Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh Mann

macrumors member
Excatly! I have yet to see a picture of the iPad 2 where the light bleeding is visible in normal conditions. All picures are in the dark, on a black backgrund with light at 100 %.
Then you have not read this entire thread or you are generalizing.

There have been many posts with pictures of iPads in normal brightness/normal conditions, not just full brightness/black rooms.

I myself have had two ipads where the bleed could be seen under normal conditions in my living room, the place I'm most likely to use it. I had a vendor here and his iPad was perfect under the same conditions. So I know first hand that defect-free ipads do exist.

The quickest way I've used to test the iPad is to go to settings, set the brightness (again I'm not in a dark closet room, but my living room), while still in the settings, select the wallpaper and select the Earth image since it has black all around it. Then I can easily switch back to the brightness settings and change it back to around 50% and check the image. I've also checked the image that is grayish and is a repeating pattern. If I can see the bleed with those two images, then to me that is unsatisfactory.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Hm, could you post a picture? I am just a bit curious how many of these cases are people overreacting and how many are a genuine problem. I think this has gotten a bit out of hand (at least in this thread). Probably some cases ARE too much, but many of those complaining here simply have light bleeding similar to how it is in many other devices. Not great that it is like that but hardly something worth exchanging 7 or 8 times...:eek:

Just to reiterate: if it's not a problem in normal usage, then it's not a problem. And I would not consider being able to see small spots of light in the black bars of a 16:9 movies a problem...a small nuisance perhaps, but not something worth the hassle of exchanging the device that many times. I am surprised Apple allows it actually. They should simply offer the customers their money back - but not keep exchanging it. Of course, the customers could just keep buying new iPads then, I guess, so maybe it doesn't matter for them.

There are pictures all throughout this thread at 50 and 100 percent.

Who are you to tell people they are being obsessive? Especially since you clearly didn't even bother to read through the entire thread before spewing your opinion.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

^typical trolling

user512

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
new additions: L-(X-hoanganh-bad) Q-(X-spazer-bad) P-(X-aeiron-bad) F-(X-aerion2-bad) N-(6-Jay858-bad) D-(X-Jay858-bad) K-(X-andrew.danney-bad) C-(X-TheMarkness-bad) P-(X-TheMarkness-bad) M-(6-head_honcho_123-OK) M-(X-HardLuckStories-bad) F-(X-HardLuckStories-bad) Q-(6-Extract0r-bad) K-(X-bpd115-OK) Q-(6-Extract0r-bad) R-(X-Macdude2010-bad)

Read it as: week-(factory-user-condition).

---

iPad2 BACKLIGHT BLEEDING issue from forum reports:

7 week 07 (seems none manufactured before week 7, well maybe... (X-stevejobs-OK))

8 week 08 (X-xaldafax-OK)

9 week 09 (X-jps1012-OK)

C week 10 (X-TheMarkness-bad)

D week 11 (X-danito85-bad) (X-thisisfunah-bad) (X-Jay858-bad)

F week 12 (X-mvp2206-bad) (X-KevinM2-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad) (X-Hello-bad) (X-aerion-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad)

G week 13 (X-kiko-OK) (X-roflc0pter-bad)

H week 14

J week 15 (X-ClairebearZac-OK) (X-boraxatude-bad)

K week 16 (X-nickbarbs-OK) (X-sword28-OK) (T-hughmann-bad) (T-jaikob-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-hughmannVendor-OK) (X-chinit0-bad) (X-Satdude-bad) (X-jbud72-OK) (X-bcterp-OK) (X-andrew.danney-bad) (X-bpd115-OK)

L week 17 (X-Tobster3-bad) (6-tehstk-bad) (6-gkarris-bad) (X-hoanganh-bad)

M week 18 (6-ryxsolo-bad) (X-Jrfowlessc-bad) (6-blarivee-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (X-iSamurai-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-OK) (X-BearsFan34-OK) (X-vicenturri-bad) (X-pinkmechanic-bad) (6-jrolson-bad) (6-headhoncho123-OK) (6-head_honcho_123-OK) (X-HardLuckStories-bad)

