Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I'm getting my husband an iPad 2. He's going overseas for a few months. He is also taking the laptop I currently use to sync my iPad and I will be moving all my stuff to our desktop.

My question - I have read that I can have up to 5 computers authorized for my iPad. Is this correct? Can I set his up to sync to my laptop (that he is taking) and give him access to the paid apps I have bought? There are only 3 or 4 but it would be convienent to allow this. Also, if I can do this can I set him up with his own Apple ID or should I set both up with my ID? Is this even legal? He will actually be on a rotation where he comes home every 10 weeks or so. His company will be issuing him a company laptop but I'm sending my little netbook just in case he has to restore since he will be away from home and cannot get to the computer if he needs it.

Any suggestions on how to handle this or should I just set everything up separately and be done with it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Shouldn't be a problem. Just authorize both computers with the same iTunes account, and you are set. If you create a separate iTunes account for your husband, then sharing apps will be more complicated.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Thanks, Night Spring.

Can I delete the apps he won't need of set them up to not sync to his iPad? I suppose that's a small issue. I can always sync them and then delete from the iPad before he leaves.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Thanks for the replys. It certainly will make it easier this way. I'll just set them both up under my ID and go from there.

I really appreciate the fast replys and help.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
My girlfriend and I do this. We each have our own MBP, our own iPhone, and one iPad. My iTunes account is on each device, so when I buy an app, she can add it to her phone for as well. She can literally find it in the app store and download it without it asking for her to pay, as long as she uses my iTunes account.

As far as separating what apps are on each, make sure he knows how to manage the apps via iTunes when the iPad is plugged in. Just put a check next to what he wants on the iPad when its plugged in.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Brayhite,
That's a laugh. The man has 3 engineering degrees, can run computer simulations, write some code, and create the most complicated Excel spreadsheets you have ever seem but when it comes to electronic devices he is a total klutz. I even maintain his phone.

However. I'll set everything up for him before he leaves and hopefully he won't need to do anything to it while he is gone. He's also very tight and doubt he will buy much. But I'll give him a written list of what to do and how to do it. Been doing that for him for our Windows computers for years while he is overseas. I even bought a mirroring app for our computers so that if he REALLY screws it up he can just do a complete restore.

I actually think the iPad is great for him because he really can't do much harm and if he does he will at least be home every 10 weeks or so. Or I can walk him through it via Skype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.