Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Also I was planning on buying a 3.5" SSD Vertex 2 here:
Vertex 2 3.5"
Does anyone know if this will mount into the Mac Pros Sata Bay?

Looking just at the picture it should mount just fine. Good price for a 120GB SSD, I paid $220 for the Intel SSD.
How are reviews on the Vertex.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Also I was planning on buying a 3.5" SSD Vertex 2 here:
Vertex 2 3.5"
Does anyone know if this will mount into the Mac Pros Sata Bay?

Yes, I have an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" and it works perfectly with the Mac Pro hard drive sleds.

If you want to put it in the optical bay as you stated earlier, you'll still need a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter.

scottjua

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Thanks! Did this last night, on my new mac pro and it worked great.

I tried drilling holes and screwing in the SSd to the CD, but the only bolts I have don't match the thread pitch on the SSD body, so I had to use tape.

I tried velcro, but it was too bulky. Tape it is, until, I get the right bolts/screws, and then I'll just mount it with screws.

I also couldn't get my head around $25 adapters...

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
HXGuy, I like your second attempt. Are you still planning on doing a write up for this?

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
These ideas look great - but I worry about cooling. Would definitely want to drill a bunch of holes in any of those sheets - so that airflow can better reach the SSD enclosure...

skyton

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2005
england
Thanks for posting these ideas!
I am thinking about going down the SSD route and don't like the look of the adapters I have found.

Yetihunter

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Zombi Thread Resurrect

Utilizing a SATA connector that is surface mount soldered to a vertical PCB as your only form of support = either you're saudi royalty rich or just plain too careless to deserve a $3k + computer.

Masking tape and compact discs is a ridiculous over expenditure of workmanship. Aside, any sort of tape...not so good an idea.

Those OWC shelves look perfect, but they're $20 a pop; and you already have a sled.

Traditional sleds won't work, because you'll need a sata cable, and there's just not enough clearance without trashing connectors/joints/cable.

But this is all mute.

Looking at an SSD, let's consider the connector side, positioned so that it's at the left (for mac pro connection) the top. The backmost, leftmost mounting hole lines up with the backmost, leftmost mounting screw on the Mac Pro sled. You'll have to remove (and save or toss) the leftmost screws on the Mac Pro sled and obtain the correct size screws for your ssd. Nonetheless, you've got one corner covered, free.

The leftmost right most screw hole on the sled will have to remain a "wash". It won't be used.

For the right side, you're looking for something like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Chest+Hinges+-+Box+Hinges+-+Lid+Supports/Toy+Box+Lid+Supports/7-1%7C2%22+Lid+Support

You can remove the extraneous hinge stuffs.

or this

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

The backmost/rightmost mount for the ssd is flush to the sled's mount; so you can use anything that is between 2 and 3 inches in length (5.1 to 7 cm).
For the right most/top most, we have an angle to contend with. The distance is 2 inches (5.1 cm) center to center.

If you own a drill press, or proper drill bits and a steady hand; you can buy flat brackets at the hardware store. They may have oil or lubricant on them, however and are often made of unpainted/treated zinc. Not sure how that will chemically interact inside of the computer.

Buttt, if you own a drill press; you are probably aware that you can always order metal plate from companies like "speedymetal" or "onlinemetals", although, at such a small size, I'd just buy a stainless steel wall plate and adjust from there.

I recently grabbed some pre-drilled brackets from the hinge section of a hardware store. They matched up, so I'll chime in if it works. I'd have preferred a flat hinge ala my example, but know one around carries them for some reason.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Utilizing a SATA connector that is surface mount soldered to a vertical PCB as your only form of support = either you're saudi royalty rich or just plain too careless to deserve a $3k + computer.

Masking tape and compact discs is a ridiculous over expenditure of workmanship. Aside, any sort of tape...not so good an idea.

Those OWC shelves look perfect, but they're $20 a pop; and you already have a sled.

Traditional sleds won't work, because you'll need a sata cable, and there's just not enough clearance without trashing connectors/joints/cable.

But this is all mute.

