Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doggies.20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Hi Guys,

I just received my Mophie Juice Pack Plus for my iPhone 4 today. I was wondering what is the best way to use this? Do I first make sure both devices are fully charged before connecting so that my Mophie battery is used first before the iPhone begins using its own battery?

OR

Do I use the iPhone battery first and then switch on the juice pack when the iPhone needs charging? I am a bit concerned about this method. Doesnt this just take up the charge cycles for the phone? Would it be better to use the first method to get rid of the Mophie battery first?

THANKS HEAPS.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
Hi Guys,

I just received my Mophie Juice Pack Plus for my iPhone 4 today. I was wondering what is the best way to use this? Do I first make sure both devices are fully charged before connecting so that my Mophie battery is used first before the iPhone begins using its own battery?

OR

Do I use the iPhone battery first and then switch on the juice pack when the iPhone needs charging? I am a bit concerned about this method. Doesnt this just take up the charge cycles for the phone? Would it be better to use the first method to get rid of the Mophie battery first?

THANKS HEAPS.

Not sure about others, but the way I used my battery pack was I would basically use my phone to 2 or 3 percent then start charging. Sometimes I would even go to 0 percent but then it takes a few minutes to turn on again. Basically I used it like I would a wall charger (which is use up all the battery before charging.) when it comes to charging the actual battery pack and phone, you can charge both at the same time. as to if your worried about using more cycles, don't be. If your using your phone that much anyways then you'd be charging it using the wall charger therefore there really isn't any way to get around it besides not using your phone so much. :)

Doggies.20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
hmm yeah your right. i just thought that by draining the juice pack first I could delay the need to charge my iPhone, which would reduce the amount of charge cycles used over time?

Thanks for your response :)

mophienick

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
We definitely recommend letting the iphone battery run down first, then charging it with the juice pack. You'll get the most charge if you don't use your phone while its charging. You can do it the other way, but this way you'll get the very most total life from both devices.

rickreiko

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
I've found an my experience with the Juice Pack Air, since December, that keeping it fully charged and using the Juice Pack battery actually lasts longer than draining the iPhone battery first.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Drain the Juice Pack 1st

Ideally you want the Juice Pack to always power your iPhone. The primary reason for that is not run time but iPhone battery service life. The service life of an always topped off iPhone Battery will be longer compared to one that is constantly discharged and recharged.

Last edited:

dstocker

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Mophie - lack of support

Beware, I spent my hard earned cash on an original Mophie battery, pruduct was/is defective. Sent week old receipt and serial number and they refused to honor warranty. Spend your money elsewhere.

therock1111

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
my mophie won't sync

Beware, I spent my hard earned cash on an original Mophie battery, pruduct was/is defective. Sent week old receipt and serial number and they refused to honor warranty. Spend your money elsewhere.

My mophie juice pack air won't sync... i have to take it out. I've tried switching it on and off to sync, but still gets error messages in itunes... anybody have luck syncing this thing?

Celos

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Syncing

I bought a juice pack plus recently and the first one was defective (the dock connector was flaky and it kept disconnecting and reconnecting); mophie replaced it no questions asked.

My second one seems to work fine in the two days that I've had it.

Regarding syncing, the first one had the troubles you're describing with iTunes errors and intermittent connection problems, particularly that it would disconnect partway through a sync. My new one will sync fine in iTunes, as long as I plug the cable directly into my Mac. I have a USB 'extension cord' that I use for USB drives, my dock cable and other random things that I need to connect. It's worked with everything I've ever thrown at it except the juice pack plus.

The juice pack will charge when plugged into the extension cable, but iTunes doesn't see it at all. The Mac doesn't even mount it. If I plug it directly into the USB port on the Mac it syncs fine. I haven't tried non-mophie USB cables with a micro connector, but hopefully that will work as well, since I keep a small micro-USB cable in my laptop bag and don't want to have to haul the mophie cable around if I can avoid it.

How many full charges of your iPhone are other juice pack plus users getting from a full juice pack? I ran my iPhone down to the point that it shut down today, and a full juice pack was basically depleted charging the iPhone back up to 100%. That makes some level of sense given the size of the juice pack battery as compared to the iPhone battery, but just wondering.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.