Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Iphon2 3G - Restore through Itune 10.2.1.1 - Not working

My phone stuck/freeze on apple logo I reset through Itune and restore now I put sim inside the phone - msg pop up that sim not supported - look like I have to load jailbreak, I try iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore half the way error pop up and unable to download further.. Is there anybody help me what should I do?? to restore my phone....Thanks

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Completely stuck

iPhone 3Gs, was running JB 4.0.1 for ages. Thought I had saved SHSH for 4.0.1 but seems I hadn't. Now I'm suck with iPh constantly rebooting itself, I can read FS with CyberDuck. No idea what's wrong (wish I could find some mutant kext or such).

Anyway restore via option Restore through iTunes won't let me use 4.0.1 (verification failure). Cydia warns loudly not to move from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. But no mention of whether perhaps 4.1 is OK (I have SHSH for that).

Any suggestions from the knowledgeable please. I've been stuck for a week and more!

I would love to know most robust iOS version to run on 3Gs JB-ed. And best (most robust/rigorous) JB to use (redsnow, pwnage, greenpoison, ...)?

And pointers to where solid/quality/competent/rigorous documentation on this can be found.

H e l p ... (cries this bewildered little mouse).

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
So much written, yet so confusing, but so much context missing from posts. Surprising that this topic is now a magnet for those that enjoy sorting out a mess. I'm sure that such must exist somewhere.

At this rate, the iPhone5 will be out before I get my 3Gs working again!

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Rather disappointing that so many try to spam MacRumors.

Anyway I've now installed iOS 4.1 as I couldn't find a way to get 4.0.1 back. I hadn't realised that it would update my baseband, so now I can't unlock that.

I suspect that I'm talking to myself, and that my questions should be directed somewhere else, but the initial post of this thread seemed so on target.

So now to discover how to back-grade the baseband ...

kuchiki1o

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
unjailbreak my iphone

i have a problem in restoring my iphone 4
whenever i tried to restore it i came up with an error 3194
is anything i can to fix it?
well i mistakenly updated my iphone to 4.3.2
then i tried to jailbreak it when i turn off my phone i am stuck in the apple logo
i just wanted to unjailbreak my iphone but this error shows up every time i even use other computers to restore it but its the same..please help

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
kuchiki1o,
I'm so no expert, but I'm sure it'll help if you can give as much specific detail as possible.
I'm coming to the conclusion that a lot of confusion derives from people assume others have the same system and setup as themselves.

On your problem. Have you saved an SHSH blob for 4.3.2 on that phone? When you say you want to unjailbreak your iPhone, what do you mean by that. Wipe it clean and install 4.3.2?

There's tons of advice on the web, IMHO most only partially informed, often misleading and potentially damaging. It seems we have to reverse engineer our way through a blizzard of misinformation, but if you slog on and never take anyone's word for anything unless you have checked and double check their facts ... then answers are probably out there.

I'm sure it helps to ask very clear questions, (there are so many people who might be prepared to try to help) but they cannot easily guess what your setup is. All too often well meaning advice is misguided because the person offering it assumed their setup is the same as yours (when it wasn't).

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
update

I couldn't find a way to get 4.0.1 up so jumped to 4.1 on advice from assorted seemingly authoritative web sites. As a result I unwittingly updated my baseband to one which cannot be unlocked.

My old iPhone 3Gs was a gift from an American friend when he moved on to iPhone 4, I'm in Europe, so I have to unlock it.

Apple can seem to make life unnecessarily difficult sometimes!

Last edited:

wtmcghee

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
My phone has been running kind of slow lately/jerky when switching apps etc even after a restart and manually closing all apps. If I do a reset according to guide should this help fix some of these problems? Thanks.

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
I'm gonna try my luck here and see if I can get some help...

Ok, so I have a jailbroken iphone 4, that I bought directly from Apple (Australia), factory unlocked (so I can put sims from any operator in it).
I am currently running ios 4.2.1 and did the jailbreak through GreenPoison.

I would like to restore my iphone to the latest ios (4.3.3 i believe?) , and have my phone back to its original state: understand not jailbroken, so that I can synch and update my phone normally through itunes.

Now, can I simply follow the procedure described here or are there additional steps I should go through? I have seen many times that I should save the SHSH, is it something I should do or is it safe for me to simply follow the procedure above?

