Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google announced an update yesterday to its Google Search iOS app that includes speed and interface improvements. Google Search received a major revamp in March featuring a new interface and gestures to refine search results. Yesterday's update to version 0.8.2.6553 makes the app "20% more responsive" and disables the "Just Talk" voice-activated search function by default.

Additionally, search results are now shown in a larger font size and the entirety of each search result is now a tappable target.

google-search-results-old1.png
google-search-results-new.png

Search results in the previous version of Google Search (left) and in the latest version (right)

Google Search remains a free universal app and requires iOS 3.0 or higher.

Article Link: 'Google Search' Updated, Now 20% Faster

Last edited by a moderator:

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Does anyone even use this instead of searching through the browser?

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008

Frequently. Best feature is voice search -- just hold the phone up and talk your search term. Voice recognition is usually very good.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Good for Push Notifications

I don't use it for search but it allows you to get push notifications for email and calendar and provides a consolidated list of most of the mobile services Google provides for iOS.

Also, if you're ever stuck on a Sudoku, Google Goggles can solve it for you.

harpinred

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Great app while we wait for Siri

I use this all the time to quickly look up anything that I'm interested in. It's fast, accurate and brings great results. When Siri gets fully integrated into the new iOS, I'll probably use that more but for now, this is a good solution for when you don't want to type everything out. The voice recognition is impressive.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I don't use it for search but it allows you to get push notifications for email and calendar and provides a consolidated list of most of the mobile services Google provides for iOS.

Also, if you're ever stuck on a Sudoku, Google Goggles can solve it for you.

I have not figured out how to get push notifications for Emails through the app. How do you do it? Or are you referring to the red badge on the icon being up-to-date? I only see the the option for calendar alerts. My email is already pushed to my device with the Microsoft Exchange/m.google.com workaround, but obviously the mail app doesn't do pop-up notifications for new emails, which is what want.

---
Sent from my iPad 2

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I have not figured out how to get push notifications for Emails through the app. How do you do it? Or are you referring to the red badge on the icon being up-to-date? I only see the the option for calendar alerts. My email is already pushed to my device with the Microsoft Exchange/m.google.com workaround, but obviously the mail app doesn't do pop-up notifications for new emails, which is what want.

---
Sent from my iPad 2

If you want a pop up notification, I would recommend Boxcar.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxcar/id321493542?mt=8

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is voice recognition in the browser version as well.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA

---
Sent from my iPad 2

I was referring to the badge being updated via push for Gmail.
Kenzbud suggested Boxcar for the functionality you want and I agree that it'll work for you. Jailbreaking and using LockInfo would be all around better, though that may require another thread entirely.
Here's some info from when Google first enabled the functionality, others had your exact question: http://jstnfrd.com/joC8OT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.