Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I do not have a download stack in my dock. Went to "users/home" to click and drag download folder to dock and don't have a download folder to do so. How do I create a new folder at this level?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You should have write permissions for your home folder, so just create a folder and name it Downloads. Mac OS X takes care of the icon-related magic for you.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Are you sure the Downloads folder was in your User folder? The default location is the Root.
Eh? That's not true at all... versions of Mac OS X prior to Leopard defaulted to downloading things to the desktop. Leopard and later have a dedicated Downloads folder in each user's home folder for this purpose.

mapost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
You should have write permissions for your home folder, so just create a folder and name it Downloads. Mac OS X takes care of the icon-related magic for you.

"New Folder" is grayed out in the finder menu when I am in the user/home window and I also tried the quick key command for new folder and no luck.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If you can't create a folder in your home directory, it sounds like you have permissions problems.
Open Disk Utility and run a permissions repair on your system hard drive, then reboot.

mapost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
If you can't create a folder in your home directory, it sounds like you have permissions problems.
Open Disk Utility and run a permissions repair on your system hard drive, then reboot.

Ran permissions repair and still have grayed out "new folder"

mapost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
If you do a "Get Info" on your home folder, what does it say about the permissions?

That was the problem, I wasn't even listed as a user. Fixed that with read/write privileges and volia, I now have a download folder. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.