N week 19 (T-hughmann-bad) (X-RossMc-OK) (6-jogales-bad) (6-awjvail-bad) (6-catalyst6-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (6-Clusty-bad) (X-jason910-OK) (6-doubledown7d-bad) (6-tYNS-bad) (6-Jay858-bad)

P week 20 (X-alexwai-bad) (X-dquek123-bad) (X-chaicka-OK) (X-ryxsolo-OK) (X-Tobster3-OK) (X-catalyst6-bad) (X-gusnyc-bad) (6-smokingmonkey-bad) (X-corvus32-bad) (X-satdude-OK) (6-catalyst6-OK) (P-bcterp-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r2-bad) (P-blarivee-bad) (6-syclick-bad) (6-Hardway-bad) P-(X-HoriZonUK-bad) (X-teatang-bad) (X-aeiron-bad) (X-TheMarkness-bad)

Q week 21 (X-corvus32-bad) (X-GadgedtAddicted-OK) (X-spazer-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad)
R week 22 (X-Macdude2010-bad)
T week 23
V week 24
W week 25
X week 26
Y week 27

(*) X-user-bad, means 'X' is factory DLX, '6' is factory DL6, 'T' for factory DQT and 'P' for factory DMP, all taken from the first 3 of the serial.
(**) 4th character is half of the year. Will be 'F' for first, 'G' for second half.
(***) 5th character is week of manufacturing from previous table.

ps.- If your serial# starts with DLXFP. You have an iPad2 made at (DLX) factory, is made in the first half of the year (F) and on week 20 (P)
ps2.- post your first 5 characters of your serial and if you have a good backlight or the bleeding problem.
ps3.- any error in the table?, let me know.

Jay858

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Wow just unbelievable Apple your QC standards has just gone out the window.
I know it's not Apple, just the screen supplier that is causing this issue.
DXLFQ 5/29 BB 64gb 3G
I didn't even sync it yet to activate it and already I can count at least 4 leaks and 1 major one on the right side almost middle way down.
I hate dealing with the genius bar and end up with a refurbished, "like new", "I never heard of this problem" or the famous "I can only exchange out this one time for this problem."

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Wow just unbelievable Apple your QC standards has just gone out the window.
I know it's not Apple, just the screen supplier that is causing this issue.
DXLFQ 5/29 BB 64gb 3G
I didn't even sync it yet to activate it and already I can count at least 4 leaks and 1 major one on the right side almost middle way down.
I hate dealing with the genius bar and end up with a refurbished, "like new", "I never heard of this problem" or the famous "I can only exchange out this one time for this problem."

Funny becuase I just picked up a Best Buy 64GB 3G (AT&T) today also, serial is DLXFR, the bleed is a lot better then my wifi 64GB (DLXFJ) but it still has enough for me to try to exchange in a few months. I don't really care if it is a refurb, as long as it has no defects I have about. On my current one it has a few spots near the home button and that's it, much better, but I still want a near perfect one.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
new additions: L-(X-hoanganh-bad) Q-(X-spazer-bad) P-(X-aeiron-bad) F-(X-aerion2-bad) N-(6-Jay858-bad) D-(X-Jay858-bad) K-(X-andrew.danney-bad) C-(X-TheMarkness-bad) P-(X-TheMarkness-bad) M-(6-head_honcho_123-OK) M-(X-HardLuckStories-bad) F-(X-HardLuckStories-bad) Q-(6-Extract0r-bad) K-(X-bpd115-OK) Q-(6-Extract0r-bad) R-(X-Macdude2010-bad)

The iPad 2 that I bought & returned last Thursday (from BestBuy), which had bad light leak was a DLXF8. :(

8-(X-SPEEDwithJJ-bad)

Last edited:

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Then you have not read this entire thread or you are generalizing.

OK, you got me, I have not. It IS 132 pages long! :p
Still, I have seen MANY pictures, though, and they have all been in the dark with something looking much like 100 % brightness.
Actually, the difference between 50 and 100 % is not THAT big, I think. In normal usage I would NEVER have the brightness at 50 % either, but maybe that's just me. Unless I am in a VERY bright environment, I would never have it at more than 25-30 % tops.

There are pictures all throughout this thread at 50 and 100 percent.

