Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just the domain. It's all described in the summary of the article. The owners of the domain, Xcerion AB simply renamed their service CloudMe.com.

Ya, but renaming their service was likely why it cost them $4.5 million. I mean imagine how much of a hit it would be to have to rename your business.

arn

drumrobot

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
wait so icloud the company was purchased for 4.5 mil?? or just domain?

Just the domain (unless I'm missing something).

On a side note, I decided to go to icloud.com... finally found a way to get documents onto iWork for iPad for free and sync them with other devices! (Dropdav did this as well, but it's no longer free)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ya, but renaming their service was likely why it cost them $4.5 million. I mean imagine how much of a hit it would be to have to rename your business.

arn

$4.5 million is actually quite cheap when you think about it. If someone asked me to rebrand my entire operation, you can bet I'd ask for at least 2-3 years worth of revenue to help stem the confusion to my users and the bad will the whole thing could generate.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Anyone tried to call that 570-708-8780 number? I believe the endeavor media group owns it

It's the Network Solutions Call Center. I used to work there when it opened. Back when it was owned by VeriSign and we weren't forced to sell you 8 things before you got off a call.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
icloudstevesandetuaw.jpg

Johnner1999

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think $4.5 million is equivalent to a rounding error - in it's bank account.

Johnner1999

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

caspersoong said:
Okay, wondering why Apple didn't do this on the day of WWDC.

Ditto - something has to be up...

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Since this "iCloud" is rumored to allow users to store their music in the cloud and give access to your songs using your mobile device's internet connection, can we expect a web based iTunes? I can see this being extremely useful to listen to music on my work computer where I do not store my music on.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
As a longtime Mobile Me user (I've been using the service since the free "iTools" days), I'm a bit concerned that this new iCloud service will have features (the music locker, for instance) that are only available to residents of the United States. I hope that's not the case, but the way the music and motion picture industries work, it wouldn't surprise me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Apple has lined up worldwide rights.

RastaLulz

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
$4,500,000?!?!?!

/registers every word in the dictionary with the letter "i" infront of it

ridley182

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
The OC
This is obviously the reason why they announced iCloud so early. There's no way this would have gone unnoticed.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Okay, wondering why Apple didn't do this on the day of WWDC.

Changing the DNS (which they haven't done yet) can take days to propagate. It's not like you can do it at the last second and expect people to be able to hit the site.

And they can't change the DNS without having ownership of the domain (which they do now).

arn

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
As a longtime Mobile Me user (I've been using the service since the free "iTools" days), I'm a bit concerned that this new iCloud service will have features (the music locker, for instance) that are only available to residents of the United States. I hope that's not the case, but the way the music and motion picture industries work, it wouldn't surprise me.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Apple has lined up worldwide rights.

Apple Files for 'iCloud' Trademark in Europe

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state

I would pay $99 a year to have cloud backups and streaming movies, music and documents. Here's hoping I'm right.

(free would be better but that would quickly devalue box.com and all the others like box.)

cara0910

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
Yeah...

Got my invite to Google Music today. I really hope Apple can bring it on Monday :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.