas case!!! :)

For the manufacturer defects,I can tolerate that as long as it didn't scratch my ipad and I can get replacment or they can provide a solution to make me satisfied. I am pretty happy with my case and their customer service.

P.s. Their warranty is 2 years from the date you purchased. (kind of long for a case,but that is good for me!)

gchilcoat

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Cracked Case

I just had the same problem with a crack in the corner of the case. Great experience with Customer Service and the warranty. Good company.

neweipadfan

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I just had the same problem with a crack in the corner of the case. Great experience with Customer Service and the warranty. Good company.

got to have great customer service when you have a crappy product same a last year. If they spent more on the product and less on customer service they could possibly fix the issue. dont you think?

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I have to say their customer service is really good!!
6/22 10:11pm - email to switcheasy and describe the cracks on my case
6/22 10:14pm- got respond and asked me to provide detail information
6/22 10:42pm - sent out email with case picture to proof and original payment receipt
6/22 11:07pm - got respond and told me my replacement request has been sent to warehouse
6/23 10:57am - got email with tracking number
6/25 3:00pm - got my new canvas case!!! :)

For the manufacturer defects,I can tolerate that as long as it didn't scratch my ipad and I can get replacment or they can provide a solution to make me satisfied. I am pretty happy with my case and their customer service.

P.s. Their warranty is 2 years from the date you purchased. (kind of long for a case,but that is good for me!)

May I ask how you contacted their customer service ? was it via email (if so what address did you use ?)

Thanks.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Maybe I don't carry it outside my home on a daily basis, both of the SwitchEasy cases are doing okay. I have also taking the iPad for a few times as I was putting a SGP matte skin on the back, switching a few screen protectors, etc.

I also vote for SwitchEasy customer service as it is top-notch and super quick ---- I got replacement for complete failure of the velcro for one of the cases(i.e., tried all things myself on fixing the velcro, and showed solid video proof to them) and they honour the warranty.

Hopefully no cracks in my cases in near future...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.