Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

too758

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Hey everybody. i just got Curio and i don't understand how it's like OneNote. For instance, i can save a document to OneNote and it will pop up in OneNote and i can do whatever i want with it. When i try and drop a pdf file in Curio, it just gives me one page and i have to still open it up with Adobe. I'm in medical school and i'm tired of spending so much money of paper from printing everything Again after i write notes from lecture on the first copy of notes. is there a program where i can drop .ppt slides or .pdf slides into a notebook? thanks.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Hey everybody. i just got Curio and i don't understand how it's like OneNote. For instance, i can save a document to OneNote and it will pop up in OneNote and i can do whatever i want with it. When i try and drop a pdf file in Curio, it just gives me one page and i have to still open it up with Adobe. I'm in medical school and i'm tired of spending so much money of paper from printing everything Again after i write notes from lecture on the first copy of notes. is there a program where i can drop .ppt slides or .pdf slides into a notebook? thanks.

In Curio you can drop in a PDF and use the spread PDF Command. It will duplicate the layout for each page of the PDF file. i have dropped PDFs onto a page, then set up a notecard on the page. When I hit Spread command, it gives a workspace for each page with a notecard next to it for taking notes.

DEVONthink will let you drop almost anything into it natively. It uses quicklook so it can search within many types of files including word, PPT, PDF, and many others.

I have many of these programs: Circus Ponies' Notebook, Curio, DEVONthink, and most recently Tinderbox. For dumping in tons of data from a variety of sources (while retaining the native file format), DEVONthink is hard to beat. The Office Pro version also has integrated OCR, so it has a simple workflow for adding scanned hard copies as well.

I plan to use Curio in conjunction with DEVONthink to split PDFs into parts with annotations and either inserting them into DT as Curio files or as exported PDF files (I understand the latter works better).

MacGenius101

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
MacJournal is your answer

I was a huge OneNote user for years. I made the switch to the Mac operating system and knew I needed to find a replacement. I evaluated nearly every solution out there for myself and a few of my clients. MacJournal by MarinerSoftware fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.marinersoftware.com/products/macjournal/

The reason I like it (although others may not) is I can use it exactly the way I used OneNote where I just captured anything I needed (text, audio, images, video, anything) or I can use it as a journaling app. I can even blog with it.
The software is multi-dimensional, easy to use, and inexpensive.

You can't beat that.

Matt

smallaffair

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
OneNote Alternative with Multiple Tabs???

Hello,

I am happy to see that I am not the only person who wishes there was a OneNote for Mac. I have been trying a few different programs: Curio, Circus Ponies, Omni Outliner, and Evernote, but none of them seem to have the multiple tabs across the top and sides. Mac Journal is really the closest as far as the tab feature, but it does not allow the same multiple tabs in each application.

It seems like installing and running Crossover would be a good option for me.

The Notebook feature in the new Word 2011 for Mac does not have the tabs like I am showing in this picture attached. I have been writing a creative encyclopedia for a few years, and I am trying to keep the information organized.

Am I missing something in another program?

I appreciate the help if anyone has any. I am not concerned about dragging and dropping or inserting media or converting anything to pdf. All of these features seem to exist in some of the programs I mentioned above, but I have not been able to find the tab interface.

Thank you.
gTIOO6WDp
http://www.screencast.com/t/gTIOO6WDp

Last edited:

DocLK

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
"Tabs" in Curio

I'm just starting to explore Curio, but it does seem to have the functional equivalent of OneNote tabs. It looks like there are a couple of ways to do this - you can use a new "Project" as the equivalent of a OneNote Notebook (the tab on the left side of the page), a Section as the OneNote section (the top tabs), and Idea Spaces as the pages (the right hand tabs, which in Curio can even be subdivided), that's one way to do it. Or, you can have, within one project, the Sections for the Notebooks (left tabs), Folders for the Sections (top tabs), and individual Idea Spaces for the pages (right tabs).

I like the elegance of the OneNote tabs as a quick way to navigate, and Curio's layout doesn't have that same clean feel, but the functionality is there and is the same. Since Curio seems to do everything else the same a OneNote, at least in version 7, including text anywhere on the page, etc., it looks like a good replacement. Admittedly, I'm new to both programs and still exploring, but so far it seems to work.

