Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hello all, and apologies that my first post is asking for assistance!

I've had my MacBook for about 3 1/2 months (purchased in February 2011) and I have long been a PC bod. I bought the MacBook for developing on iOS and now I have a problem,

Whenever I boot it up, the in-built keyboard seemingly acts as though the Command key is permanently pressed. For example, if I open Google Chrome and start typing anything in the address bar (let's use "P" for this example), I am presented with the Print dialogue. Similarly, clicking any of the application icons in the Dock presents the Applications folder in Finder.

I've read on this Forum and others that this is a fairly common error. However, what is odd that most examples I've seen indicate that when viewing the onscreen keyboard, the "Command" buttons are greyed, indicating they're pressed. However, this is not the case on my MacBook - looking at the on-screen keyboard everything appears to be in order. I've tried attaching a USB PC keyboard, and all is well.

Most of the solutions to this problem (including Apple's own Technical Support guys) tell me to clear the PRAM using the Cmd-Opt-P-R key combo before boot. However, it seems that I'm unable to do this because of the underlying keyboard fault (no matter how many times I try, the system always boots without restarting as it should).

I'm going away to a conference in France on Friday and really need to take the Mac along to exhibit our work so far. My question is this: short of returning the MacBook to a Mac Store for a service (the nearest one is ~ 150 miles from where I live), or sending it off for repair, is there anything at all I can do to solve the problem (of course, plugging in a USB keyboard works, but isn't ideal)? For example, is it possible to use the USB PC keyboard to clear the PRAM, and if so what does the shortcut translate to?

Any help at all would be most gratefully received indeed.

Regards,
Ben.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
This is most likely a hardware fault in the keyboard itself, so no amount of resetting the PRAM is likely to make a difference. The alternative to sending it to Apple is replacing the top case yourself, but considering the machine is under warranty, and the part isn't cheap, you really shouldn't be doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.