Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iisdmitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Southern California
I recently picked up a Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2, it came with it's own software but I prefer Pro Tools. I just got Pro Tools 9 because it allows you to use non-mbox or maudio interfaces. My question is about panning. Does anyone know how to get the 2 to Pan left or right? Panning will not work in the software or on the mixer itself. It is probably something super simple but it's driving me nuts! I do not know all of the features of the Studio Live yet.

inf187

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
The Answer!!!

Hey I was just surfing forums trying to solve a different issue and saw yours so I thought I'd chime in. First of all, you need to set your Main Outputs to your 2trackL/R. Go to your universal controller>settings>WDM Setup. Check your output box if not checked. Now simply drag WDM 1 (Front Left) to studio live 2trackin L and WDM 2 (blah blah) to studiolive 2trackinr. On your studio live mixer you need to engage your firewire button under the knob labeled 2 track in in your master control section. Now In pro tools just set up your outputs to 2 track in L and R. Go to Setup>I/O>output tab> in audition paths and default paths select Studiolive 2trackL/R. Your all set from there!

lethalillness

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Long Island, New York
I've adopted this set up a few months ago. If you set up your i/o that you output individual tracks on separate channels in the mixer then you can use the mixers pans by easily selecting the channel and turning the pan. This will change the output on your main outs on the board (you will hear this post Pro Tools). Internally the channel will have to be a stereo channel in order to pan. So if you have a mono track it won't let you pan a channel which is why you won't see it in the mixer view.

If you don't have the i/o separated by channel nor know how to do it just let me know and I will upload an i/o file for you to import.

jonesdamisfit

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I've adopted this set up a few months ago. If you set up your i/o that you output individual tracks on separate channels in the mixer then you can use the mixers pans by easily selecting the channel and turning the pan. This will change the output on your main outs on the board (you will hear this post Pro Tools). Internally the channel will have to be a stereo channel in order to pan. So if you have a mono track it won't let you pan a channel which is why you won't see it in the mixer view.

If you don't have the i/o separated by channel nor know how to do it just let me know and I will upload an i/o file for you to import.

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but once I mix my session in SL with all of it's effects, how do I step by step rount them back into pro tools on individual tracks HELP

lethalillness

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Long Island, New York
I'm not sure if I should post this here, but once I mix my session in SL with all of it's effects, how do I step by step rount them back into pro tools on individual tracks HELP

You have to set the Universal Control Main Mix outs to specific channels, then set them in the PT I/O as well. And when you are ready to route back put the Main Mix in the input of a new channel. It's confusing but it makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.