Who are you to tell people they are being obsessive? Especially since you clearly didn't even bother to read through the entire thread before spewing your opinion.
Could you link to these pictures (if you remember where they are)?

Look, I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just stating MY opinion. And I DID say that somehow I do understand and sympathize.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Still, I have seen MANY pictures, though, and they have all been in the dark with something looking much like 100 % brightness.
Actually, the difference between 50 and 100 % is not THAT big, I think. In normal usage I would NEVER have the brightness at 50 % either, but maybe that's just me. Unless I am in a VERY bright environment, I would never have it at more than 25-30 % tops.

Look, I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just stating MY opinion. And I DID say that somehow I do understand and sympathize.

They are THROUGHOUT this thread. Do your own research. We've already spent too much time answering somebody who obviously refuses to read the entire thread before making incorrect statements.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
They are THROUGHOUT this thread. Do your own research. We've already spent too much time answering somebody who obviously refuses to read the entire thread before making incorrect statements.

Not really. We are talking about pictures where the iPad is used under NORMAL conditions, remember. I know there are tons of images of it in the darkness (a use case in which you can find light bleed in MANY LCDs). I just checked my TV the other day and it has significant light bleed, for instance.

But I guess it IS none of my business how many times people want to replace their iPads. I am just trying to make maybe some people see that in most cases, it really is not a problem.
Why do you guys think this has had NO attention in the media for instance?

Again, I DO agree that this is NOT good enough. And the problem IS worse on the iPad than in many other devices, and that is disappointing. But sometimes you just have to pick your fights. Do you really want to keep replacing it and spending precious time and energy on such a problem or might it not be better to either accept it or simply return it for a refund?

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Not really. We are talking about pictures where the iPad is used under NORMAL conditions, remember. I know there are tons of images of it in the darkness (a use case in which you can find light bleed in MANY LCDs). I just checked my TV the other day and it has significant light bleed, for instance.

But I guess it IS none of my business how many times people want to replace their iPads. I am just trying to make maybe some people see that in most cases, it really is not a problem.
Why do you guys think this has had NO attention in the media for instance?

Again, I DO agree that this is NOT good enough. And the problem IS worse on the iPad than in many other devices, and that is disappointing. But sometimes you just have to pick your fights. Do you really want to keep replacing it and spending precious time and energy on such a problem or might it not be better to either accept it or simply return it for a refund?

I do things during the day time. I'm not always sitting at home playing angry birds on my iPad. Most of the time when I use it is at night, sitting in front of my tv or computer monitor, in the dark. My computer room, in my basement, is also dark with only 2 windows. I guess when you use it out only in the day time and then go to bed at 9pm you don't really notice the bleed. That, I can understand. Universally, not everyone can use this in ideal light settings. Not everyone is aloud to bring an iPad to work so they can play with it, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone who owns one doesn't make it a thing to only use it during a certain time of day. Thats just ridiculous. I'm sure people who babysit don't want a light on while a child is trying to sleep. You gotta think outside the box. You're in this narrow little way of thinking. If you don't encounter this viewing issue, surely everyone who does is using it wrong, am i right? i mean its pretty evident you're challenging everyone to prove that it bleeds or its defective when all you have to do is try a couple random clicks in the pages. It's not that hard, and if you're really interested in the answers to all your questions, they've been answered numerous times throughout this thread alone and directly addressed to people like you who still believe this is a non-issue just because you don't experience the flaw. I understand that you are concerned about how people spend their time. Most people have that mentality that after a while they'll move on or they'll just settle, its pretty much self explanatory

If I had to explain how annoying it is, I'd say it's like watching a black and white movie and having a red spot just off in the left hand corner and maybe up on the top right corner of the screen. Yeah, it doesn't mess with what you're doing, but usually your eye will gravitate the that area, thus, disrupting what you're doing or watching. also it sucks in an airplane cabin. and watching horror movies...and playing dead space...and running logmein...and sitting next to my son while he sleeps as i watch youtube videos...theres a lot of instances i can think of where i'll see it and from most of my experiences with iPads during launch were pretty troublesome. I can say, however, that the one i ordered and received early this week is pretty darn good. I am satisfied now. But when they give, you gotta take. Good screen...dent on back. thanks apple. thanks.