I hope I have given enough details, if this is not the case, please do let me know.
Thanks in advance for the help guys, you all are very knowledgeable! :)

:apple:

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure if I get you meaning phiber. If you have no already saved your SHSH for 4.2.1, you won't be able to go back to it. You need to save SHSHs in advance for each version of iOS as they come out. Apple only issue SHSHs for a short time, so if you don't save them while you can (while they are current) you've missed your chance. I missed out, exactly like that. Once bitten ...

Apple's way of trying to force us to upgrade everything, lose apps, keep spending spending spending (during a double dip recession grr).

Somewhere on Cydia is supposed to offer "Make my life easy" which will save your SHSH as needed. I haven't managed to find that though.

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Hi Olivia,

You mean I HAD to save my SHSH before jailbreaking the iphone?
At the time I jailbroke it I remember clicking the "make my life easier" button, but it is not there any more you are right. I don't understand how I was supposed to save the SHSH before jailbreaking, since the "make my life easier" button was in Cydia, that it when the phone was jailbroken already...?!

So are you saying there is NO WAY for me to ever go back to the current firmware and I am forever condemned to run a JB iphone? :confused:

Last edited:

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
This is obviously a counter-intuitive issue. I didn't get it initially, I think due to misinterpreting the assumptions made.

So here goes trying to explain (as far as I understand it):

Every time an iOS device has its OS installed, it needs to make an SHSH handshake (by default with Apple). The SHSH is the confirmation packet. Apple generates this using unique data from your device. But they only make it for current and very recent iOS releases. So to install older versions of iOS you need to already have saved your SHSH.

Cydia can save your SHSH for you on their server. So later when you go to install that older iOS version, you need to have already had the relevant SHSH stored. So your old iOS installation can get the confirmation SHSH from Cydia rather than from Apple.

So you need to save your device's SHSH for each older iOS version that you will ever want to go back to. If you didn't save it at the time that that iOS version was being issued SHSHs by Apple, you can never go back to that version.

Lets say you have an nice iOS device (iPhone/Pad/podtouch), it is running fine. Maybe you jailbreak it or maybe not, but you don't save the SHSH (you do not need to have jailbroken in order to save its SHSH, you can use TinyUmbrella). Later you update to some later iOS version, but find that you've problems such as broken apps. So you want to restore your old iOS version (jailbroken or not). But you'll find that you cannot. You needed that old SHSH.

So if you have no SHSHs saved, you could stay with the iOS version that you are currently running (for as long as it runs without needing to be restored), or you could give in, install the current iOS version and start from scratch from there, never being able to go back to older versions. But presumably from there on saving your SHSHs as each iOS version comes out just in case you might need it in future. You can use TinyUmbrella for that - it is a lovely neat app, worthy of much praise an dgratitude for what it does.

To sumarise, you can save your device's SHSH at any time (jailbroken or not) but only while Apple is issues its SHSH, which is while Apple's latest iOS release is out, and for a few days after the nest release. After that it is too late.

Does that make it any clearer phiber?

If so, perhaps you could do me a favor - let me know where the "make my life easier" option is hidden (please be very pedantic as I have spent many hours looking for it but never found it). That would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Hi again,

Thanks for your detailed reply, you explained things well and it's much appreciated!

So if I get this right, when you say:

or you could give in, install the current iOS version and start from scratch from there, never being able to go back to older versions.

It seems that I can get the latest ios on my device - in this case 4.3.3 but I won't be able to get my current firmware 4.2.1: is that correct?
If so, this is what I want to achieve: I want to be able to restore my phone to factory settings in order to install the latest ios firmware, not jailbroken.

Can you confirm that?

Now, regarding the make my life easier thing: when I did that, I have ios 4.2.1, and my iphone 4 was jailbroken by greenpoison.
The FIRST time I started Cydia, there was a big button with make my life easier, on the home page, with a red heart in front of it.
I have looked for a video for you on youtube to show what it looks like precisely.
Have a look at this video and you'll see what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoQGkne0iE&NR=1

You really cannot miss it, but I saw that screen only the first time I started Cydia.
I hope this helps!

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Also, you can see at the top of your Cydia home screen the SHSH saved.
The appear in green and it looks like : "SHSH: iOS 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3b1" (this is what I have on my iphone).
This line appears on the video above circled in red at 0:21 seconds in the video.

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Many thanks phiber

I think that Cydia must remove the "Make my life easier" option after we've selected it once. And I must have selected it ages ago.

I'm lost when you refer to iOS and firmware 4.2.1. Trying to unscramble terms, I think the iOS is firmware. Not to be confused with Modem firmware, otherwise know as baseband. These terms are used chaotically all over the place, so I find one needs to do a lot of guess work and turning of blind eyes.

