Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmanUV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
DP3 through software update failed for me so I decided to format the lion partition and install it again. This is the warning I got when I tried to install lion on a HFS+ journaled formatted partition:

4vqz45.png

FYI, this is my partition layout is like this:

okr729.png

It makes sense that full disk encryption and recovery partition doesn't work but why would Find My Mac depend on the partition layout?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Might have something to do with the inability to create the hidden partition that is tied to the Recovery System. Find My Mac might have the ability to locate your computer even if you're not logged in, which would require something outside the Home folder. Just a guess.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Find My Mac may have a remote wipe feature that would automatically reboot into the recovery partition to wipe the disk.

ArmanUV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Find My Mac may have a remote wipe feature that would automatically reboot into the recovery partition to wipe the disk.

This really makes sense. Although i don't think it's gonna be really effective if it requires a full reboot. seems to me that the robber could just unplug the device and then use something like target disk mode or even hardware extraction to access the data on the hard drive.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
This really makes sense. Although i don't think it's gonna be really effective if it requires a full reboot. seems to me that the robber could just unplug the device and then use something like target disk mode or even hardware extraction to access the data on the hard drive.

Once the device receives the signal, it could write something to the firmware locking it to only reboot and wipe, leaving it no longer dependent on the network connection.

fabio-s

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
I got the same message while trying to make a fresh install, and my HD is 500GB formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). So I decided to go with a software updated.

I also noticed that when I open iAlertU, the same icon that appears on iOS when using GPS is shown: http://twitpic.com/5551t0

If I click on "Open Privacy Settings" just the System Preferences is opened...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.