Looking at an SSD, let's consider the connector side, positioned so that it's at the left (for mac pro connection) the top. The backmost, leftmost mounting hole lines up with the backmost, leftmost mounting screw on the Mac Pro sled. You'll have to remove (and save or toss) the leftmost screws on the Mac Pro sled and obtain the correct size screws for your ssd. Nonetheless, you've got one corner covered, free.

The leftmost right most screw hole on the sled will have to remain a "wash". It won't be used.

For the right side, you're looking for something like this:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Chest+Hinges+-+Box+Hinges+-+Lid+Supports/Toy+Box+Lid+Supports/7-1%7C2%22+Lid+Support

You can remove the extraneous hinge stuffs.

or this

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

The backmost/rightmost mount for the ssd is flush to the sled's mount; so you can use anything that is between 2 and 3 inches in length (5.1 to 7 cm).
For the right most/top most, we have an angle to contend with. The distance is 2 inches (5.1 cm) center to center.

If you own a drill press, or proper drill bits and a steady hand; you can buy flat brackets at the hardware store. They may have oil or lubricant on them, however and are often made of unpainted/treated zinc. Not sure how that will chemically interact inside of the computer.

Buttt, if you own a drill press; you are probably aware that you can always order metal plate from companies like "speedymetal" or "onlinemetals", although, at such a small size, I'd just buy a stainless steel wall plate and adjust from there.

I recently grabbed some pre-drilled brackets from the hinge section of a hardware store. They matched up, so I'll chime in if it works. I'd have preferred a flat hinge ala my example, but know one around carries them for some reason.

I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a year old thread but, why would anybody go through all this trouble to try and Micky Mouse something when you can get an Icy Dock adapter, which is great (I have 3), for $15?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Here's my ghetto mount till my OWC Mount Pros come in :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,081

Yetihunter

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I believe it's called: bad reaction to meds. :0

Ps - I totally just bought osx sleds.

I'm not sure why you're resurrecting a year old thread but, why would anybody go through all this trouble to try and Micky Mouse something when you can get an Icy Dock adapter, which is great (I have 3), for $15?

annalivia

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
SSD adapter for even less $

This describes a DIY adapter for a 2'5 SSD mounting in a standard MacPro-bay.
Time: 20 minutes.
Cost: less to nothing
Level: if you can hold a drill you’ll succeed!

Details: leaves no permanent marks on your Mac or any accessories.
What you’ll need:

materials:
-aluminium sheet, 90 x 105 mm, thickness around 0.5 mm
This sheet material should be sturdy, but somehow flexible as well.
(I took mine from an old fridge-door…)
-2 bolts for the SSD (M3-size for the Samsung I was about to install)
-2 nuts and bolts M5 (for the MacPro-bay)

Tools:
-knife-cutter
-drill
-screwdriver

This how to:
Refer to the drawing below. This has a 5mm grid.

1. Cut the alu-sheet to size with the knife-cutter.

2. drill 2 holes 3.5m

3. drill 2 holes 5mm
Use a file to smooth any irregularities. Now keep your work area free from any aluminium particles messing up delicate electronics!

4. mount the SSD with the two M3 bolts.
(after you've seen the final result, you will understand you won't need the other 2 bolts)
Now you have your SSD-base ready.

Next:
5. Remove the bolts (and its rubbers) from the MacPro-bay
(the rubbers prevent vibration from a HDD-drive; SSD won't need this)

6. Fix the SSD-base to the MacPro-bay with two M5-nuts and bolts.
Align and fix, according to any other available HDD-bay from your Mac.

7. Now retract your SSD-bay carefully in your Mac. Don’t force!
When it doesn’t fit easily, try to re-align your SSD-base and try again.
Mine worked flawless at first attempt!

Attachments

• SSDplan.jpg
    SSDplan.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 877
  • SSDbay_top.jpg
    SSDbay_top.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 789
  • SSDbay_side.jpg
    SSDbay_side.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 808
  • SSDbay_under.jpg
    SSDbay_under.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 756
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.