Here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1114606/

Last edited:

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Well I was unlucky enough to have quite a bad one on the first attempt, though not as bad as some of them I have seen in this thread and elsewhere. Had a dodgy rear camera to boot. The second one still has a little bit but I am satisfied all the same. It is minor to the point that I have to really be looking hard even on black screen in low lighting. 100% brightness is not something I use anyway but this does not make it all that much more noticeable as the increased brightness swamps what little bleed there is.

I do think mmo has a point though. I am not going to preach to anyone just how much bleed they should accept but I have seen some people clearly state that they expect perfection, which is probably not realistic on any current consumer LCD panel. For me personally, the threshold is if it is visible under normal operating conditions without having to strain my eyes to look for it. And yes, this does extend to uses that have black areas of the screen, such as video playback, and in low lighting.

Unless you already have a lot invested in app store purchases and suchlike, I do also have to question whether it is worth the hassle of repeated exchanges, if it is resulting in a seriously unsatisfactory user experience on so many examples of it. I am pretty sure that some people here would have sent the one I am typing this on back as well but for me it is not worth taking so much time out of my life over.

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
iPad2 BACKLIGHT BLEEDING issue from forum reports:

7 week 07 (seems none manufactured before week 7, well maybe... (X-stevejobs-OK))

8 week 08 (X-xaldafax-OK)

9 week 09 (X-jps1012-OK)

C week 10 (X-TheMarkness-bad)

D week 11 (X-danito85-bad) (X-thisisfunah-bad) (X-Jay858-bad)

F week 12 (X-mvp2206-bad) (X-KevinM2-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad) (X-Hello-bad) (X-aerion-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad)

G week 13 (X-kiko-OK) (X-roflc0pter-bad)

H week 14

J week 15 (X-ClairebearZac-OK) (X-boraxatude-bad)

K week 16 (X-nickbarbs-OK) (X-sword28-OK) (T-hughmann-bad) (T-jaikob-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-hughmannVendor-OK) (X-chinit0-bad) (X-Satdude-bad) (X-jbud72-OK) (X-bcterp-OK) (X-andrew.danney-bad) (X-bpd115-OK)

L week 17 (X-Tobster3-bad) (6-tehstk-bad) (6-gkarris-bad) (X-hoanganh-bad)

M week 18 (6-ryxsolo-bad) (X-Jrfowlessc-bad) (6-blarivee-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (X-iSamurai-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-OK) (X-BearsFan34-OK) (X-vicenturri-bad) (X-pinkmechanic-bad) (6-jrolson-bad) (6-headhoncho123-OK) (6-head_honcho_123-OK) (X-HardLuckStories-bad)

N week 19 (T-hughmann-bad) (X-RossMc-OK) (6-jogales-bad) (6-awjvail-bad) (6-catalyst6-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (6-Clusty-bad) (X-jason910-OK) (6-doubledown7d-bad) (6-tYNS-bad) (6-Jay858-bad)

P week 20 (X-alexwai-bad) (X-dquek123-bad) (X-chaicka-OK) (X-ryxsolo-OK) (X-Tobster3-OK) (X-catalyst6-bad) (X-gusnyc-bad) (6-smokingmonkey-bad) (X-corvus32-bad) (X-satdude-OK) (6-catalyst6-OK) (P-bcterp-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r2-bad) (P-blarivee-bad) (6-syclick-bad) (6-Hardway-bad) P-(X-HoriZonUK-bad) (X-teatang-bad) (X-aeiron-bad) (X-TheMarkness-bad)

Q week 21 (X-corvus32-bad) (X-GadgedtAddicted-OK) (X-spazer-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad)
R week 22 (X-Macdude2010-bad)
T week 23
V week 24
W week 25
X week 26
Y week 27

From this table, I don't think that they really solved the issue. The good ones is just random, and if u're lucky, u'll get one without bleed

