Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Hi,

I'm trying to make a complete switch over to Apple. However, aspiring to one day be an information architect, how can I get away without using visio. Are there any clear advantages to using Visio, other than it is considered the defacto program in diagram creation. :(

Does it truely have something that omnigraffle can't own up to? :confused:

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've not found a lot of difference between them aside from price. But I find it easier to work on my Mac when I want to insert diagrams/images from other programs so I prefer Omnigraffle.

Visio Pro does a good job of converting files - my only problem is that where an image in Omnigraffle acts like a transparent gif, in Visio it tends to show up with a white square around it. No big deal and it's still clear what it is.

My suggestion would be to download Omnigraffle Pro or otherwise and play around with it. Omni will give you a free trial license so that you can try it all out and decide whether it's for you (that includes save/import/export functionality)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
It's been awhile since I've used Visio but OmniGraffle is superb and more than a worthy replacement. I always found Visio a little torturous and was delighted when I discovered OmniGraffle, it's an absolute gem. The Pro version will also allow you to import and export Visio XML files.

There are other options such as GraphViz or the cross platfrom ConceptDraw but none of them match up to OmniGraffle.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
Why is it then that most employers request Visio experience, if your going into information architecture? Is it just because it's the standard in the industry right now? :confused: Or is it because it really offers something that is beneficial.

If Omnigraffle can export to Visio, and if it can do the same things visio can do, only better, then why should I use visio?

Sorry, as you can tell I really don't want to use a PC anymore! :(

Applespider

macrumors G4
Probably because it's the industry standard and it's a good way of making sure that people understand the principles involved in the architecture.

To use Visio or Omnigraffle successfully, you must be able to transfer your mental picture into the appropriate diagrams in such a way that others can understand, using the correct symbols etc. You'd be amazed at how many people can't do that - or attempt to do flowcharts in Powerpoint or Word.

I know how to work in Visio. I barely thought about what to do using Omnigraffle. They're both basically drag and drop onto the drawing area and applying connectors etc - I'm not sure how different they are in terms of advanced features. I have found people at work wondering how I get some of the impressice colour effects and drop shadows in Visio though :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
triton said:
Why is it then that most employers request Visio experience, if your going into information architecture? Is it just because it's the standard in the industry right now? :confused: Or is it because it really offers something that is beneficial.

If Omnigraffle can export to Visio, and if it can do the same things visio can do, only better, then why should I use visio?

Sorry, as you can tell I really don't want to use a PC anymore! :(

Because unfortunately most employers don't realise there is an alternative - much like they think Word is the only wordprocessor.

As long as you deliver the work they won't much care what platform or app you use :)

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I have to use Viso at work, and it is by far the most diffcult program to use. Simple layout things, or simple drawing is such a hassle. I use omni for home/school and it is a blessing. It so easy and everything works. And it can work with viso(xml) files.

Omni graffel pro is worth the $100. Best diagraming program every.

triton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
So I suppose I should learn both *sigh*. I am able to jam in omnigraffle, but I really don't want to one day apply for one of these jobs, and they expect me to know visio. damn! :mad:

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
triton said:
So I suppose I should learn both *sigh*. I am able to jam in omnigraffle, but I really don't want to one day apply for one of these jobs, and they expect me to know visio. damn! :mad:

its pretty much a know one, know the other kinda app. if you know one you can sure briefly go over a trial copy of the other a state that you know it also. what's important is that fact that you know the type of software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.