Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Hello. I have a quick question! I would love to have this done, and I have a feeling it can be. I want to take ipod nano (video the square one) screens out (I have 2) and I want to attach them to glasses, to make them like video glasses. I want them to still display the ipod os or whatever, (a video is what will be shown) but I want the two screens connected as one and I want to be able to have them separated. What I am trying to say is there is going to be two ipod screens, both connected to the same video cord (so they are synced) and I want an cord strung down to my pocket, where my ipod is and have the m (The screens) playing a video. I still want to use the ipod, but the screens are somewhere else (on the glasses). Do you get what I am saying, because it is hard for me to put into words how I want this.

Would this be possible, and if so, what would I need?

Thanks so much!

-Tech Freak

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
It's not possible to have the two monitors showing different images, you'd need two iPods for that. Second, they would be mounted less that an inch away from your eyes, that's going to be seriously painful after a few minutes.

Mounting will also be hard. You'll need to find some frames that are two inches diagonally with a 4:3 ratio and you'll need to extend the ribbon cables from the LCDs. While extending isn't too bad, you'll be left with cables with are extremely likely to break at either the iPod end or where the displays are mounted.

It's just not practical at all.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well, that and can you focus that close. Although I have old eyes, I can't focus that close. I don't think that I ever could. But what about taking a pair of the glasses that projected the image you wanted to see on the lens. That might not work though, it opens a new struggle to get the Nano display interfaced with the glasses...

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
It's not possible to have the two monitors showing different images, you'd need two iPods for that. Second, they would be mounted less that an inch away from your eyes, that's going to be seriously painful after a few minutes.

Mounting will also be hard. You'll need to find some frames that are two inches diagonally with a 4:3 ratio and you'll need to extend the ribbon cables from the LCDs. While extending isn't too bad, you'll be left with cables with are extremely likely to break at either the iPod end or where the displays are mounted.

It's just not practical at all.

Well, sorry, let me rephrase what I was trying to do. I want to take two ipoad nanos (Square ipods) and use there screens to make video glasses. The screens would be glued to a frame to fit the screens. The screens would be shown on the outside, not from viewing with my eyes. I would like the two screens to be like connected together to play the same thing, and the video cord would run down into my pocket where another ipod play the actual thing I want it to. more or less, its this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ-ElQDzmdw in the begining, when she uses the video glasses. I want to make those

Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Oh ok, that makes more sense.
Getting the wiring sorted is still a major problem, you'd need to make a cable connecting the LCD to the logic board, by connecting a long piece of wire made of up smaller threads to each corresponding trace on the connector, for the LCD and logic board. I'd suggest using IDE cable or something for that.

The connections you need are in the beige rectangle, on the orange ribbon cable of the LCD on the right.

201052311163514626.jpg

Aaaaaaand even if you get that done, the cables wont be durable at all, and likely to break at the connections with a very slight tug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.