Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clownbaby

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I just got the G2X so I'm pretty new to android and you guys seem like you own it.

Any tips, suggestions, etc?

I like what some of you have done but have no idea how to do it.

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
My_Galaxy.jpg

nice are you using launcher pro?

this is my G2x (Optimus 2X) a real phone unlike yours :p joking... I like the SGS 2 but didn't want to wait to long to get a new phone. I'm running the latest CM 7 nightly.... nothing special so far just launcher pro... haven't had an android phone for a long time (used blackberry for the past year)

Attachments

• screen_20110520_0157.png
    screen_20110520_0157.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Yea, WidgetLocker is totally awesome. You should check out THIS thread over at XDA, and all the custom unlocker themes you can use. That way you don't have to use the default-look slider any more, if you want to customize it more.

How do you find Widget Locker usable? Last time I tried it it was plagued with problems. Correct me if everything's fixed though.

Do you see your old lockscreen for a second right before you turn on the display? Problems like that?

---
Sent from my iPhone 4

mr.suff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2006
Leeds
@Hypmatise; I'm using ADW Ex.

5x5 grid

Beautiful Weather 5x1 with White theme

Similar Clock w/ Battery 5x1
Camera App
Switch Pro w/ 6 shortcuts

Dock icons were Packy. Search XDA for them.
I have since changed them to be just text.
More inline with the whole screen.

Krovem

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Indiana
It was time for a change, so here is my new, current setup. I went a little more clean and simplistic this time. Links provided to everything used....

Samsung Captivate, Gingerbread 2.3.3
ADW Launcher EX - Hidden Dock and Status bar (swipe down = Status, swipe up = Dock)

Main Screen
Fancy Widget Pro - Small Home Clock (Oscilloscope skin)
Simi Clock Pro - Battery widget

Left Screen
Amazon MP3
AiX Weather - Weather graph
Beautiful Widgets - 4x1 Weather Forecast (Tick skin)

Lock Screen
Widget Locker
Fancy Widget Pro - Small Home Clock (Oscilloscope skin)
Simi Clock Pro - Battery widget
Custom "Daft Punk" slider unlock (Swipe the logo right to unlock)

Daft Punk FTW!

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
How do you find Widget Locker usable? Last time I tried it it was plagued with problems. Correct me if everything's fixed though.

Do you see your old lockscreen for a second right before you turn on the display? Problems like that?
I've used it for quite some time, and it has worked flawlessly for me. There is an option in the settings for disabling the stock lock screen, so you'll never see it. I always do that, and have never had the issue you describe. That might be why, not sure. In general, though, it has worked great.

Daft Punk FTW!
I agree :D

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf

---
Sent from my iPhone 4

I tried it out and that happened to me as well...kind of buggy, i uninstalled it

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I tried it out and that happened to me as well...kind of buggy, i uninstalled it

What's even more annoying is that even with root permissions, and that bypass-thingy checked in the settings, the problem still persists. Had that problem on all my Android phones, so I don't know what gives.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
What's even more annoying is that even with root permissions, and that bypass-thingy checked in the settings, the problem still persists. Had that problem on all my Android phones, so I don't know what gives.
It is weird to hear you guys say this, because as I said before, the app has worked exactly as advertised for me, with none of those problems. Did you try to disable the stock lockscreen in the settings? I'm not sure what version you guys tried, but it was recently updated in the last month or so. Not sure if the problems you guys had were fixed or not. Throughout all the versions I've tried, though, it has worked great on my phone.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Yep, I tried everything! I've never been able to make it work properly.

how does someone not rooted take screenshots?
Hate to say it but I don't think you can. :/ One of the downfalls of Android.

EDIT: Oh wait, isn't there a way to do it through ADB? I've never tried. Always done it with drocap.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
how does someone not rooted take screenshots?
There are a few phones that have a similar screencap function like the iPhone has, with the Power button and another pressed simultaneously (LG Optimus, the G2X, the Galaxy SII, Droid Charge). Other than those rare instances, I think ADB is the only other way without rooting.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
do I really need to root my phone to get rid of default installed applications? amazon for example is a waste of space on my phone.

there has to be another way without rooting isn't there?

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
do I really need to root my phone to get rid of default installed applications? amazon for example is a waste of space on my phone.

there has to be another way without rooting isn't there?
Depends on the phone and how your carrier cooked in the various apps. Sometimes you can, but more than likely you can't. To check, go to....

Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications

...and click on the "All" tab. This will show you every single app on the phone. When you click on them, at the top of the screen next to the "Force Stop" button there will be an "Uninstall" button. Again though, this depends on your phone and carrier, and more than likely, you will not be given that option.

