Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I dropped my iPad 2 today after slipping on the running boards of a car. The corner cracked a little bit but not on the actual screen. I have an invisible sheild which is holding it together right now but I don't have to keep it that way. I have already decided I am just going to buy a new one unless this works. I know that when people crack a windshield they go get the cracks filled with some kind of glue or something. Would this work on an iPad? The screen doesn't have cracks over it and it isn't that. I'll load pictures when I'm off work. Anyone done or thought about this before?

Ryxsolo

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
I don't think resin would work. Even you did apply it, it would need UV to cure it.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I don't think resin would work. Even you did apply it, it would need UV to cure it.

I have never owned a car so I don't known much about this. So the glue needs the sun to work, do you know how long it takes? The reason I ask is because I have friends who have cracked their windshields and they get the resin stuff and you can't barely see the crack anymore.

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Even after windshields are repaired, you can still see the damage if you're looking for it. I think if you tried it on an ipad, best possible outcome, it will still be very noticeable since you have much more interaction with the glass.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
A few hours or more. I wouldn't use this on the iPad.

Even after windshields are repaired, you can still see the damage if you're looking for it. I think if you tried it on an ipad, best possible outcome, it will still be very noticeable since you have much more interaction with the glass.

Thanks for the advice. It's true that I'd see it a lot easier on an iPad than a windshield. I just thought that may be a good idea.

I cant understand how it's broke, posta pic please.

I will when I'm off work. About four more hours.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Ok some pictures. I noticed you couldn't see it very much without the flash so I took a couple with and without. Also check out more in the gallery.
Without flash:
web.jpg

With flash:
web.jpg

Now a full picture:
web.jpg

You can see more in my MobileMe Gallery, there are some pictures of the bottom part of the iPad. There is a tiny little dent that I don't know how I got, it has been there for a while. Pretty much unnoticeable unless you try to find it: http://gallery.me.com/benhollberg#100091&bgcolor=black&view=grid

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
It looks like the invisible shield may be keeping it from spreading. Id keep the shield on there. Powerbookmedic.com can repair for around 160 as well. Apple stores have been very generous on a case by case basis as well. Good luck.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
It looks like the invisible shield may be keeping it from spreading. Id keep the shield on there. Powerbookmedic.com can repair for around 160 as well. Apple stores have been very generous on a case by case basis as well. Good luck.

Ya I am glad the invisible shield is there, I know I'll keep it on for now. I kinda just want to get a new one and try to sell this. It is a 64 GB WiFi so it is worth quite a bit I think, even with the crack. As far as the Apple Store, the geniuses like me but the management doesn't. I'd have to get in there on a good day for them. I am not sure about repairing, I could sell it for more than $160 and then just buy a new I think. I might put it here in the Marketplace after this weekend.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Ouch!

That's tough.. I guess I would see what they would charge you to replace it.

If you were to sell it I would imagine you would get something like 500-550 for it, maybe less.

I could be wrong on that, and wow, can't believe they'll repair it, the iPad 2 is a real bitch to get into with all the adhesive.

Anyways, sorry to see that, but the auto glass stuff probably won't work, unfortunately.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I think I'll go to the Apple Store and just see what they say about it. I can't go until Monday though because of something this weekend. On Monday, or late Sunday, I'll also post the kinda embarrassing story about how this happened. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I think I'll go to the Apple Store and just see what they say about it. I can't go until Monday though because of something this weekend. On Monday, or late Sunday, I'll also post the kinda embarrassing story about how this happened. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

accidents happen man, at least you got your health :)

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005

Be truthful. I told them what happened to mine and they did a one time exception and waved the fee. The repair for mine was $419 if I'd had to pay. The genius said it usually is half the price of the iPad to repair. I wish you luck and hopefully the manager won't give you an issue. I had an issue with a manager at an apple store a few years ago but I just dint giro that store anymore. I'm lucky here to have a few.

Anyway, good luck!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
If you had Square Trade ADH insurance, you'd be OK....and people ask me why I bother with iPad insurance?

Good luck, though...try the Apple Store for sure, be respectful and truthgful, and avoid that manager!

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Ow. I think you'd have better luck taking it to an Apple Store first. You might just get lucky and receive a free replacement. The worst that could happen is a price quote to "repair" your unit with them.

Good luck

-C

Sent from my iPad

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for all the advice, I plan on going to the Apple Store this week to see what they can do. Hopefully I can make it Monday or Tuesday.

web.jpg

Anyway this is what happened, I got called into work about two hours early on Friday so I was still pretty tired. They wanted me there as soon as I could so I decided to borrow a car instead of walk like I usually do. It was raining a lot and had been for a long time. I stepped up on the running boards of the truck and put my foot on the chrome part instead of the black plastic part and just slipped back. I ended up catching myself on the door handle but the iPad didn't fare so well. The bad thing about this is that I always step on the chrome part of that truck, most of the time just expecting it to be slick and so I brace myself. I must have been still pretty tired and just wasn't thinking.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Oooooh... well.... it's not THAT bad. I'd just get one of those cases that covers the bezel and be done with it. Or a Gelaskin or something.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Was at the Apple Store today. They said I can get a replacement iPad 2 for $349. I think I'll do that unless I find someone to buy this one. They don't cover accidental damage which is what I expected to hear. This would be an out-of-warranty replacement, according to the Genius. I asked if the iPad would be new or refurbished and he didn't say but he said they usually look brand new. Can anyone help me out and tell me if the out-of-warranty replacement iPad 2s are new or refurbished?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I never actually went ahead and did this but it is cool to see someone that did, and it worked is great. That iPad 2 I was talking about is sitting about two feet from me right now and hasn't been used in a super long time. Maybe next time I need something to do I could try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.