Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_store_app_icon.jpg

It is becoming clear that Apple is planning to roll out a number of changes to its store functionalities this weekend, including both online and brick-and-mortar purchasing platforms. With a number of tips regarding staff meetings set for Sunday morning at the company's retail stores, minor store makeovers, and now online order statuses going offline, Apple certainly seems to be seeking to roll out changes across the board.

While a revamped Apple Store application for iOS devices has been among the rumored rollouts for this weekend, we've now received a few additional details about changes coming to the app. According to sources, the revamped app will debut on Sunday with full support for customizing build-to-order Macs, offering the complete range of options currently available through Apple's website.

Customers are said to be able to customize the full range of processor, memory, hard drive, and other hardware options available for each model, as well as preinstalled software titles. In addition, customers will be able to select add-ons such as AppleCare and printers just as is currently possible through the full online Apple store portals.

The current Apple Store application supports only stock configurations for each model, along with the ability to add select options such as AppleCare and One to One.

Just over a year ago, we received word from a reader who had sent an email asking Apple CEO Steve Jobs whether the company had plans to roll out an iPhone-friendly version of its online store, to which Jobs reportedly responded "Coming soon." The company's Apple Store application appeared a little over a month later, but up until now has not supported the full range of ordering options available in the regular online store. With this update, it seems clear that Apple has opted to move the mobile ordering experience into an app rather than deploying it as a mobile-formatted website.

And just a few months ago, a number of job postings appeared suggesting that Apple was looking to make significant changes to its online store. We haven't yet heard, however, of any major changes coming to the regular online store this weekend aside from an update to the order status functionality, but it also seems rather soon for Apple to have filled the significant number of open positions and had the team in place long enough to complete a thorough redesign of the company's online store.

Article Link: Apple to Update 'Apple Store' iOS App With Full Build-to-Order Mac Customization Options

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I wonder if you'll be able to select educational or business pricing as well?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Well... even though it's cool that they are adding this to the app, I really think that if I am ordering something as expensive and as detailed as a built to order Mac, I will take the time to do it from a web browser on a computer.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Well... even though it's cool that they are adding this to the app, I really think that if I am ordering something as expensive and as detailed as a built to order Mac, I will take the time to do it from a web browser on a computer.

No doubt. Though, maybe iPad users will get more use out of that functionality?

I think I've only used that app to schedule and/or cancel genius appointments.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown

well said!

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Be handy in the uk

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania

You would and someone else wouldn't.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Let's bring back custom colors. Better have images that we upload, silk-screened on the custom Mac!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I kind of have a thing about Apple encouraging so many apps that have no more functionality than a web app (site optimized for a small screen). But now I find out that the current Apple Store app actually has LESS functionality than the web-site! I thought the whole point of apps is to provide more than a web app could. Although I think the real reason is that where Microsoft failed, Apple is succeeding in making parts of the web monetized and proprietary.

Don't get me wrong--I love apps where there is value in it being an app. I just think that a lot of the 250,000 apps could be web apps (web pages).

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
So technically one should be able to buy the 128 gb mba 13" and upgrade the processor + ram, without having to opt for the much more expensive 256 gb model?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
... Just had a little eager search for the iOS Apple Store... Now I'm finding out it's not available just about everywhere.

Doesn't concern me; don't care!

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I don't understand the need for an app. I think making the website 3.5" and 10" touch screen friendly would be better.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I think perhaps the good thing about this sort of an app vs website, is that they don't have to create a new website optimized for the smaller screens?

And that people might be able to access the app offline, making them need internet only to order?

I also think that the servers used by Apple will be stressed less due to the fact that it will only have to process finished orders, not everyone's change to the hardware lineup and everyone's browsing around in the shop, i.e. only people actually buying something and not everyone just checking out the different options?

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011

It sounds like you can then go into the store and order said BTO which IMO is great.

I've been on the fence with whether to go BTO or pick up a Best Buy box model...mostly due to Sales Tax shipping via Apple Online.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

1080p said:

Yes, as in, the iPad.

I do online shopping and major transactions on my iPhone, never mind something as big and comfortable as the iPad. You should have no problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.