Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Does anyone (from the US preferably) have experience using the Skype app as a primary phone connection while abroad? I don't need to be able to communicate at all times but I need to be able to call the US while I'm in Italy and thought Skype might be a good solution to use while on WiFi. I would also like a number that people can call that would ring my phone (the Skype app) while I'm connected to WiFi as well. I don't need to be able to call or received calls on 3G (don't want to pay for international roaming) but would like to be able to receive voicemails. Can Skype handle this and what are the best services to sign up for? Thanks.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
You can buy a Skype number and Skype VM and you'd be able to do all the things you mentioned. Prices for Skype calls and services are on the Skype web site.

Another option would be to have Skype forward your regular number to Skype (there is a cost) and for free you can have it setup so that when you call people from Skype it shows as your cell number.

Hullomail is a free voicemail option but is dependant on the cell provider supporting call forwarding and it also comes out of your inclusive minutes. More info on the Hullomail web site.

MuggleReviewer

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
Cambridge, UK
Skype + GoogleVoice = abroad Win

I would recommend using skype for calling but googleVoice for texting and voicemails. GoogleVoice (must be set up while still in the USA) is free to get a number where people can text and leave voicemails and you can respond to the sms for free while skype charges you for all of the above. That being said, googleVoice does not allow you to make calls while abroad. So what I do is have people text or leave a voicemail on my GoogleVoice number to arrange a time to both be on skype or just skype their mobile in return and pay the minimal fee.

Hope this helps! Gute Reise=)

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I would recommend using skype for calling but googleVoice for texting and voicemails. GoogleVoice (must be set up while still in the USA) is free to get a number where people can text and leave voicemails and you can respond to the sms for free while skype charges you for all of the above. That being said, googleVoice does not allow you to make calls while abroad. So what I do is have people text or leave a voicemail on my GoogleVoice number to arrange a time to both be on skype or just skype their mobile in return and pay the minimal fee.

Hope this helps! Gute Reise=)

I have a Google Voice number but how would you set this up? Give people my GV # and have it ring my Skype number while I'm away? When I call from Skype is there any way to make the caller ID show my GV #? What Skype services would be the best to sign up for?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My girlfriend and I both used the Skype app on our respective iPhone 4's while we were vacationing in Montreal. The app worked great so that we were able to stay in touch with our families. As other's have mentioned here, you can purchase a Skype number so that family and friend's can call you while you're connected to a wifi hotspot in Italy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.