Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hey guys, I want to sell my phone to upgrade to the ip4, but I have to restore it and keep the unlock/jailbreak. Right now, I'm running 4.2.1fw on baseband 06.15.00. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I have some experience with jailbreaking, but I don't want to mess with the baseband. Thanks in advance

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
You'll have to create custom 4.2.1 firmware using Pwnagetool (Mac) or Snowbreeze (Windows). I believe that there is also new software to do this on Windows but I'm a little hazy on the name. You will shift+restore (option + restore on Mac) and a window will open. Select the custom firmware and it will restore it. You have the option to make the custom firmware pre-jailbroken, so that your phone is already jailbroken right from the get go. You will, however, need to re-install Ultrasn0w but this shouldn't be a big deal.

:)

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Awesome, thanks! Just a couple of quick questions though: will the baseband be okay to unlock after the restore, and how do I activate the phone after I restore?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Awesome, thanks! Just a couple of quick questions though: will the baseband be okay to unlock after the restore, and how do I activate the phone after I restore?

The baseband will not be affected, it cannot be changed until Apple officially releases an iPhone baseband above 6.15.00, which could take a while...

Custom firmware can be made to be activated upon install, or you could also activate the phone using a SIM from the carrier it's locked to.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The link was also kind of useful. So I tried runnning a trial of sorts and seeing what would happen in Sn0wbreeze. I downloaded the firmware file for 4.2.1, but there was some encryption error when I tried to extract it. I was unable to find the .ipsw file anywhere. I'm running Windows 7 right now, if that helps. Also, putting the phone into DFU mode and restoring with fw that already has Cydia wont brick my phone, will it? Also, will I run into any problems since I'm keeping it on 4.2.1 or do I have to upgrade it? Sorry for all the questions. :eek:

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
The latest version of SB is only compatible with 4.3.1 I believe. and the one before that was 4.2.1. There's not a version that's compatible with all firmwares. Do a search on the internet for Sn0wbreeze 2.2 final or give me your e-mail address and I can send it to you that way.
You can find any firmware you need here. http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

It's almost impossible to legitimately brick an iPhone unless you screw up installing a baseband in which case the phone will become an iPod Touch. You will be able to restore to 4.2.1 because you've jailbroken that firmware before, which means you have "blobs" which allow you to return to that firmware at any time, even without Apple's signing.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Aha, but I researched this issue beforehand and downloaded Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1. The problem is that I can't find the firmware file I downloaded, the .ipsw, because it doesn't seem to be present in the folders. It's really weird because when I try to extract the zip file, it runs into some encryption problem. Would maybe restoring to say, 4.3.1, work better?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Don't use IE; it screws up the d/l. Use a real browser like firefox, chrome, opera or safari.

ETA: if you try to install 4.2.1 now, make sure you're using the blob or you'll encounter errors.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Don't use IE; it screws up the d/l. Use a real browser like firefox, chrome, opera or safari.

ETA: if you try to install 4.2.1 now, make sure you're using the blob or you'll encounter errors.

Um, what is the blob? :eek:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you don't know what a blob is chances are you haven't saved your shsh blobs. which will allow you to install unsigned firmware on a 3gs or I4. if you haven't saved them then you can't install firmware once apple stops signing. you can check cydia and tiny umbrella to see if it's saved. I doubt it if your asking what it is. ;) search check shsh blobs via google for all the info.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
if you don't know what a blob is chances are you haven't saved your shsh blobs. which will allow you to install unsigned firmware on a 3gs or I4. if you haven't saved them then you can't install firmware once apple stops signing. you can check cydia and tiny umbrella to see if it's saved. I doubt it if your asking what it is. ;) search check shsh blobs via google for all the info.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I bought my phone already jailbroken and unlocked. When I would open up Cydia, along the top it says "SHSH: iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, etc." all the way up to "4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3". Just in case, i did some research and tried using TinyUmbrella. It didn't seem to do anything, so I did further research and downloaded iSHSHit on my phone. I used that and it said blobs saved. Cydia still has the same thing running across the top? Are the blobs saved? Thanks.

P.S I downloaded the fw file using FireFox. Worked great! Thanks eastercat!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You have to connect your phone and press the save button in TU for it to work. I haven't used anything else, so you'll have to search around for help with the other program.

IbanezBoy67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Well, if in Cydia it says, along the top of the top of the screen, "SHSH: iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3", does it mean SHSH blobs are saved?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
D/l tiny umbrella, connect and save shsh. This saves the blobs to your computer.
Start the TU server and open iTunes (if you're installing anything other than 4.3.3).
Proceed as you normally would with custom firmware.

Snowbreeze may require a software loading DFU, like pwnage, before installing the firmware. If it does, you can use redsnow to DFU the phone.

Chips95

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
iPhone 3GS

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I have reposted already. Please remove this post.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.