Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
This afternoon I encounted a problem with mail on my iphone. I was able to send/receive messages this morning, didn't change any settings, but am now getting the following error:

'the mail server 'imap.gmail.com' is not responding. verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings'

mail settings has the account name, email address, and description. incoming mail server has 'imap.gmail.com', the user name and password. outgoing mail has the primary server correctly entered. I didn't make any changes between the morning and afternoon. FWIW, i'm not using a 'gmail.com' email, but rather an email address that uses gmail's servers (I think I explained that right). I've tried rebooting, double checking the settings, switching from Edge/3G/wifi, nothing seems to work.

any suggestions?
thanks!

MacFAQ

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Sounds like it got stuck on something.

I would delete the offending account and make sure to follow the Google Apps set up steps.

Make sure you've enabled IMAP in your main Mail settings
Open the Settings app on your device
Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Tap Add Account...
Tap Gmail
Enter your account information, being sure to use your full Google Apps email address
Tap Next
Tap Save

Your account information should be your full e-mail address, correct password, incoming server is "imap.gmail.com" and outgoing is "smtp.gmail.com."

:apple: MaqFAQ

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
that's what I did a few minutes ago as it still wasn't working.

Odd though, the settings are different than they used to be. i know longer have an 'incoming mail server' section. now under account info I have 'gmail account information, outgoing mail server, and advanced.'
I can receive email and send email now though.

tonywu

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
that's what I did a few minutes ago as it still wasn't working.

Odd though, the settings are different than they used to be. i know longer have an 'incoming mail server' section. now under account info I have 'gmail account information, outgoing mail server, and advanced.'
I can receive email and send email now though.

I think Google just changed something. I just deleted my gmail account on my iPhone, and set it up from scratch. It works now.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77702

Good luck.

ryszard21

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
Bedford, Nova Scotia
Resolutions (?) to gmail imap problem without deleting original Gmail account?

I've recently begun receiving the message "The mail server 'imap.gmail.com' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings" when I attempt to retrieve Gmail messages on my 3Gs Apple iPhone with version 4.3.3 Apple Mail. I have read all the related posts, but do not want to delete my original Gmail account and replace it by using the suggested "Add Account" option because "Deleting this account will remove its mail and notes from your iPhone". I don't want to lose all the past mail and notes I've saved on my iPhone. Any suggested alternative resolutions of the problem would be greatly appreciated.
I have verified that all my account settings are correct, both on Gmail.com and on the iPhone (under Settings>Mail etc.>Accounts>Gmail>Account (xyz@gmail.com)>Gmail Account Information:

Name: xyz
Address: xyz@gmail.com
Password: ******
Description: xyz@gmail.com

Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP smtp.gmail.com > Primary Server: smtp.gmail.com (ON >)

Advanced:
Mailbox Behaviors
Drafts Mailbox (Drafts)
Deleted Mailbox (Trash)
Incoming Settings
Use SSL (ON)
Authentication (Password >)
IMAP Path Prefix ( / )
Server Port (993)

[BTW, I recently (Friday, June-03-2011) performed an iPhone software update.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.