Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_visa_mobile_payment.jpg
The on-again off-again rumors around Apple including Near Field Communications (NFC) in the next iteration of the iPhone took an off-again turn this morning in a research note from Bernstein, courtesy of Business Insider. According to the report, Bernstein analysts claim that the next iPhone will not have mobile payment support via NFC. From Business Insider:
Apple's next iPhone, said to be called the 4S, will not have the mobile payment support through NFC (near field communication) says Bernstein in a note this morning.

We don't have the full note, just highlights from a Bloomberg terminal.
NFC in the iPhone would allow users to pay for things by waving their phone at the register or get airline tickets electronically and check in with a wave of the iPhone. The technology has not, however, taken off yet in the United States to the degree that it has in other areas of the world, and Apple may still see the inclusion of NFC capabilities in the iPhone as premature for either technical or logistical reasons.

Most indications suggest the next version of the iPhone, rumored to be called the iPhone 4S, won't be a sea-change device like the jump from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 was, although the inclusion of NFC could be an important enhancement should Apple choose to adopt it. Rumors of Apple including NFC in the next iPhone have been the subject of a seemingly endless back-and-forth, and while it appears that NFC will be included in some future iPhone revision, there is scant evidence that the next-generation iPhone in particular will have the technology. The New York Times claimed in March that Apple will include NFC in a "coming iteration" of the iPhone, but stopped short of declaring when that inclusion is scheduled to take place.

Article Link: Analyst Claims No NFC in Next-Generation iPhone

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Then... What exactly is the next iPhone supposed to have?

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Of course it wont be in the next Iphone... Always a year late, never a year early(with exception of "retina" display)

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

topmounter said:
I don't understand what all the hub-bub is about when it comes to NFC... Are there any retailers in the US that actually have NFC installed?

Even still. Why not just take out a credit card? You already have to take something out (be it phone or cc) to process the transaction.

Tabris82

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
Manchester CT
That was hardly even a rumor.... "That thing we've talked about it may or maybe not having.... will it may or maybe not have it!"

UP NEXT! THE NEXT IPHONE MAY OR MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN WHITE OR BLACK!!!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Even still. Why not just take out a credit card? You already have to take something out (be it phone or cc) to process the transaction.

Ever stand behind a women at a checkout, shes talking on the phone while she is being rung up. After everything is charged, only then does she start to dig in her ginormous shoulder bag and look for her wallet. The wallet is the size of Blackberry Playbook, then she thumbs through a gazillion credit cards till she finds the one she wants. She already has the phone out.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Call me paranoid

Call me paranoid but I can just imagine hackers pick pocketing you and getting Visa Payments from you just by walking by you in the Mall with this technology.
;)

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I find talk about the next generation iPhone itself confusing. Half the time I don't know if they're referencing the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5. Thankfully this article clarified toward the end.

Personally, I don't care what they put in the iPhone 4S because it's going to be a minor spec bump anyhow. I'll wait for the iPhone 5, which I suspect will be released in mid-2012. I'm sure that will be a leap forward, as opposed to a minor revision. I hope I'm right...

Starting to wonder why another iPhone is even coming out.

Hmmm lemme think. even assuming the iphone retains 100% of its dimensions, no NFC, and no LTE I can still think of...

More RAM (1GB)
Faster, dual core processor (A5)
longer battery life
8.0 Megapixel camera
HD facetime camera
HSPA+ (a 4G network) support
combined chip to accomodate VZ and at&t (amoung others internationally)
sprint & t-mobile support (for US)
Louder speakers
improved reception
More profit (you can't stop releasing products just because there is no dramatic technology to unveil. ppl would stop buying iPhones)

Those are just a few things that I thought up, based on some assumptions. I'm sure Apple can add even more than that

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
I don't understand what all the hub-bub is about when it comes to NFC... Are there any retailers in the US that actually have NFC installed?

Yes actually. Lot's of McDonald's, and 7-11's in California and Nevada have them The real question is do they work. After going through the difficult process of getting Wells Fargo to actually give me an ATM card with the pay wave, I found that it works maybe 15% of the time.

They also make you put a limit on your purchases, usually something reasonable for these sorts of transactions ($25 or $50), which does limit the utility because its always seems easier to carry that amount of cash.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV

Then... What exactly is the next iPhone supposed to have?

Hopefully it will have a decent phone in it. :D

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I'd be willing to bet (no more than about $15) that the next iPhone WILL have an NFC chip. My reasoning is that every new iPhone tends to have another sensor built in. iPhone 3G got GPS, 3GS got a compass, 4 got a front-facing camera and a gyroscope. An NFC chip would fit that pattern, even if it's functionality is still primarily latent (like the gyroscope, which didn't have any killer apps on launch).

