Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
You could pull it out.

Why does it matter what "brand" it is? Buying the same brand ram (provided you can actually find it) wont make any difference.

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
just take them out and take a look at the sticker on the ram. ram slot is the easiest disassembling on the iMac.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
First note that the brand is not necessarily the same as the manufacturer. Some brands may use more than one manufacturer.

That being said, if you go into the System Profiler and check your memory, each filled memory slot will have a manufacturer code.

A partial list of these Vendor ID Codes:
  • 0x014F - Transcend Information
  • 0x2C00—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x802C—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x80AD—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0x80CE—Samsung Electronics, Inc.
  • 0xAD00—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0xCE00—Samsung Electronics, Inc.

My system has memory made by 0x802C and 0x80CE. One came with the system, the other came from Crucial. WIthout pulling the machine apart to check memory slotting, I'm fairly sure the system came with the Samsung memory and the Crucial labeled memory is made by Micron.

Edit: If it's a new Mac, it should be "Apple" memory, but as stated above, you would need to check the actual manufacturer using the System Profiler.

Last edited:

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
First note that the brand is not necessarily the same as the manufacturer. Some brands may use more than one manufacturer.

That being said, if you go into the System Profiler and check your memory, each filled memory slot will have a manufacturer code.

A partial list of these Vendor ID Codes:
  • 0x014F - Transcend Information
  • 0x2C00—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x802C—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x80AD—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0x80CE—Samsung Electronics, Inc.
  • 0xAD00—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0xCE00—Samsung Electronics, Inc.

My system has memory made by 0x802C and 0x80CE. One came with the system, the other came from Crucial. WIthout pulling the machine apart to check memory slotting, I'm fairly sure the system came with the Samsung memory and the Crucial labeled memory is made by Micron.

Edit: If it's a new Mac, it should be "Apple" memory, but as stated above, you would need to check the actual manufacturer using the System Profiler.

Mine is 0x02FE...so who is the manufacturer?

swabofcotton

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
South Korea
I'm not trying to revive a dead thread but I thought if it helps at least one other person...
I really had my mind set on trying to find what ram I had without opening my MacBook until I have to.

If you look at "system information" > "memory", you should see the ram slots (whether occupied or not) in your computer. Select the one you'd like to find out the part number to, go down and copy "Part Number"
Mine was:
0x4D34373142314737334248302D434B302020

Exclude the 0x and space it out every two characters.
like this:
4D 34 37 31 42 31 47 37 33 42 48 30 2D 43 4B 30 20 20

If you know hexadecimal, have at it. If not, I found a hex to text converter online and it spit out an actual part number I can search.

M471B1G73BH0-CK0

I was able to find the exact ram module installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.