Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
DLXF with bleed....it's a crap shoot guys. Just wait a month and swap

my newest is dlxf and it's bleed is very very minimal. not noticeable unless i lock myself in a bathroom in pitch black and crank brightness to 100%. It's scratch free dead pixel free ect. so i'm keeping it.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Definitely....I was speaking more to those who are unhappy and are trying to find a magic serial number. I feel in a few weeks the kinks could be ironed out and nocguessing required.

Plus I'm tired or driving over there.....gas is $4.20 a gallon :)

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I bought my first one from Target, and returned it because they had none left in stock. I bought my second from Walmart, and returned it because they also had none left in stock. I bought my third one from Bestbuy today, and its screen is no better than the first two, but I'll exchange it tomorrow. They had 7 or 8 in stock of this model (64GB Verizon), so we'll see how far they're willing to go.

As a follow-up to my previous post, I exchanged my iPad2 at Bestbuy yesterday. The one I have now is fantastic.

Below are some photos taken at 100% brightness.

Returned iPad
img1000000053a.jpg

New iPad
img1000000064a.jpg

Returned iPad
img1000000054a.jpg

New iPad
img1000000063a.jpg

And it only took four iPads to get a good one! Take that you 6 time offenders! HA! :p

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
My iPad 2 has X on the third serial number and it has back light bleeding when brigness is turned up to 100%. Hardly noticeable when it is at below 75%. Should I ask for a replacement? They told me that I can no longer return my iPad for a refund since the serial numbers on my replacement is not the same. What do I do?

who told you you can't get a refund? When I was getting mine replaced, I asked if I could still get a refund and they said you have 14 days from the day of replacement to get a refund if you're not satisfied. But...that was during the first month of release. I guess their answers vary but if you really don't want it anymore, I would suggest calling AppleCare.

Also, I don't mean to bring up more bad stuff, but can everyone seriously stop with the "So you only use your iPad in a pitch black room?". No, no one actually ONLY uses their iPad in a pitch black room, if you're really that stupid to ask. In life, things that you don't plan to happen - happen. Like having to take a plane trip from California to Singapore because a family member died, so now you're sitting in a dim cabin space for 27 hours trying to kill time watching a movie...or quite frankly burning up as the light bleed stares you right back in the face. I know everyone on here is a lot smarter than that, don't dumb down your intelligence by posting such inane, non-humorous crap like that.

chinit0

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
i'll try my luck later on the nearest apple store.

so went to the nearest apple store and showed them the light bleed and scratches on my ipad. they gave me one on a brown box which has a very very minimal light bleed that is only noticeable on 100% brightness on the lower left corner. the color is a little bit warm but i can live with it. i only noticed it anyway when i compare it side by side with other ipads. i also raised it with the genius guy and he said its really hard to know which box contains the warm or cool lcd panels because they have different manufacturers for the lcd just like the iphones and ipod touches and they just can't open everything to check.

he also mentioned that the brown box are new and not refurbs and those are tested thoroughly compared to the white boxes.

Here are the serials if these help:

New serial DLX
Old one is DN6

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
As a follow-up to my previous post, I exchanged my iPad2 at Bestbuy yesterday. The one I have now is fantastic.

Returned iPad

New iPad

Returned iPad

New iPad

And it only took four iPads to get a good one! Take that you 6 time offenders! HA! :p

Looks like my new one.. there is very minimal bleed on your new unit, grats go enjoy!!

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

wow that's awful ^

guess they can be really really bad

Zethca

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
My bleeding is pretty bad on all sides but I never took it in. Will they replace my iPad 2 even if I got it launch day? I hope they do. I initially didnt return it bc almost all the shipments were bad.

Edit: purchased from apple store

HardLuckStories

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
UK, Manchester
apple taking the p***

Samsung LED tv in hotel...no bleed, I could post pictures for every other screen I've come across. The point is the ipad 2 has yellow uneven blotches on black screens, the majority of screens clearly exhibit a manufacturing defect. For a company that has multiple million dollars in reserve I would expect them to admit the problem and make it a serial number based replacement scheme. Its a premium product and essentially a handheld screen of which should be perfect.

