Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpomeran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Hi,
My late 2007 model Mac White Notebook's hard drive suddenly died.
I took it to Tekserve here in NYC and they told me it would be 250 + tax to
replace it.

I'm wondering right now whether or not it will be worth it to spend that kind of money on a three and 1/2 year old computer? I have an academic discount on new mac laptops through my job.

I'm particularly concerned at the stability of the old computer once I put in a new hard drive. I'm going abroad for the summer to do work on my computer mainly and can't afford to have the old guy die.

Thanks for the help... Maurice

XQYZ

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
You could also just spend 50 dollars (+ a couple of bucks for a screwdriver) and replace it yourself (or get somebody to do it for you). 250 dollars is way overboard for this.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
You could also just spend 50 dollars (+ a couple of bucks for a screwdriver) and replace it yourself (or get somebody to do it for you). 250 dollars is way overboard for this.

I agree with this post. I have an older macbook then you and if (rather when) the hard drive dies I will replace it myself. Its relatively cheap (certainly under one hundred for a very large hard drive) and easy!

mpomeran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Yes I thought it was too much.

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I thought it was too much.

More to the point, even if I (but I don't trust myself) were able to do this myself, the issue is really one of being able to rely on the computer after this.

Do I know that this is necessarily a problem with the hard drive? Or is it really as simple as you suggest?

Maurice

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If it is the hard drive, they are pretty easy to replace on the old models.OWC had videos online that show the process. They also sell "kits" with tools and drives if you need those. You might want to go with the kit that includes an external USB case. You can get a 250gb "kit" for $60. You can get larger kits too. Then mount the new drive in the case and see if that solves your issue. When you are sure that it has, then just install it internally.

Last edited:

RolandVet

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I thought it was too much.

More to the point, even if I (but I don't trust myself) were able to do this myself, the issue is really one of being able to rely on the computer after this.

Do I know that this is necessarily a problem with the hard drive? Or is it really as simple as you suggest?

Maurice

Really as simple. If something else goes wrong with your current laptop after this remember you can migrate the new bigger/faster drive to the new laptop.

Does the price perhaps include data recovery? Because that's something you can't do.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
You really should replace the hard drive yourself. It is very easy to do on your model of computer. All you need is a quarter, a philips #0 screwdriver, and a Torx screwdriver (found at any hardware store).

Your machine likely has a lot of life in it. I've got a late 2007 Macbook and I plan on keeping it for at least a year and possibly 3.

mpomeran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
Just installed it and restoring the system from my external hard drive

Hi All,
Thank you for the good advice (and saving me the 150-200 dollars).
I bought a 500 gb seagate drive and it seemed to go in effortlessly.
I am restoring my system with time machine right now.
I hope this works!

I'll let you know if there are any other issues!

All best,
Maurice

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
As to your worry about the computer being reliable after this, there's nothing in the computer that made your HDD die. All HDDs will die, the question is not "if" but "when". So don't worry about your computer's reliability.

aleXXXps

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
My roommate used to buy old MacBooks off of college students that had silly issues such as broken hard drives, dead ram modules, etc. He would just change out the parts and then resell them for 4x what he bought them for. Funny because he wasn't even that tech savy, he just knew how to fix the easy problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.