Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecreativ1

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
MD, USA
From Address Book on iMac, go to File > Export > Address Book Archive.

That will save a file to the desktop. Transfer that file to the Air, open address book on the Air, then double-click that file to import all your contacts.

morningthorpe

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
But how do you transfer the address book once you have it on your iMac desktop to the MacBook Air. I have struggled with using file sharing using either bluetooth or my shared network but to no avail.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Skype? If its just saved as a regular file you can send as attachment. Or depending on size email is fine as well. Also a site like http://www.megaupload.com allows free uploads/downloads up to a certain file size before you have to pay.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
But how do you transfer the address book once you have it on your iMac desktop to the MacBook Air. I have struggled with using file sharing using either bluetooth or my shared network but to no avail.

You have at least 100 different ways, but let me sum up the easiest:

1. External HDD
2. USB Stick
3. Send yourself an email from source computer with the file and then open the mail on the destination computer and save the file

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'll throw my hat into the ring and say that a free MobileMe Trial would be perfect and then you have 59 days to see what's up, which takes us way past WWDC.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Priced exactly what it's worth. ;) Dropbox is another option.

Well, I disagree with you. I find it very useful, as do others. I realize that there are other free options, but I've made my choice and that's neither here nor there. :)

The "issue" with dropbox, bluetooth, flash drives and the like is that you still have to import the data once it's copied over. With MobileMe or another syncing solution, the data is automagically imported.

(Not really a big problem for some, may be for others).

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Well, I disagree with you. I find it very useful, as do others. I realize that there are other free options, but I've made my choice and that's neither here nor there. :)

The "issue" with dropbox, bluetooth, flash drives and the like is that you still have to import the data once it's copied over. With MobileMe or another syncing solution, the data is automagically imported.

(Not really a big problem for some, may be for others).

Wow, a disagreement on a forum that is civil. A rarity indeed. Nicely done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.