P.S. For you nit-picky types, I know that NFC isn't really a sensor, but I still think it fits the same basic pattern.

I find talk about the next generation iPhone itself confusing. Half the time I don't know if they're referencing the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5. Thankfully this article clarified toward the end.

Personally, I don't care what they put in the iPhone 4S because it's going to be a minor spec bump anyhow. I'll wait for the iPhone 5, which I suspect will be released in mid-2012. I'm sure that will be a leap forward, as opposed to a minor revision. I hope I'm right...

I hate to break it to ya bud. The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5. I don't understand how everyone is so confused.

iPhone -> iPhone 3G(because 3G network) -> iPhone 3GS(same but added speed) - iPhone 4 (because the 4th gen iPhone)

Even if they do release an iPhone 4S (for speed) the next one would be an iPhone 6. Or an iPhone LTE. Or an iPhone NFC. Or an iPhone nano-ray.

It would most certainly not be call iPhone 5 when it is the 6th generation. Sorry, ppl's ignorance on this topic bugs me. Especially ppl that should know better

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
:)
Hmmm lemme think. even assuming the iphone retains 100% of its dimensions, no NFC, and no LTE I can still think of...

More RAM (1GB)
Faster, dual core processor (A5)
longer battery life
8.0 Megapixel camera
HD facetime camera
HSPA+ (a 4G network) support
combined chip to accomodate VZ and at&t (amoung others internationally)
sprint & t-mobile support (for US)
Louder speakers
improved reception
More profit (you can't stop releasing products just because there is no dramatic technology to unveil. ppl would stop buying iPhones)

Those are just a few things that I thought up, based on some assumptions. I'm sure Apple can add even more than that

I also think they will re-do the GUI or at least make some modifications to it. Ok, maybe I am more hoping then anything else!
:)

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
I wouldn't use it if it were coming anyway since I think this system is not as secure as credit card/ internet banking system. This is just my opinion, FYI I may be a security freak sometimes :)

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
It would most certainly not be call iPhone 5 when it is the 6th generation. Sorry, ppl's ignorance on this topic bugs me. Especially ppl that should know better

Yeha that annoys me big time. 4S really does not make sense. Everyone who keeps calling it that are doing it based on nothing more than an assumed pattern of iPhone names. They think that because you had 3G then 3GS then it obviously must mean 4S comes after 3G. What they fail to realize is that a numerical naming scheme got messed up by calling the 2nd phone the 3G. They couldnt call the third phone iPhone 3 because that would be confusing to people. When 4 came around, that was actually the 4th phone so it worked itself ouit. If they call the next phone the 4S, it just screws up a numerical scheme again.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I can't see them waiting a year and half to release a new version and not have major changes. Whether it is the screen or NFC or something else. Just been too long with this product cycle to just do a 4S with minor changes.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Ever stand behind a women at a checkout, shes talking on the phone while she is being rung up. After everything is charged, only then does she start to dig in her ginormous shoulder bag and look for her wallet. The wallet is the size of Blackberry Playbook, then she thumbs through a gazillion credit cards till she finds the one she wants. She already has the phone out.

I don't see the average chit-chat obsessed nit-wit having the presence of mind to detach the phone from the side of their head any faster than they can dig a card out of their sack.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I hate to break it to ya bud. The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5. I don't understand how everyone is so confused.

iPhone -> iPhone 3G(because 3G network) -> iPhone 3GS(same but added speed) - iPhone 4 (because the 4th gen iPhone)

Even if they do release an iPhone 4S (for speed) the next one would be an iPhone 6. Or an iPhone LTE. Or an iPhone NFC. Or an iPhone nano-ray.

Actually, I adopted that naming convention based on articles from this very site. Don't blame me for the poor demarcation - blame macrumors, haha. They started calling it the iPhone 5, then magically introduced iPhone 4S as a minor spec bump. How is the causal reader supposed to know that what was previously referred to as the 'next generation' iPhone is synonymous with the next iPhone 'spec bump'? Don't have a cow, man.

Whatever you want to call it, I'm holding out for the iPhone with LTE and (possibly) NFC capability. That would maximize the life of the phone... I suspect the iPhone 4S will be obsolete before it's a year old. For the most part, I think NFC technology is overrated, but LTE is the deal breaker for me. I doubt Apple would have that technology ready in the next iPhone release - it's much too early.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
NFC is kinda like 4G it is an excellent thing but it's only good if you can use it on a daily basis...

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly why Apple won't offer it unless they can support it with an infrastructure that will change your life. However, that said I could see them putting the chips in now and activating them later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.