You can get a 60-day extended trial license for Curio 7, which should give you plenty of time to check it out, for those who are interested in trying it out.

Les

smallaffair

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Thank you! Tabs and Curio

I'm just starting to explore Curio, but it does seem to have the functional equivalent of OneNote tabs. It looks like there are a couple of ways to do this - you can use a new "Project" as the equivalent of a OneNote Notebook (the tab on the left side of the page), a Section as the OneNote section (the top tabs), and Idea Spaces as the pages (the right hand tabs, which in Curio can even be subdivided), that's one way to do it. Or, you can have, within one project, the Sections for the Notebooks (left tabs), Folders for the Sections (top tabs), and individual Idea Spaces for the pages (right tabs).

I like the elegance of the OneNote tabs as a quick way to navigate, and Curio's layout doesn't have that same clean feel, but the functionality is there and is the same. Since Curio seems to do everything else the same a OneNote, at least in version 7, including text anywhere on the page, etc., it looks like a good replacement. Admittedly, I'm new to both programs and still exploring, but so far it seems to work.

You can get a 60-day extended trial license for Curio 7, which should give you plenty of time to check it out, for those who are interested in trying it out.

Les

Thank you, Les! I appreciate your explanation regarding the tabs and Curio. This works for me. The hierarchy of Sections and Idea Spaces is exactly what I was looking for, but I was having trouble figuring out if that was possible. I really appreciate this tip. :)

zwaffel

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Im also looking for something like this. I like to have somethign like onenote what works for mac, but also on windows. I have seen Evernote, but it isnt able to style nicely (for example let images float above text etc.) Are there any other tools i can try out?

cheers!

zwaffel

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Isn't Evernote that's in the Mac App Store (and *free*) near to what OneNote is?

well it is, but i like to have features that i can place my images everywhere in the note for example.. like some kind of floating objects..

antidiva06

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Tennessee
Sorry to bump this old post, but I just found out this gem and felt compelled to share.

http://www.growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html

It works GREAT!! FINALLY, something that works like OneNote.

haven't messed with it too much but looks and seems much more like OneNote than any of the others I've tried...but I didn't find anything on password protection...???? is there any on this program..that is essential for me. BUT also a must mention..that its FREEEEEEEE!!!!! didn't like circus ponies it's poorly designed, evernote is cool but not what I need.. MS Words notebook just doesn't cut it..iphone has a great app called Awesome note todo...would be cool to have a desktop companion to that..I use that all the time when I'm not near my computer.

OH WHY WON'T THEY LET US HAVE ONENOTE????? it's just not fair...lol but seriously..as a writer, it was a great way to organize my projects, notes, research, random thoughts and lines ..etc..and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the interface...and look.. and it could be password protected from nosey people, I can't trust. I don't want to run this on parallel whatever, BS..sounds like a hassle and I'm new to mac..I just want ONENOTE on my MAC..what's up Bill? give us what we're all dying to have!!!! stingy ass!!!:p

it's the single regret I have about moving to mac...otherwise, I love this computer much more than any PC i've ever owned.

smallaffair

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Crossover Worked for Me

Has anyone tried using Crossover?:rolleyes:

After trying every alternative to OneNote that people suggested, I installed Crossover today because I missed the multiple tab interface too much. Crossover worked for me on MacBook Pro 10.6.6, but it seems to be only compatible with MS Office 2007, not 2010. I had a copy of each, so I installed the 2007 version because the folks at CodeWeavers said 2010 would not work. I did not have a problem with OneNote crashing when I copied and pasted, but I am using CopyPaste Pro as a Clipboard.

So far, OneNote 2007 has been running better than I thought it would after some of the reviews I read. I have not tried mixing OneNote with my email in Office 2011 for Mac.

Here is the compatibility link for Crossover and OneNote.

imissonenote

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Creating links in OneNote alternative programs

Hi,
New Mac user here- finally made the jump after years of a PC. Everything's great but, boy, if I don't miss OneNote for research project management. Appreciate all the suggestions to take a look into here - sounds as though Curio and CircusPonies are pretty frequently recommended, among some of the others - and was wondering if those who've used these OneNote alternatives can recommend any of them to fulfill a pretty simple, but lovable capability that OneNote dished out: the ability to right click a portion of text/paragraph and create a hyperlink to it that could be pasted in elsewhere your project for immediate access. Loved this feature! Have browsed a bit on some of the various websites (Curio, CircusPonies, etc.) to see if any of these OneNote alternatives could pull this off and thought I'd see if any here who's recommending an alternative can confirm this capability (or can confirmation that a particular alternative program can't do this). Heck, if Word (in Notebook mode) or Evernote could do this, that'd be even better (i.e. cheaper). Thanks very much!

noush55

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
transferring one note

But does anyone know how to transfer one note files from the pc to mac? does this just require having a programme that is compatible to open the files and does this exist?

