Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I've literally wasted nearly my whole Sunday messing with this. I'm attempting to restore my iPad so I can sell it.

The iPad was jailbroken on 4.2.1 with GreenPoison. I tried to restore in iTunes earlier and it just got stuck on "preparing iPad for restore" for nearly an hour. I cancelled it and tried again. Same thing. Tried switching the USB plug it was using. Same thing. Tried the newest version of iTunes, same thing.

I can't remember how many variations I tried but eventually I wound up with just a white screen. I fumbled around with DFU mode and got it back to the "connect to iTunes" screen on the iPad and tried again. Still no luck.

So then I downloaded the 4.2.1 IPSW file from iClarified and tried to restore to 4.2.1 but kept getting error code 3194. So then I tried just a normal restore but keep getting error 1604. The error 3194 and error 1604 happen everytime on each method.

If I leave the iPad on the "connect to iTunes screen" not plugged into anything it'll go to just an Apple logo after a few minutes. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Does anybody have ANY fix or tips for this? :confused:

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Have you tried restoring to a stock 4.3.3, the newest version?

Yes I've tried about 10 times today

I tried that earlier just for the heck of it. Although I still don't even really understand that and have never used/installed tiny umbrella before so I'm not sure if it'd have any effect on my situation at all? But nonetheless it still didn't fix it

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Do you have access to another computer? I have this issue on my MBP that I can't restore any iDevice. I used my old MacBook and it worked just fine. It's some sort of software issue.

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Do you have access to another computer? I have this issue on my MBP that I can't restore any iDevice. I used my old MacBook and it worked just fine. It's some sort of software issue.

This. +1
I had a very similar problem to yours... could not restore no matter what.
Tried from my wife's MBA and it worked perfectly. Exact same steps followed on each machine but for some reason on my MBA it wouldn't go. On hers, flawless first try.

Good luck,
m&c

juliuspierpont

macrumors member
May 11, 2007
This. +1
I had a very similar problem to yours... could not restore no matter what.
Tried from my wife's MBA and it worked perfectly. Exact same steps followed on each machine but for some reason on my MBA it wouldn't go. On hers, flawless first try.

Good luck,
m&c

Another vote here for using another computer. I was in the exact position you're in and thought I was doomed. Switched to the mini in the kid's room, and it went easily and flawlessly.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Tried putting it in recovery mode?

Turn it off, hold down the home button for 10 seconds, plug into iTunes, continue holding down home button and it will kick it into recover.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Another vote here for using another computer. I was in the exact position you're in and thought I was doomed. Switched to the mini in the kid's room, and it went easily and flawlessly.

I'll head to my brother's place after work and give that a try. Hopefully it'll work on his computer.

Tried putting it in recovery mode?

Turn it off, hold down the home button for 10 seconds, plug into iTunes, continue holding down home button and it will kick it into recover.

Yeah I've been putting it into recovery mode. Otherwise iTunes doesn't recognize it anyway so recovery mode is the only way I've been able to try

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
As others have said, try:

- Different USB port,
- Different computer, Mac or Windows,
- Put it in DFU mode (Plug it in to the computer, hold Power and Home for 10 seconds, then release power until there is a blank screen on the iPad and iTunes says it's detected an iDevice in recovery.)

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
Would erase all content and setting work? Since you want to rest for selling? I believe it will also erase the jailbreaking.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
If you only have one computer create a different user ID and log in as that. The inability to restore is more often than not corrupt settings in the iTunes profile related to a jailbreak.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well thanks for the tips everyone. I went to my brother's place after work and restored it just fine on his computer.

Hate that it took that much trouble but glad it's all done now.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
Well thanks for the tips everyone. I went to my brother's place after work and restored it just fine on his computer.

Hate that it took that much trouble but glad it's all done now.

I just had the same prob with my iPhone ... wouldn't restore on my laptop for ANYTHING but was just fine when I used my husband's desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.