Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
What's in the "other" category?

When syncing with iTunes the capacity graph bar at the bottom ofthe summary screen shows audio, photos, apps, books, other, and free.

What does the "other" represent? I'm trying to clear space and see 2.5 gigs worth of "other"

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If you have a jailbroken device, then any jailbreak apps and settings you have are stored in that portion labeled "other". That could explain why it is such a large capacity. There is other stuff stored there too, but I'm not sure what the rest of it is.

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I've noticed this: If you have apps that download podcasts and stuff, Podcaster is my example, when I cleaned out the old podcasts the "other" went way down. Other apps may work the same way.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I use Zinio, and you can download full magazines through that app. These are fullscreen images of 100-page magazines, which means they take up tens or hundreds of megs. I'm pretty sure stuff like that is what "Other" is. When I discovered this, I was extremely glad I bought a 64 GB iPad 2 instead of 16.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Contacts, Calendars, Alarms, Settings, Call Log, Text Messages.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've noticed this: If you have apps that download podcasts and stuff, Podcaster is my example, when I cleaned out the old podcasts the "other" went way down. Other apps may work the same way.

All Apps work this way.

Whether the App is storing game saves, eBooks, Audio Files, Video Files, Documents etc. then it'll appear in the "Other" section.

Files are only put in the specified categories for things that iTunes syncs itself (like iBooks, Music from your iTunes library etc.)

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
All Apps work this way.

Whether the App is storing game saves, eBooks, Audio Files, Video Files, Documents etc. then it'll appear in the "Other" section.

Files are only put in the specified categories for things that iTunes syncs itself (like iBooks, Music from your iTunes library etc.)

Spotify seems to store the audio within the app itself - that is unless 400 songs can be stored in 0.2GB of 'other'...

I guess I'll see if the 'app' storage or 'other' storage grow as I add more tracks.

Edit. Okay I've checked and Spotify stores the audio in the 'app' section as unticking Spotify in iTunes drops the 'app' storage from 4.8 to 2.1.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I had this issue for many months, but iOS 4.3 seemed to have finally fixed this issue (for me).

I tried several things to make the 'Other' go away, and the only way I've been able to clear "Other" is by:

-Plugging in my iPhone/iPad to iTunes
-Go to the Music tab and add a new album that is not yet on my phone
-Then wile its 'Syncing', wait until it gets to the part where its adding the new songs, then
-Yank/Pull the USB cable from the phone.
-Wait a few seconds for iTunes to recognize that your iPhone has been unplugged, then plug it back in. Now 'Other' should be cleared.

screenshot20110525at100.png

I can't guarantee that this will work, but I read this tip on the iPad forum a few months ago and it seems to work for me. I've read several theories from it being a Corrupted file to just a Caching error, several theories and a trip to the Genius Bar has yet to pin point what the actual issue is, but what I posted above seems to always do the trick for me.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Is there any way to see how much data an app like Zinio is using? I can't believe the 14mb reported on the iTunes sync screen is correct.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Is there any way to see how much data an app like Zinio is using? I can't believe the 14mb reported on the iTunes sync screen is correct.

I used an iPhone Extractor application (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4974), select the App you want info for and look at the file size.

I just did a test with rdio, I made a back-up of my phone with music stored on my device, then a second back-up with the music not stored on my device.

screenshot20110525at104.png

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast

With the phone connected to iTunes, untick the app (but don't apply) and it'll tell you how much space you'll have after it is removed - compare this to what you had before unticking.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Spotify seems to store the audio within the app itself - that is unless 400 songs can be stored in 0.2GB of 'other'...

I guess I'll see if the 'app' storage or 'other' storage grow as I add more tracks.

Edit. Okay I've checked and Spotify stores the audio in the 'app' section as unticking Spotify in iTunes drops the 'app' storage from 4.8 to 2.1.

Yes.

Looking at my usage it makes far more sense that the Apps would store things there.

I have 5.6GB in the Apps category, but the Apps themselves don't take up anywhere near that much.

I'm a bit puzzled by the 1.36GB of "Other" though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.