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
I do things during the day time. I'm not always sitting at home playing angry birds on my iPad. Most of the time when I use it is at night, sitting in front of my tv or computer monitor, in the dark. My computer room, in my basement, is also dark with only 2 windows. I guess when you use it out only in the day time and then go to bed at 9pm you don't really notice the bleed. That, I can understand. Universally, not everyone can use this in ideal light settings. Not everyone is aloud to bring an iPad to work so they can play with it, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone who owns one doesn't make it a thing to only use it during a certain time of day.
I am not dictating how people should use their iPad. But a part of my point was that you never need the brightness intensities, that people post their pictures in, in normal usage. Your example for instance: if you are using it in the dark, why would you EVER need more than maybe 25 % brightness? That's just painful. But again: if there IS significant bleeding at that intensity in the dark, then I think a replacement is in order (and no, just being able to barely make it out is not significant).
I think there are lots of cases where people demand total perfection and just sit and look for the problem. BUT there are also cases where it IS a problem and these should be replaced of course.

Thanks for taking the time to find these. I didn't see many in normal lighting at realistic brightness settings though.

I do think mmo has a point though. I am not going to preach to anyone just how much bleed they should accept but I have seen some people clearly state that they expect perfection, which is probably not realistic on any current consumer LCD panel. For me personally, the threshold is if it is visible under normal operating conditions without having to strain my eyes to look for it. And yes, this does extend to uses that have black areas of the screen, such as video playback, and in low lighting.

Unless you already have a lot invested in app store purchases and suchlike, I do also have to question whether it is worth the hassle of repeated exchanges, if it is resulting in a seriously unsatisfactory user experience on so many examples of it. I am pretty sure that some people here would have sent the one I am typing this on back as well but for me it is not worth taking so much time out of my life over.

Exactly. Thank you.

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
This thread is about the bleeding panels of the iPad 2

What is the point of coming into this thread and derailing it?

Apple has advertised and marketed their magical device as the highest quality on the market, in addition, they stuff out dated 1024x768 ips panels into them. This isn't even market standard any more all honeycomb tablets are serving actual HD ( the iPad isn't HD). Ok I am fine with that because I want in on Apples ecosystem. And I'll even pay a premium for apples apps.

Then I get my magical iPad and fire it up and find literally random splotches of milky light on any background that's black, when viewing pictures, watching dark scenes in movies and on the bars above and below movies that spill into the film often, when playing video games

I mean honestly if you see some of the screens that I have gone through apple is taking the piss making us accept sub par quality in low resolution screens to top it off

If you want to accept it fine. Drink the kool aid. Don't pretend like this is normal and people should accept it.

Took me five returns but I got a LCD screen with no splotches and uniform backlight. You know like I would expect for a market leading 660£ device.

This thread is a testament to Apples weakening product quality . Hopefully it's existence will force action. But don't pretend it's not real, iPads with splotchy backlights, dents and dings and scratches on the back from factory, bright and stuck pixels, this is a joke, if you can accept this quality from Apple, then they will need complacent customers like you in the future to provide revenue for their operations while samsung mops up the market.

Until apple allows refunds of apps with the devices, keep exchanging them until you get a new one and stick it to them. Or just get a refund.

Good luck to those of you still trying for a perfect screen.

Last edited:

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008

Apple has advertised and marketed their magical device as the highest quality on the market, in addition, they stuff out dated 1024x768 ips panels into them. This isn't even market standard any more all honeycomb tablets are serving actual HD ( the iPad isn't HD). Ok I am fine with that because I want in on Apples ecosystem. And I'll even pay a premium for apples apps.

Then I get my magical iPad and fire it up and find literally random splotches of milky light on any background that's black, when viewing pictures, watching dark scenes in movies and on the bars above and below movies that spill into the film often, when playing video games

I mean honestly if you see some of the screens that I have gone through apple is taking the piss making us accept sub par quality in low resolution screens to top it off

If you want to accept it fine. Drink the kool aid. Don't pretend like this is normal and people should accept it.

Took me five returns but I got a LCD screen with no splotches and uniform backlight. You know like I would expect for a market leading 660£ device.

This thread is a testament to Apples weakening product quality . Hopefully it's existence will force action. But don't pretend it's not real, iPads with splotchy backlights, dents and dings and scratches on the back from factory, bright and stuck pixels, this is a joke, if you can accept this quality from Apple, then they will need complacent customers like you in the future to provide revenue for their operations while samsung mops up the market.

