Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I'm wondering what I should clean my iMac screen with? I've used the black cloth provided by Apple, however it hasn't done enough. Should I use water and vinegar? Glass cleaner? Etc.

Cheers

kjid

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
they recommend a wet soft cloth in the user manual, and don't ever use a spray.

i used tissues with a drop of water to clean mine and it worked fine

MacmancUK

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
A dry duster for mine, and to remove any finger grease etc, a touch of spray furniture polish, sprayed onto a cloth first, away from the iMac.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
I use Monster Cleaner, followed up by the black cloth. Works well.

Some people use iKlear. Apparently that stuff is good.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't bother cleaning mine.

Yes, there are a few smudges and dirt on it, but when the screen is one, you can't really see them there, and I don't want to mess with the glossy coating.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
There's nothing mysterious or special about the screen - it's just a sheet of glass! Clean it just as anyone would clean a window - water and a soft cloth. No need to waste money on expensive "cleaners".

Laststop

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
At Best buy they have simple spray bottle cleaners specially formulated to clean LCD screens thoroughly yet gently and safely. I have a bottle made by monster the same company as the monster that makes all the cables.

The best way to clean LCD screens is buying one of the specially formulated LCD spray bottle cleaners and then using a very soft micro fiber cloth to wipe it down after spraying the cleaning solution. Water can work as well but the spray just dissolves the dirt on contact so you barely have to rub hard with the cloth to get it clean vs water where some types of crud take more elbow grease to get it cleared.

Also not all LCD screens are covered with a layer of glass. Many have the plastic matte type screen directly exposed with no glass covering it. Using glass cleaner on plastic is a no no. That's why you should buy a product designed for LCD's if you want to be totally safe.

Last edited:

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
At my local Apple store they were using Staples (office supply chain) Monitor Wipes, so I picked some up. 100 for $10 and they seem to work great.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Also not all LCD screens are covered with a layer of glass. Many have the plastic matte type screen directly exposed with no glass covering it. Using glass cleaner on plastic is a no no. That's why you should buy a product designed for LCD's if you want to be totally safe.

The OP's query specifically referred to the iMac.

32gb3gwifi

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2011
At Best buy they have simple spray bottle cleaners specially formulated to clean LCD screens thoroughly yet gently and safely. I have a bottle made by monster the same company as the monster that makes all the cables.

The best way to clean LCD screens is buying one of the specially formulated LCD spray bottle cleaners and then using a very soft micro fiber cloth to wipe it down after spraying the cleaning solution. Water can work as well but the spray just dissolves the dirt on contact so you barely have to rub hard with the cloth to get it clean vs water where some types of crud take more elbow grease to get it cleared.

LCD cleaning fluid is not necessary because the LCD is covered by glass, sooo you will never be cleaning the LCD screen. You will, in fact be cleaning a REGULAR piece of glass. the reason apple does not recommend glass cleaners such as windex is purely a liability issue. someone starts spraying windex all over the iMac, not a good idea.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
A dry duster for mine, and to remove any finger grease etc, a touch of spray furniture polish, sprayed onto a cloth first, away from the iMac.

Whatever you do, DON'T use POLISH as this person is suggesting. As they mentioned themselves - it's a FURNITURE polish. Your iMac is not furniture. These are typically wood polishes which leave a coating behind to protect the wood, they often contain waxes or oils and might be very difficult to remove if you put them on.

You want to take smudges OFF the screen, not put stuff ON TO it. Like others are saying, it's nothing but a piece of glass so start off gently with warm soapy water and if it doesn't do the full job get a mild screen cleaner or go the half and half water vinegar route, all the time remembering to never apply the liquids directly to the screen but to the cloth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.