Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aljrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi all,

I've pulled the trigger on an iPad 2, and am now looking for a case. The iPad will often be used in a business setting, so I'm after something smart.

My needs are:
  • Leather
  • As slim as possible (don't need a notepad built in or anything)
  • Has smart magnets to wake the iPad
  • Folio or Moleskine style - don't mind which

Nice to have:
  • Doesn't cover the bezel when in the case

I'm aware of the Vaja Libretto and Toblino 2. Can anyone else recommend anything. Cost not really a major issue, I would pay up for the perfect case.

Thanks in advance!

Rgladman

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2011
Central Ohio
Hi all,

I've pulled the trigger on an iPad 2, and am now looking for a case. The iPad will often be used in a business setting, so I'm after something smart.

My needs are:
  • Leather
  • As slim as possible (don't need a notepad built in or anything)
  • Has smart magnets to wake the iPad
  • Folio or Moleskine style - don't mind which

Nice to have:
  • Doesn't cover the bezel when in the case

I'm aware of the Vaja Libretto and Toblino 2. Can anyone else recommend anything. Cost not really a major issue, I would pay up for the perfect case.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to a thread on Maroo cases, they have just started shipping their premium leather cases and they are very good.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1138148/

Boldman

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
I am thinking about getting the Libretto case as I think it is one of the finer cases. I am just waiting to see what the new SGB Store case for the iPad 2 looks like. They made a fairly nice case for the original iPad and the new one should be available in a few weeks.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
If you want as slim as possible, buy the Melkco Slimme. If you want protection buy Maroo. Also consider Melkco Jacka which is very similar to the Vaja Agenda 1 but for iPad 2.

These are the best leather cases out there in my opinion. Better than Vaja.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
^^^ Agreed batman.

It looks like it its made out of cardboard and wood that was made in someones garage how it costs ~$70? :eek:

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
It is made from quality materials. The plywood that you don't like is a high quality birch plywood used because it looks like the pages of a book. The Moleskin leather on the outside and the linen on the inside are again of the same quality that would be used on Moleskin artist books that this case is simulating. The machining is expertly done and the iPad fits extremely well in it. The bookmark is needed to remove the iPad from the case. All in all a quality piece well worth the money.

If you look down on something simply because it is made of plywood then you don't know very much about it, and I doubt that anything I could say here would correct that.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
It's beyond belief to bulk up and hide the amazing form factor of the iPad2, something that took years and probably hundreds of engineers and designers to achieve, and that every tech firm out there is desperately trying to emulate. It's sad that someone would cloak and coffin it over with overpriced clunky wood boxes. I know those are real popular. it's strange.
might as well just carry it around in the Apple box and Sharpie out the box labels.
or just get an old Gateway laptop.

Last edited:

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
It is made from quality materials. The plywood that you don't like is a high quality birch plywood used because it looks like the pages of a book. The Moleskin leather on the outside and the linen on the inside are again of the same quality that would be used on Moleskin artist books that this case is simulating. The machining is expertly done and the iPad fits extremely well in it. The bookmark is needed to remove the iPad from the case. All in all a quality piece well worth the money.

If you look down on something simply because it is made of plywood then you don't know very much about it, and I doubt that anything I could say here would correct that.

Yeah, but it still looks like cardboard and plywood.

No offense, and I realize different strokes for diff folks... But I have yet to understand the appeal for these type cases other than the paranoid notion it keeps the iPad disguised as a book. Otherwise, bulky, blocky, and almost 0 function. Sorry for the tangent, I'm done,lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.