Until apple allows refunds of apps with the devices, keep exchanging them until you get a new one and stick it to them. Or just get a refund.

EDIT: As mentioned by the poster below, it is a bit strange to accuse me of derailing the thread.
I AM talking about iPad 2 light bleeding. If I am derailing anything, it's simply the one sided opinion in here that ANY kind of light bleed is unacceptable.

I can't really comment on the screens you mention, don't know enough about that. I DO know that backlight bleeding is not exactly uncommon in other devices, though.
I simply tried to offer a slightly less gloomy perspective on the whole thing. But I accept that people are not happy with it.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
At least one thing is for sure.
In a few years time we will all look back and be saying, oh remember way back when Apple launched the iPad2 and all those terrible backlight problems.

Thanks god that's in the past now, and such things are not going to happen again now we've move onto these "X" panels.

It's strange that the people who blindly stand up for Apple are the very ones that are stopping better products coming onto the market. And yet, these people just cannot see what they are doing.

If Apple produced these screens, and not 1 person complained about backlight bleeding, dead pixels, dust or anything. What do you think they would do?
There would be zero reason for any improvement, in fact it would only back Apple's view that customers are happy to accept cheaper and cheaper components and no need to invest in any better technology or better quality control methods.

By customers complaining, sending iPads back. Complaining to Apple staff who will pass feedback to Apple etc etc. They will improve their product and improve quality control as this is costing them money, time and trouble.

And yet, these people (customers) who ARE making the most noise, and are, in effect going to cause Apple to make better future products are the people the Loyalists are moaning at. When in fact they should be down on their knees thanking them, for making sure future products are better for everyone.

Funny isn't it.

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011

Funny, I know I am new around here but I have not seen anyone derail it. Discussion of the level of backlight bleed that should be accepted certainly seems to be relevant to the discussion. If your vote is for "none whatsoever", that is your prerogative and I shall not dispute it, even if I cannot fully agree with it.

I have to admit I do find it a little bit of a low res for the size, though I would only say it is a big deal when I am holding it quite close and reading smallish text (which I do quite a bit btw in the Kindle app). I suspect the main reasons they kept the same size are a combination of cost and R&D, as well as the desire to keep the same res so that existing apps can run in their native res without scaling or borders. This, from what I gather, is one of the problems Android apps have running on high res tablets.

I would be curious to know which Android device you would point to though that has a clearly, unambiguously better viewing experience overall. I have not had the luxury of handling many but the Xoom, for example, I can agree with some critics in that it looks washed out in comparison. The Asus certainly looks nice in videos, though I have seen reports of bleeding on those as well. Resolution counts for a lot but there is more to a display than that.

Then if it is as bad as you say, you have every right to be seriously dis-satisfied. I am still inclined to believe that the typical quality is somewhat better though, given the relative silence of the mainstream media on this issue.

If you want to accept it fine. Drink the kook aid. Don't pretend like this is normal and people should accept it.

I certainly would not accept the level of defects you described above. I consider my first one to be just on the wrong side of borderline and it did take me a while to decide it was not good enough. I have no intention of suggesting that people should accept blatantly dodgy displays. However, I have seen at least one example of someone reporting that theirs was fine, only for some other person to say that they should take it into a dark room, put something black on the screen and crank up the brightness. This may possibly be a small minority who are so hardcore about it but it seems like some people will not even let others be happy with their purchase. That they have to find some fault with it even if not already apparent.

Now I have to admit, I do take issue a little with using the higher end models pricing to state what can be expected of the screen. It is exactly the same as in the £399 model. Are they entitled to a poorer quality screen, just because you went for a higher spec model? If you paid more than the baseline price, that covers the cost of extra storage and possibly 3G, not a better display.

What this thread is not testament to, however, is the general level of quality of this product. What actual percentage of them have been returned for this issue, I suspect we will never know. Apple seem to be downplaying it but it could be quite a high percentage for all I know. It is just a little difficult to believe that reviewers and average users choosing to comment on the quality of it (not all of whom are going to be Apple fanboys) would be so silent on obvious defects, as some of the pictures clearly show. If they are really that bad, I would expect rather more people to be up in arms about them.