My genius appointment is tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG00526-20110518-0300.jpg
    IMG00526-20110518-0300.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
Samsung LED tv in hotel...no bleed, I could post pictures for every other screen I've come across. The point is the ipad 2 has yellow uneven blotches on black screens, the majority of screens clearly exhibit a manufacturing defects. For a company that has multiple million dollars in reserve I would expect them to admit the problem and make it a serial number based replacement scheme. Its a premium product and essentially a handheld screen of which should be perfect.

if they do serial number based replacement program, there will be millions of ipads need to be replaced. However, the situation now is thousands of people do not notice this issue...

HardLuckStories

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
UK, Manchester
And to those that say don't use your ipad in the darck etc... I work on a ship and use my ipad frequently in dark conditions, and i see yellow blodges coming up from the screen edges and its pathetic! I dont open my air, switch on my tv and see these blotches, why should i shell out €700+ on my ipad for the pleasure?! At the very least it makes the product appear as a cheap knock off its far below standards expected.

HardLuckStories

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
UK, Manchester
64GB 3G white

Girlfriends ipad, bought 1 week after mine back in the glory days of ipad2 arrival. Serial DQTFGO. Barely noticable bleed at 100% in total darkness.

Edit: barely noticable but she spent €1000+, bleeds still there, cheapest lcds they could find, not just gradual blending of light but specific spots of yellow. Its a manafacture defect.

Attachments

• IMG00528-20110518-0348.jpg
    IMG00528-20110518-0348.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

HardLuckStories

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
UK, Manchester
For a company that prides itself in doting every "i" and crossing every "t" this is really disappointing.

For any company making screens this is disappointing, but they are buying the cheapest screens they can packaging them up with with a bunch of cheapest parts and selling it as the ipad 2, and the ipad 3 will be the same. I encourage people to return or at least query their ipads, its the only way quality standards will be improved/maintained. I had the original ipad as does my dad and it was of a higher quality.

Lcd is poor tech but good value, the yellow spots here are manafacturing defects and not consistent with any other lcd screen ive owned.

Genius appointment tomorrow not too worried about the outcome however want Apple to be aware of the problem and consider it me doing my part as consumer, if more people had same attitude things might change. Screens will be half yellow and all colours before long if people dont raise a query with the seller!

Last edited:

MayorQuimby

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
I agree Hardluck. Apple is taking too much advantage of their market-leading position. This is how good turns to bad in a hurry.

I returned my iPad 2 because of this mess (and the retarded 'genius' who tried to scam me) and have been waiting for this issue to clear up. If it doesn't, I'll have to get an iPad 1 used or go Android assuming they ever release any apps.

This is why people should be happy Android is making a play. Competition helps us all. With more competition, Apple would be much more careful about QC.

HardLuckStories

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
UK, Manchester
I agree Hardluck. Apple is taking too much advantage of their market-leading position. This is how good turns to bad in a hurry.

I returned my iPad 2 because of this mess (and the retarded 'genius' who tried to scam me) and have been waiting for this issue to clear up. If it doesn't, I'll have to get an iPad 1 used or go Android assuming they ever release any apps.

This is why people should be happy Android is making a play. Competition helps us all. With more competition, Apple would be much more careful about QC.

Android is making a play, and judging by the engadget review of the samsung tablet its a strong one. It made me question my Apple purchase, as i have in the past chosen alternatives only to be pleasantly surprised by the quality and user friendly enchancements.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin

Returned iPad

New iPad

Returned iPad

New iPad

Wow....that looks great. Guess there are good ones out there. What's the beginning of the serial?

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
for what its worth, reports are in, and this latest batch seems to be ok in London and in California so far from this thread..

I am extremely happy with my replacement and if you see the thread i went through 6 ipads... so I was not going accept BS

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Wow....that looks great. Guess there are good ones out there. What's the beginning of the serial?

DLXF

It's a black 32gb Verizon model. The one I brought back was a white 64gb Verizon, also DLXF.

It's not a brown box, open box, or refurbished one either. The BB salesman got from the locked case where they keep all their new iPads.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
Awesome, My iPad 2 just arrived Black 32GB. Serial number DLXF no blacklight bleeding that I can notice :)

Ill get some pictures uploaded later on.

Edit: Tiny little bit on one side but only noticeable at 100% and even then it's very very small amount.

Last edited:

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Seems like the DLXF batch is looking good.

For those of you with DLXF iPad2s, how's the brightness compare to the earlier units?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.