Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
North America
I don't know if this is true. I don't know if this is the correct place to post this story. If it isn't, then one of the moderators can move it. I really hope that this story isn't true. If it is, then it is very sad.

http://life.globaltimes.cn/life/2011-06/661408.html

Zheng shows scar on his stomach after kidney removal surgery.

A teenager in Huaishan, Anhui Province has sold one of his kidneys to buy an iPad2 tablet computer, as reported by SZTV on June 1.

The 17-year-old man surnamed Zheng, a freshman in high school, got connected with a kidney-selling agent through the internet, who pledged to pay him 20,000 yuan ($3,084.45 ) for one of his kidneys.

On April 28 of this year, Zheng went to Chenzhou, Hunan Province to have his kidney removed under the supervision of three so-called middlemen, and received 22,000 yuan ($3,392.97). Then he returned home with a laptop and an iPhone.

Zheng's mother discovered her son's new electronic products and forced him to reveal how he came to afford them. Then she took Zheng to Chenzhou and reported the matter to local police. The three agents' telephones have not been answered since that time.

Chenzhou 198 Hospital, where Zheng had his surgery, has no qualifications for kidney transplantation, according to SZTV reporters.

The hospital has denied any connection with the kidney removal operation, and has said that its urology department is contracted to a businessman in Fujian.

Last edited:

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
He got ripped off I know a dude that woulda paid 10k for it

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
On April 28 of this year, Zheng went to Chenzhou, Hunan Province to have his kidney removed under the supervision of three so-called middlemen, and received 22,000 yuan ($3,392.97). Then he returned home with a laptop and an iPhone.

Where does it mention an iPad 2? That's what your thread title indicates he bought. :confused:

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
My wife was reading over my shoulder and said "wow! Is that all kidneys go for these days?".

Although if it where me, I would have atleast waited for the iPhone 5... :rolleyes:

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Wow... I hope that's not true, then again if it is this is just a main reason why Apple is #1, people will give a kidney for there products!

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Where does it mention an iPad 2? That's what your thread title indicates he bought. :confused:

If you use the provided link it will take you to the news site. That is the title that they used.

Teenager sells kidney for ipad2
Source: Globaltimes.cn [15:58 June 02 2011]Comments

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
So he sold a perfectly functioning kidney for an iPad 2 with backlight bleed?

Correction...He sold his perfectly functioning kidney for an iPhone 4, even with antenna-gate? :D

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What an idiot. Though you can't really expect a child to make wise decisions. And how is he a HS freshman if he is 17?!
It's a bit ridiculous how this even went through at the hospital.

Did I mention that the kid is an idiot?

I would never compromise with my health ... for a freaking iPad :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.