I am in no way arguing against people's rights to return faulty products and some of them are just that. Faulty. I had one myself. I have seen and acknowledge that there are many others. This does not change the fact that some people appear to be putting too much weight on how it looks in blatantly artificial conditions.

Good luck indeed. I suspect true perfection will elude most people, but I certainly hope everyone who wants one will eventually get a screen that is satisfactory.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I would really REALLY love to have a chat to some of the people who were using demo iPad2's in the weeks before launch.

They must have known about the blacklight splodges, and reported them back in their write-ups / around the table meetings about their findings of the device, before they pressed the button to start the massive production lines.

I've love to know the types of discussions that went on, how many of them said they were not happy and the decisions they made to go ahead.

Someone VERY high up obviously said, right, we're going to deem this as "OK" and run with it, I have read your findings and listened to what you say, but it's "good enough" in my opinion, so start making them.

I know there will be a few of them, saying, well, we told them, and they just would not listen.

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
By the way, I want to pre-emptively apologise if I am coming across as overly confrontational. I is not my intent.

The main point that I do want to remind anyone who might have forgotten it though, is that this is not a black and White issue. There are a range of standards that people are willing to accept, few of which can be said to be right or wrong. I've already made my threshold known, which I think is a reasonable one. My personal opinion is that seeking perfection in unrealistic operating conditions is both futile and pointless, but just about anything else is fair game for as many swaps as it takes or until you get sick of the product completely.

The reason this does not seem to have become such a huge issue for Apple though, I suspect is because the general level of quality is perfectly acceptable to the average user. If they were mostly as bad as some of the worst pictures shown here, I really doubt this would be the case.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008

Sorry about my ignorance, but do the photos in the following links count as turning on the iPad 2 under "normal" &/or low-light conditions? :confused:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12123746/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12136716/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12161873/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12315743/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12351044/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12475501/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12563688/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12581149/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12601395/

Below is a really bad one, with different colored backlights on different parts of the screen:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12179155/

Last edited:

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Eww, some of those are downright nasty. One or two of the less offensive ones look similar to my first one.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I would really REALLY love to have a chat to some of the people who were using demo iPad2's in the weeks before launch.

They must have known about the blacklight splodges, and reported them back in their write-ups / around the table meetings about their findings of the device, before they pressed the button to start the massive production lines.

I've love to know the types of discussions that went on, how many of them said they were not happy and the decisions they made to go ahead.

Someone VERY high up obviously said, right, we're going to deem this as "OK" and run with it, I have read your findings and listened to what you say, but it's "good enough" in my opinion, so start making them.

I know there will be a few of them, saying, well, we told them, and they just would not listen.

I humbly think that it does not really matter too much what those user test groups say when the final decision had been made to go ahead with production. :eek:

Apple most probably use very large scale & complex statistical analysis &/or predictive modeling to determine whether it is feasible &/or most profitable for them to use the quality of those components (LCD screens) in the iPad 2. I bet the results most likely indicate that the minor percentage of predicted returns due to certain customers' high quality expectations is something that Apple can definitely & easily afford. I believe these "numerous" returns due to light bleeding still come out to be "a lot" cheaper for Apple than if they are to have used more expensive but better quality LCD screens. :eek: That is likely why they had gone ahead with the quality (especially with what is being seen in the LCD screens) they're offering right now as opposed to using higher quality (but more expensive) screens in the iPad 2. :(

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008

I'll definitely grant that some of these are pretty bad, and should be replaced.

Most of them are in normal lighting conditions, I accept. Still, the brightness IS turned unreasonably high which makes it look much worse.
Of course, though, we can all agree that it should be perfect on all brightness settings. All I am saying is that sometimes it's not worth it to LOOK for errors.

Also, as I say, I think there are two cases: those that REALLY are bad and those that are relatively normal for an LCD screen. Some of the ones shown ARE really bad.

I also think that because there have been unreasonably many bad screens, it has drawn attention towards the backlight bleed of those that are just normal, and some users suddenly have become a bit obsessed with looking for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.