Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yo, everyone. So, my iPad 1 came with the original Apple iPad case when I bought it used from eBay. This weekend I finally decided to take it out of its case to see how to feels to use. I must say I absolutely love it! So much better than the Apple iPad case. Do any of you use your iPad without a case?

However, I also understand that it's basically impractical to use the iPad while lounging without some sort of case to prop the iPad up. Since I'm new to iPad usage and because it came with this case, I'm not sure what the best case would be to get. I'd love one I could both prop up the iPad for viewing, comfortable holding in the hands, as well as one I could sit on the knees with while on the couch or in the chair to type. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I'm in a similar position to you; Apple's iPad 1 case does add a surprising amount of bulk so I've been mostly using my iPad naked. That hasn't been too much of a problem for me as I mostly use my iPad at home.

If anyone has any suggestions for cases that are lighter than Apple's but still work as a typing stand I'd appreciate them too. The nearest thing I've heard of is someone gluing magnets to an iPad 1 so he can fit the iPad 2 Smart Cover.

One final thought, your post prompted me to try refitting my offical case and I'd forgotten how much better typing is. The slight angle seems to make me a lot more accurate and quicker.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
When I initially got my iPad 1 I would rock it naked, but now I like the look of it with the Apple case. What I don't like is how dirty the Apple case gets.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I used a smoke black Belkin Grip Vue when I had my iPad 1. It's a fantastic case. Looks great and provides a great grip.

I also bought a stand that could be used to prop the iPad up on a table for better viewing and more comfortable typing.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I like my ZooGue case. However, they sent me an attachment for portrait mode that I don't see how to use conveniently yet.

I also have a Rocket Fish keyboard case which is pretty nice. I wanted a full sized keyboard case after finding my hands to cramped together on the keyboard cases that are the width of the iPad. The Rocket Fish is therefore larger than the iPad but it is worth it (to me) for typing long docs when I want to do so.

LuckRunsOut

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
I picked up a Candyshell case by Speck two days ago at my local AT&T store. Marked down from $44.95 to $5!! Great deal for a great case.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I picked up a Candyshell case by Speck two days ago at my local AT&T store. Marked down from $44.95 to $5!! Great deal for a great case.

I came across that, too - a great deal (although I have too many iPad 1 cases as it is...) :)

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
I'm in the final stages of making a <1mm thick bumper to allow the iPad 1 to work with the Smart Cover (no glue/removable). I'll post an update here soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.