So you should be able to install any iOS version that you have SHSHs for, plus the current version 4.3.3 (Apple will issue the appropriate SHSH).

However beware of one thing that caught me out. Various sites said it was safe for me to update my iOS to version 4.1, which I did. Only to discover that my baseband was changed to 05.14.02, which cannot be unlocked.

There are apparently ways to install some iOS versions without changing the modem baseband. I haven't dug into that yet. UltrasnOw warns not to use redsnOw as it updates the baseband, I didn't use redsnOw but was nuked anyway.

The reason I started jail breaking at all is that this is an iPhone given me by an American friend and I am in Europe so can't use that US phone carrier here. Since then I relish the culture outside Apple control-freak walled garden.

Anyway getting back to your iPhone, if I understand you right, you just want to get the latest firmware, not jailbroken. That should be easy, just use the standard iTunes installer, but be warned it will completely erase everything that you currently have on your phone, so make sure you have backups.

I think Apple's default approach is to allow you to install the current iOS anytime, but in doing so lose any jailbreak material.

Further confusion decryption efforts: Restore Mode mode is not the same as Recovery mode. Also "restore" = reinstall the iOS, while "reset" = erase personal data.

Of course I am struggling in all this to understand both the technology, ethos, and lingo that drives this iOS world. I find the chaos of kidspeak and youtube egofest material one heck of a compost heap. Still at least it helps me get a small sense of the way the world is and slow Alzheimers..

I'm sure eventually I'll stumble upon some who have both wide comprehension of the issues and powers of communication. As it is, for every possible fact-let, there are hundreds of assumptions which I do not share with whomever presumes them. One needs a style filter to thin the chaff out.

The above just by way of saying that I don't trust me yet in iPhonery, and you certainly should not. But I'm trying!

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
So many traps ...

Just looking for "unlock iPhone baseband 05.14.02" and find many wiseacres saying to upgrade to iPad iOS 4.2.1 with baseband 06.15.00.

Then elsewhere I stumble upon the warning that that will nuke GPS. GPS means more to me that being able to use the telephone.

Lesson: treble check everything from multiple different sources. And never believe anything at first take.

The kids that say "Start the car by turning the key in the ignition" may seem to mean well and be making sense, but later you may find that by using the "ignition" you also unwittingly burned your home down - which to you is far worse than not being able to drive.

That's the world of iOS. And Apple do the same thing too! (thought not quite as wildly as many on the interweb).

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Hi again,

Thanks for all your help :)
I have now restored my iphone and I run the current ios, with no problem to my gps nor baseband. Everything's just working as it should be :)
I'm glad I did.

Cheeers and good luck!

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Well done phiber. Together we'll decrypt this labyrinth that Apple has concocted to bamboozle us.

phiber

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Thanks again for all the help!
It indeed is a challenge, sorta like a deep jungle filled with deadly traps where each footstep could be your last!
I hope all works out ok with you and you can keep using your JB iphone over in Europe (where about?)!

olivia22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Blighty. And yes, exactly, a jungle (carefully crafted with bear traps at every turn). I'd sure like to be able to have the phone aspect enabled, but I can do without it. Seems there'll never be a way to unlock baseband 05.14.02.
Another black mark for Apple.
Thanks for the empathy phiber.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
MY JB 4.2.1 iphone 4 was lagging so bad. Followed the procedure in post 1 and took it back to stock then restored from my backup which was done right before I did the restore. JB removed, all of my personal data was retained and it's WICKED fast! It's been awhile since my phone was this snappy! Loving the newest update and stock iphone!

saraw66

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
stuck in recovery

i have iphone 4.3.1 and after choosing recovery in itunes my phone is now stuck in recovery mode, what do i do????

sallyomally

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
MY JB 4.2.1 iphone 4 was lagging so bad. Followed the procedure in post 1 and took it back to stock then restored from my backup which was done right before I did the restore. JB removed, all of my personal data was retained and it's WICKED fast! It's been awhile since my phone was this snappy! Loving the newest update and stock iphone!

i dont know how to start a new thread so ill just continue off this one.
i bought an iphone off ebay and it is jailbroken unlocked. it was previously locked to optus. my provider now is with optus and i was wondering if i restored it and updated it to the latest version of ios will i be able to use my optus sim? is it too risky to do this, will i screw up everything and will it wind out to not accept any sim?
please help quickly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.