That is why root is needed. When you are rooted, you have the power to use apps such as Titanium Backup and uninstall anything and everything. This can be a great thing, as some carriers, Verizon in particular, pack in so much crap. Much of it is basically useless, but they can also be big resource hogs as well.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have a question about Android, I always see people saying "The stock apps take up too much space" ... well can't you just stick a MicroSD and install apps on that? Is that even possible?

Sergeant Pepper

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I have a question about Android, I always see people saying "The stock apps take up too much space" ... well can't you just stick a MicroSD and install apps on that? Is that even possible?

Yes, but only if you have Froyo/Gingerbread and only if the app supports it. Plus, some stock apps run in the background when you don't need or want them to and take up resources. For example, my phone came with a preinstalled .apk that sat there and counted the number of times I slid open the hardware keyboard. That was it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes, but only if you have Froyo/Gingerbread and only if the app supports it. Plus, some stock apps run in the background when you don't need or want them to and take up resources. For example, my phone came with a preinstalled .apk that sat there and counted the number of times I slid open the hardware keyboard. That was it.

LMAO.
Well I don't happen to own an Android myself, but would you be able to tell me if most apps support being saved on an SD card (facebook, twitter, pandora, etc etc)

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
LMAO.
Well I don't happen to own an Android myself, but would you be able to tell me if most apps support being saved on an SD card (facebook, twitter, pandora, etc etc)
It has been a while since they started offering that, so I would think many of the major apps that people use offer it. I don't use the feature personally, because the internal 16GB my phone has is more than enough for me, but looking through my apps it's about 75% that do offer it.

Netflix, Foursquare, Dropbox, Evernote, Angry Birds, Pandora all DO offer it, whereas GMail, Google Reader, Astro, Tweetdeck, Amazon Appstore DO NOT. It seems, looking at the ones that do and do not, it hinges on how closely to system services they are tied.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It has been a while since they started offering that, so I would think many of the major apps that people use offer it. I don't use the feature personally, because the internal 16GB my phone has is more than enough for me, but looking through my apps it's about 75% that do offer it.

Netflix, Foursquare, Dropbox, Evernote, Angry Birds, Pandora all DO offer it, whereas GMail, Google Reader, Astro, Tweetdeck, Amazon Appstore DO NOT. It seems, looking at the ones that do and do not, it hinges on how closely to system services they are tied.

Thank you, i really appreciate it. I don't see myself signing a contract with an Android in the future, but if I were to get one, it would be the Optimus V route. $25 for unlimited data, text and 300 minutes on Sprints network is a deal. It has 140Mb internal storage and it has 2.2 so that should be fine. With that being said, I don't see myself getting an Optimus V in the future either lol

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The Optimus V is probably an adequate phone for a lot of things, but the high latency Virgin data network is kinda annoying - it maxes out at around 1mbit/sec if you're lucky (200-300 if you're not), and has really high ping times in a lot of places because it routes all the way to Kansas(?).

Kinda weird, because it uses Sprint's network which is a pretty decent data network.

Come to think of it, I should probably go back to beating myself up for paying $100 a month for 2 androids on T-Mobile when I could be paying Virgin $50 a month for the same thing! I mean the data is much faster (even at the slowest, I get 500-600kbit/sec and it maxes at around 8mbit/sec!)) but I could've lived off the slower speeds for half as much.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The Optimus V is probably an adequate phone for a lot of things, but the high latency Virgin data network is kinda annoying - it maxes out at around 1mbit/sec if you're lucky (200-300 if you're not), and has really high ping times in a lot of places because it routes all the way to Kansas(?).

Kinda weird, because it uses Sprint's network which is a pretty decent data network.

Come to think of it, I should probably go back to beating myself up for paying $100 a month for 2 androids on T-Mobile when I could be paying Virgin $50 a month for the same thing! I mean the data is much faster (even at the slowest, I get 500-600kbit/sec and it maxes at around 8mbit/sec!)) but I could've lived off the slower speeds for half as much.

Sprint's coverage is pretty good over here. I'm in a pretty big city so they really did make coverage solid. I know I could easily hit 700-1000kbit/sec with Sprint. Loading websites on my friends Sprint phone on 3G was fast enough. Sure, I probably won't be getting the ~3000kbit/s i get right now on AT&T, but I don't really mind for $25 a month. As long as emails pull through, facebook/twitter load and pandora work ... I really don't mind. In fact, Sprints network isn't as bad as I thought over here (even MetroPCS has 4g here and averages 5500kbit/s :eek:) and is really good. I really like how the optimus V is so cheap and can do so much. you get access to the android market which is pretty decent. with that being said, i don't see myself leaving AT&T or my iPhone just yet since there are other lines on my account.

the main part i like though is you get unlimited data and you can tether

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
Rooted Samsung Fascinate running 2.2.1 OTA.

bqdiT.png
kJa9Z.png

The words on the left screen are all pictures, and for some reason the icon pack had no "sports" or "settings" icon, but had them without the "s" on the end. Whatever...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.