Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I hear that Front Row is missing from Lion (or at least the DPs). This is a big deal for me since I use it a lot to listen to music when my MacBook is connected to speakers on the other side of the room.

Is anyone able to confirm whether moving Front Row.app across from Snow Leopard works on Lion?

I am hoping the only reason it is missing in the DPs because Apple will unveil a worthy replacement for it at WWDC, like a revamped version which offers features from the Apple TV 2, or is integrated into iTunes or something.

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Front Row is missing. As far as I know, the app from Snow Leopard won't work on Lion because of all the frameworks and other files attached to Front Row.

It's certainly possible that Apple will still bring back something like Front Row before Lion is released to the public, but I just don't see it happening.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

JTToft said:
Why are you using Front Row instead of iTunes to listen to music?

Because you can't read iTunes from 5 meters away. You can't browse music with the remote in iTunes, let alone from 5 meters.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Because you can't read iTunes from 5 meters away. You can't browse music with the remote in iTunes, let alone from 5 meters.

- I can see that. But I would probably just use the Remote app on my iPhone to control iTunes - that way you don't even have to look at the computer. But if you don't have an iPhone (or similar device) then that is, of course, not an option.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have any iOS device you can browse your entire library with the Remote app.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I do have an iPhone, I just appreciate the simplicity of using the remote with front row. There's nothing extra to turn on, set up, charge etc.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
The remote app is incredible in my opinion, I use it all the time while playing fullscreen games. But while cleaning my room (wet hands) or other such jobs, an iPhone (or whatever iDevice) is just less handy.
Also watching DVD's or shows is nice with front row, no distractions. I've been hoping they would increase the amount of supported formats, but for now they just delete the whole app… Hope it returns.

Ow, and showing people Front Row on a 27 inch iMac makes them drop their jaws :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I used Front Row for previewing upcoming movies. So convenient and organized. Why the hell did they have to get rid of it??? Stupid move. :mad::mad::mad:

Not really. The successor to the original Front Row software is the Apple TV software, which is now ported to the ARM/iOS architecture. Apple hasn't updated Front Row for Mac (other than the occasional security fix) since 2007. The last three revisions of the "Front Row" software weren't even ported to the Mac. They were released solely on the Apple TV.

Development on Front Row for Mac has been dead for awhile. Makes sense to pull it 10.7 Lion. It'll join Sherlock, Inkwell, Classic, Apple MP3 Player and all the other dead OS X projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row_(software)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV#Software

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not really. The successor to the original Front Row software is the Apple TV software, which is now ported to the ARM/iOS architecture. Apple hasn't updated Front Row for Mac (other than the occasional security fix) since 2007. The last three revisions of the "Front Row" software weren't even ported to the Mac. They were released solely on the Apple TV.

Development on Front Row for Mac has been dead for awhile. Makes sense to pull it 10.7 Lion. It'll join Sherlock, Inkwell, Classic, Apple MP3 Player and all the other dead OS X projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row_(software)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV#Software

Don't forgot iSync.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have an Apple TV as well, but AirPlay is unreliable for me - you won't be able to get through a whole song without the audio cutting out for a few seconds, and sometimes my devices completely fail to detect it.

I still think anything which requires additional hardware beyond a MacBook and remote is a big step backwards, so assuming Lion ships without Front Row, I will have to try Plex.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Problems streaming to your ATV2 are most likely network problems (your router). Run Ethernet cables to both the ATV2 and your Mac and see if your problems go away.
A good 802.11n simultaneous dual band router like the WNDR3700 works flawlessly for me.
Of course if your ATV2 is jailbroken and you're playing who knows what video format through it well that's also going to be very hit and miss.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Problems streaming to your ATV2 are most likely network problems (your router). Run Ethernet cables to both the ATV2 and your Mac and see if your problems go away.
A good 802.11n simultaneous dual band router like the WNDR3700 works flawlessly for me.
Of course if your ATV2 is jailbroken and you're playing who knows what video format through it well that's also going to be very hit and miss.

I appreciate the help but I have just resigned myself to not being able to get it to work.

I live in a 150 year old house with very thick walls on a busy street where you pick up about 50 wireless networks whenever you scan. I have tried AirPlay from my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook to my Apple TV and airport expresses and they all cut out.

I spent three hours on the phone to AppleCare and we eventually concluded that the problem was wireless interference. My router is a time capsule so I don't think the problem is going to be because of a crappy router. My ATV is not jailbroken, and the only files I play are iTunes music files (video just doesn't work at all).

To give you an idea of how badly the connection suffers because of all the interference my internet connection is 50Mb, and I achieve this with over ethernet, but as soon as I go 25ft to another room the wireless speed drops, often below 1Mb.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Yeah, FrontRow so much better in Tiger. The synchronisation with iTunes was brilliant. And the cool transition visuals :D.

Once SL was released, videos played in FR never updated play counts in iTunes. I still like using FR to watch videos on my Samsung monitor so I still use FR for that because i can read the screen from anywhere in the room like someone mentioned above.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Once SL was released, videos played in FR never updated play counts in iTunes. I still like using FR to watch videos on my Samsung monitor so I still use FR for that because i can read the screen from anywhere in the room like someone mentioned above.

I used to use it quite a bit back with Tiger, but I haven't much since. My main problem is the pref hacks that need to be done to get it to run on an external display (such as my TV) when mirroring is turned off. That and the fact that I kept on hitting cmd+esc instead of cmd+` when wanting to switch app windows, so I turned cmd+esc off. Hence, I have to actually now click on the FR app in Applications to open it and that's a hassle. It's easier just to open stuff in QT Player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.