Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELA2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

Without reading a gazillion threads, what are the best things I can do softwarewise to get the best performance out of my macbook both in os x and windows 7.

Thanks!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Hi,

Without reading a gazillion threads, what are the best things I can do softwarewise to get the best performance out of my macbook both in os x and windows 7.

Thanks!
Please read a gazillion threads before posting another duplicate thread to an already-answered question.
Software-wise, not much.
Defrag daily, even multiple times a day, since you probably carry it around.
Do not run many background processes.
DO NOT USE NORTON OR MCAFEE. They are crap that slows your computer down. Kaspersky, on the other hand, is OK. Use Avast or AVG for PC, and Sophos Antivirus for Mac. Both are free and lightweight.

Hardware-wise, TONS FASTER.
7200RPM HDD
SSD
8GB+ RAM
Thermal Grease Exchange
Overclocking

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You've already asked this question in another thread and received an answer. For Mac OS X, you don't have to do anything to make it run well. Just use it.
Defrag daily, even multiple times a day,
This is absolutely not necessary at all for Mac OS X. For Windows, defragging daily is a foolish recommendation. It needs to be done very infrequently.
Correction: do not run background processes that you don't need or want.
Sophos Antivirus for Mac.
Antivirus is completely unnecessary to protect Mac OS X. Sophos is definitely not recommended, as it can make a Mac more vulnerable. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Last edited:

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Please read a gazillion threads before posting another duplicate thread to an already-answered question.
True.
Software-wise, not much.
True
Defrag daily, even multiple times a day, since you probably carry it around.
Rubbish
Correction Only background processes you need.
DO NOT USE NORTON OR MCAFEE. They are crap that slows your computer down. Kaspersky, on the other hand, is OK. Use Avast or AVG for PC, and Sophos Antivirus for Mac. Both are free and lightweight.
Will not comment on what checks for WINDOWS viruses the best, however none are necessary for your Mac. Let Windows users cop up their money/computer resources on Anti-Virus not you.
Hardware-wise, TONS FASTER.
Depends
7200RPM HDD
Little difference, consider a SSD.
Yes, yes and yes.
Not necessary unless you use virtual machines or run many many many high programs at the same time. Otherwise wont change anything.
Thermal Grease Exchange
Great Way to void your warranty.
Overclocking
Another great way to void your warranty unless in Windows and even then only useful for gaming.

ELA2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

Yeah I know I saw and contributed to the post on keeping the computer running efficiently. Actually I should have been a little more specific. I'm really talking about the GPU. Are their better graphics drivers for OS X and Windows 7 other than the ones provided? I saw something about this in another post but didn't quite understand?

Also with those who have experienced Lion, is it a more streamlined OS meaning a performance increase?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm really talking about the GPU.
Your original post didn't give that impression at all.
Are their better graphics drivers for OS X and Windows 7 other than the ones provided?
Again, I won't speak for Windows, but why would you think there would be better drivers than what Apple installs?
Also with those who have experienced Lion, is it a more streamlined OS meaning a performance increase?
There is a whole forum dedicated to Lion. You'll find lots of Lion-related answers here: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
MacBooks have an issue with the gpu throttling staying on high settings, that in turn also heats up the cpu because they in the same area of the board, I suggest you find a program to force Windows 7 to downclock the gpu when not in high use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.