Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barron's reports on a new research note from Hudson Square analyst Todd Rethemeier, who claims that the fifth-generation iPhone due this fall will indeed support HSPA+ technology, a development that will allow the device to offer faster data speeds on GSM networks such as AT&T. (The currently shipping iPhone supports standard HSPA.) Despite the fact that HSPA+ is slower than the LTE standard being rolled out by major carriers, AT&T has begun marketing its HSPA+ network as "4G", meaning that the carrier could position the next iPhone as a 4G device despite it failing to offer LTE compatibility.

hspa.jpg

The implications of an HSPA+ iPhone are significant in the United States, where Apple presently offers a separate CDMA iPhone running on Verizon. Even with both current models of the iPhone 4 limited to 3G networks, AT&T's HSPA data network is already faster than Verizon's EVDO data network. That disparity will be magnified with the next iPhone as AT&T users will be able to experience download speeds in the range of 5-10 Mbps under HSPA+ while users on Verizon will remain stuck on the carrier's current 3G network running in the neighborhood of 1 Mbps.

And that advantage would continue to be significant even for the expected LTE-enabled sixth-generation iPhone until LTE networks are essentially built out, as AT&T users would be able to fall back from LTE to HSPA+ while Verizon users would fall all the way back to basic 3G when out of LTE coverage areas.
For AT&T iPhone 5 users, this could mean download speeds of 5-10 Mbps, compared to less than 1 Mbps for a Verizon user. Certainly, when an LTE iPhone is introduced AT&T would lose some of its marketing advantage. However, even when that happens, the phone will be backwards compatible, so the AT&T iPhone 6 would be able to roam onto the HSPA+ network when an LTE network is not available, giving AT&T an advantage in suburban and rural areas for several more years, we believe.
AT&T notes that it is currently seeing "4G" speeds of up to 6 Mbps for HSPA+ devices connected to cell towers utilizing the enhanced backhaul connections needed to support such speeds. The carrier touts HSPA+ as an intermediate step on the way to LTE, a move that will enable it to be the only U.S. carrier to offer two layers of "4G" speeds on its network.

Early reports have seen some users of "4G" HSPA+ devices on AT&T experiencing speeds slower than that seen on 3G, particularly when it comes to upload, although the carrier is still finishing building out its full HSPA+ capabilities. Consequently, it remains to be seen exactly just how wide the disparity would be between an HSPA+ iPhone running on AT&T versus one running on Verizon's network.

Verizon executives have claimed that the next-generation iPhone will be a single "world-mode" model capable of operating on both GSM and CDMA networks. The CDMA iPhone 4 and iPad 2 already include a Qualcomm chip capable of supporting both HSPA+ and CDMA 3G standards, meaning that Apple would primarily have to focus on integrating sufficient antenna capabilities to support the number of frequencies required for both CDMA and GSM compatibility in a single device.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Likely to Support AT&T '4G', Widening Speed Gap Over Verizon

Last edited by a moderator:

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Feds need to step in and set limits to what people can call 4G. This crap is getting confusing.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Feds need to step in and set limits to what people can call 4G. This crap is getting confusing.

The international body that regulates the terms already ok'ed HSPA+ and greater and first gen LTE as '4G'. They use to require peak speeds of 100 Mbps, but no one liked that so here we are.

Verizon's LTE network wasn't even in the original definition because the next version "LTE-Advanced" is considered to be the eventual goal of the technology.

source: http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Can't wait to try LTE in Canada...

probably in two or three decades, for the low price of only 100.00$ per month with an amazingly huge quota of 500 MB. :rolleyes:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6

That and you should not be able to run TV Ads claiming the same when you dont even have 4G anywhere in an entire State. People walk into a store buy a 4G phone and never think to ask if they even have 4G service. They find out later "It's Coming". Total farse and deceiving to the average consumer.

I have several people a week brag to me about their 4G smart device and I smile while telling them good job, we don't even have 4G anywhere in the entire State you moron.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'll believe it when I see it....

and more.... I'll care when 4G is actually out there in more than a few major areas.

Wake me up in a year.... 4G is so oversold right now.

GENTLEB

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
This is so funny .... I'll take Verizons "slow" 1Mbps CDMA 3G over AT&T's EDGE 2G any day of the Week/Month/Year.

^^^ That's the bottom line here

I love the "fall back" to HSPA+ ROFL in reality it's a fall back to EDGE

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Rogers is already rolling out their LTE network.

I'm probably not that far off with the monthly cost and quota, however. ;)

What makes me sad is that they say "With maximum download speeds of up to 150 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 70 Mbps", while Télébec here (only choice of ISP, if you call that a choice) is proud to sell me "high speed cable internet access" at speeds of 2, 5, 8 or 12 Mbps with 35GB/month quotas (uploads+downloads).

Last edited:

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
I haven't had a dropped call yet with Verizon after dumping AT&T on the first day I could. I was getting an average of 3 dropped calls a day via AT&T in West LA. Their answer: "turn off 3G."

Really noticing the data speed drop with Verizon and don't like the incoming call management, but I can have conversations without interruption, and that kind of trumps the other issues.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Why do they label anything as 4G nowadays when it clearly isn't? :confused:
They do that because of all the buzz in the market place. It's no different that any other rather false advertising we have on TV, the Net, the print media and other sources.

There is no "Official" 4G standard, therefore it's even easier for them to use the label "4G" in their advertising. They all do it, because all carriers are in the same business, and they have very little to use as a key differentiator for their company.

It's like rental car companies, they all do the same thing so they have to grab at straws to stand out in the crowd. To bring in the volume of business they seek.

If at some point relatively soon there is an agreement on a Standard, by which all are measured, then and only then will we be able to truly know what to expect, and what to demand from them.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Apple is famous for concentrating on user experience rather than pure hardware specs. We all know that 3G drains the battery faster than EDGE, imagine what HSPA+ and 4G LTE will do! I sure as heck hope they figure out how to support HSPA+ and 4G LTE without a piss-poor battery life.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Can someone tell me what is the benefit of 4G (LTE). Yes , its fast but what you going to do with all that speed. 3G not fast enough? Tether perhaps? Yes, that will be good as long as you got jailbreak in unless you want to pay ridiculous rates per MB used.
Any more useful stuff?
I am not surprised that Apple is slow with all this...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
This is so funny .... I'll take Verizons "slow" 1Mbps CDMA 3G over AT&T's EDGE 2G any day of the Week/Month/Year.

^^^ That's the bottom line here

I love the "fall back" to HSPA+ ROFL in reality it's a fall back to EDGE

Speak for yourself. Where I live, there is no edge. All 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.