Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deamond59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Early this morning my Ipod touch 4g's screen went white. I did not drop it or cause any physical damage, the screen was just white 5 minutes after I had last used it. I could still interact with it and play music and use apps by remembering where I needed to touch, the screen was just white.

I then installed the newest update (4.3.3 I think) and the screen started to work again. However after a few minutes while using the timer app the screen started glitching and over a period of about 15 seconds became white again.

I just DFU restored it but the screen is still white.

I am not quite sure if it is a hardware of software issue but does any one know what I can do?

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I was able to temporarily fix it by covering the light sensor (alongside the front camera) since the brightness was automatic, but after I powered it off it was white again. The best way is to just get a replacement.

Deamond59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Since the device is under one year old do you think apple will supply me with a new one because the problem was with the ipod or will I have to purchase a new one?

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA
You can request a replacement or even request that the screen be replaced alone. This was an ongoing issue with my iPhone 3GS, but the issue was fixed with a simple change in screens. :)

Call your local Apple Store and figure out what options they can offer you.

If your iPod works completely fine (aside from just the screen), I highly suggest ONLY getting the screen replaced. When I owned an iPod touch a while back, I had about 4-5 replacements.

Don't take your chances on a possibly faulty iPod touch, just replace the screen. :)

I saw this thread and had to share my 2 cents w/ experience. Good luck!

edit: If your iPod is less than one year old, the limited one-year warranty still applies to it. I didn't buy AppleCare for my iPod touch and still managed to get it replaced those 4-5 times, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.