Zanado

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Skydrive?

But does anyone know how to transfer one note files from the pc to mac? does this just require having a programme that is compatible to open the files and does this exist?

I have this same problem. I thought I had the answer with Microsoft's Skydrive (windows live http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive) where you can run a limited version of OneNote from a mac, but when you upload One Note files to Skydrive it doesn't seem to recognise them as One Note files. I only managed to edit One Note files that I had created as new in Skydrive.

If anyone works out how to convert one note files easily, please drop a post!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Microsoft has released OneNote, its first Office app for iOS.

Microsoft has released OneNote, its first Office app for iOS.

Available in App Store

Last edited:

Zanado

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
That's great for those with an iOS device...however, I only have a Mac....

So, we need OneNote for Mac!

:)
Me too! And the iOS version isn't available outside the US yet anyway. Microsoft should check out how many views this thread has had.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
voodoopad
evernote
devonthink
scrivener

these are all good. listed in order of preference. i used to be a heavy one note user, but got fed up with all of its weaknesses and the resources it was gobbling up. in my opinion, voodoopad is absolutely the best notetaking program anywhere (i am agraduate student, and i have found it to be quite popular among the graduate student crowd). however, each product has its good points, and you'll want to get the one thatworks best with your workflow.

contadopapa

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
haven't messed with it too much but looks and seems much more like OneNote than any of the others I've tried...but I didn't find anything on password protection...???? is there any on this program..that is essential for me. BUT also a must mention..that its FREEEEEEEE!!!!! didn't like circus ponies it's poorly designed, evernote is cool but not what I need.. MS Words notebook just doesn't cut it..iphone has a great app called Awesome note todo...would be cool to have a desktop companion to that..I use that all the time when I'm not near my computer.

OH WHY WON'T THEY LET US HAVE ONENOTE????? it's just not fair...lol but seriously..as a writer, it was a great way to organize my projects, notes, research, random thoughts and lines ..etc..and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the interface...and look.. and it could be password protected from nosey people, I can't trust. I don't want to run this on parallel whatever, BS..sounds like a hassle and I'm new to mac..I just want ONENOTE on my MAC..what's up Bill? give us what we're all dying to have!!!! stingy ass!!!:p

it's the single regret I have about moving to mac...otherwise, I love this computer much more than any PC i've ever owned.

Look better in the file options... it DOES have section password protection. Fact is, this program: 1. Is FREE 2. Has quite most the same interface to OneNote. I don't afford paying for such a simple software, specially the horrible layout programs I've seen around. Thank GOD I found this s##t, my wife nearly killed me because Mac didn't have OneNote.

My obvious conclusion is that Steve Jobs hates Mac Illiterates and brazilians in general, since less than 10% of the programs in the app store are in portuguese. Yes, that includes Office.

michelleh45

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Problems with CircusPonies as alternative to OneNote

I've tried CircusPonies Notebook and while I see it has many good features, one thing I can never get to work as easily as in OneNote or as consistently is the web clipping feature. In OneNote, it's really easy to clip something from a webpage and paste it right in OneNote. It even pastes the URL from which you are clipping into your note. In CircusPonies, this is much more complicated. First you have to enable a clipping service for the page and then you clip, but it doesn't always work consistently for me. Sometimes it does and sometimes when I go to that webpage to clip it will say "no services available" or something like that. I've even gotten CircusPonies Tech Support involved, but even with their help I can't get it to work consistently or as easily as it should be (I feel).

Anyway, I'm not asking for help with this issue -- I'd just like to know if any of these other programs (MacJournal, Curio, SOHO Notes, Growly Notes) can do this task easily and simply. And please don't suggest Evernote -- I like Evernote and use it a lot, but it does not provide the same organization as OneNote so is for a different use for me.

Thanks if anyone can answer this question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.