Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello. I got my iPad 4-5 days ago, and gotta say I love it. Today, my SmartCover seemed weaker than usual, here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lkySDAeyI

Is it weak or not? :O

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello. I got my iPad 4-5 days ago, and gotta say I love it. Today, my SmartCover seemed weaker than usual, here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lkySDAeyI

Is it weak or not? :O

I would have to say its normal, my leather black is the same way. I would say the magnet in the screen side part is just there so it can turn the sleep on or off. Those magnets arent meant to "hold" it on. The only thing that is held on is the side.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
:D Dear god man, get a life! :D

Your magnets are are just fine. What is it about iPad that makes people so pernickety!? :)

Hexero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010

Haha :D
Nah, I'm just wondering. Just gotta say; When I hold it updown the cover falls off. And I can open it from the middle if I want, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM79cfcbga0

Please confirm if it's normal, thanks. :)

Hexero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Which means?
Is it the iPad or the SmartCover who is failing here?

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009

Haha :D
Nah, I'm just wondering. Just gotta say; When I hold it updown the cover falls off. And I can open it from the middle if I want, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM79cfcbga0

Please confirm if it's normal, thanks. :)

Right. I can open mine from the middle fairly easily and when I hold it upside down it does fall off but only with a tiny nudge and holding it fairly closely to the spine(as it were). However I cannot envisage a situation where I'm going to be holding my iPad the wrong way up at all let alone with my hand close to the hinge.

Hexero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Oh, alright then. I guess Apple will learn a lot from the first generation of SmartCovers.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Oh, alright then. I guess Apple will learn a lot from the first generation of SmartCovers.

If the magnets were any stronger, it would cause your iPad to go to sleep when you flip the cover to the back. Slide the hinge magnets across the back of your iPad and you'll see what I mean.

The Smart Cover is fine the way it is.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I noticed the magnets were significantly weaker after the first weak or two also, I expected it to happen but not so quickly. As long as the magnets hold the cover onto the front I'm happy, that's all I want it to do (be pretty and cover the front when not in use).

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I noticed the magnets were significantly weaker after the first weak or two also, I expected it to happen but not so quickly. As long as the magnets hold the cover onto the front I'm happy, that's all I want it to do (be pretty and cover the front when not in use).

Doubt rare earth neodymium magnets get week after one week of use. More likely your Smart Cover is getting less stiff where it folds.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I just returned an orange smart cover for a blue one and I can tell you for sure the magnet was definitely stronger on the orange one. The blue one falls open when I turn it upside down. It's going back.

baekalfen

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
I know that I'm kind of resurrecting an old topic here, but I think it is still relevant.

I just bought an iPad 3 and was surprised how quickly the magnets weaken. I have thought about it while searching Google for others like me.
It seems like it might not be the magnets on either of the devices, but maybe it is just the leather/polyurethane getting worked up. It is quite stiff at first but gets more bendy when used/folded.

Breezer23

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Not to jack the OP but my Smart Cover is started to lose the finish along the hinges of the anodized aluminum. The shavings worry me a bit more than the cosmetic side of things. I've had it for about six weeks. Do you think Apple would replace it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.