Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

f1307381950-500x333.jpg

Mac OS X has been around for 10 years now, built on a solid UNIX foundation. Phil Schiller said in the keynote that OS X has "evolved", and is great "not because of hardware, but because of software."

Apple today showed off ten of the 250 new features in Mac OS X Lion, revisiting some of the features that had been highlighted previously and showing off some that are brand new. Some of the new features include Windows Migration Assistant, a new version of FileVault, built-in FaceTime and more. Mac OS X Lion Server isn't a totally separate installation, just additional apps that can be run on top of Lion.

Lion will be priced at $29.99 and available only on the Mac App Store as a 4 GB download, allowing users to pay once and install it on all of their machines, just like all Mac App Store apps. Apple did not announce specific release date for Mac OS X Lion, but narrow down the launch window to the month of July.Â*Customers who purchase a Mac between today and the Lion launch in July will get the upgrade free from the App Store.

f1307382069-500x333.jpg

"New" features, most of which we have seen before -- but Apple feels they are important enough to demo:

1. Multi-touch gestures, very similar to iOS: Taken everything they've learned from iOS and applying that to Lion. Swipe, pinch, etc. Scrollbars disappear when not in use.

2. Full Screen Applications: "Really important for notebooks." Lion has a standard method for full screen apps. A swipe gesture allows you to get back to the desktop, and users can have more than one full screen app running at once, with a swipe gesture to switch between them.

3. Mission Control: The "best feature of Lion" according to Phil Schiller, is a combination of Spaces, Expose and an App Switcher. Spaces are managed through Mission Control, allowing them to be deleted and added on the fly.

4. Enhanced Photo Booth: This is a big feature for the teen crowd. Head into any Apple Store on a Friday or Saturday evening and you'll see many teenagers playing with Photo Booth and uploading pictures to Facebook. The new and improved Photo Booth can follow your face and make "targeted facial enhancements", such as making just your eyes huge.

5. Mac App Store: In the past 6 months, the Mac App Store has become the #1 software channel for Mac applications. Some developers have more than doubled their revenue by offering their software in the Mac App Store. New additions to the App Store in Lion will be in-app purchases, push notifications and application sandboxing for increased security.

6. Launchpad: Imagine the iOS home screen, with rows of app icons, on a Mac. That's Launchpad. It will make finding and organizing apps much, much easier for the average user (think, your Mom). You can even make folders, yet another iOS feature) within Launchpad. It's initiated by a gesture.

7. Resume: Instantly resume where you were in an application when you quit it -- just like iOS. There seems to be a trend popping up here. Works system wide, when you reboot, all of your windows and apps return how they were. Lion auto-saves everything. It makes for easy versioning, and reverting to past changes, much like Time Machine does now, but on a file-by-file basis. Every change is logged -- though it only stores the difference between revisions, making it very space efficient.

8. AirDrop: A new document sharing method. Lion will find other users running AirDrop and display all the machines it can see in the Finder. Sending files is as easy as dragging and dropping an icon on the AirDrop logo. The recipient gets a prompt, confirms they want the file, and it downloads to their computer. It sounds simple, but it should be very handy. BOOM.

9. Mail: Mail has been completely redesigned, with lots of inspiration from the iPad Mail client. Search looks much more intelligent, and there is a new conversation view apparently inspired by Gmail.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion Set for July Debut Priced at $29.99, Mac App Store Exclusive

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
That's too bad, I wish it was available on a disk, my internet is too slow to buy it. By thie time I finish downloading a 4Gb file 10.8 will probaly be out. I wish Apple would give us options it would be cool if you could buy it from the app store or on some sort of physical media.

moseleyite

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Birmingham UK
I guess I'm lucky and can download this. I can quite understand those on slow internet connections being annoyed though. Perhaps a version too early.

A UK price of £20-25 (I guess) for both my Macs? Count me in! :)

Edit - thinking about it £30 is probably more like it but even so... much cheaper than expected.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
So if you want to format and install lion you have to install SL, update to get mac app store version, and then download Lion...

Sounds like it'll be as long as installing w7 if you ask me.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I guess I'm lucky and can download this. I can quite understand those on slow internet connections being annoyed though. Perhaps a version too early.

A UK price of £20-25 (I guess) for both my Macs? Count me in! :)

Edit - thinking about it £30 is probably more like it but even so... much cheaper than expected.

Confirmed at £20.99, great deal :)

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
my question is... if after i purchase Lion, what if i want to wipe my mac and install from scratch?

do i have to install 10.6 from DVD first and then upgrade to 10.7 via appstore? if yes then that is insane.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Instead on going to the shop to buy Lion DVD, you can go to the Apple store and use the WiFi to download it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
A bit of an anti-climax preview today. These are all features we already knew, not even marginally changed. Launchpad for example still seems to be clunky. I was hoping we would see some exciting new stuff. At least the pricing seems to be reasonable, although I'm having second thoughts on the limited distribution.

The real bummer for me is that we still haven't seen any sign of iWork ’11. I was really looking forward to that.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Honestly, how will this work? We have 5 Macs in our home. Apple is telling me we have to waste 20GB of bandwidth (Comcast data cap here) to update all our machines? The idea of downloading the same thing over and over again really irks me. I'd much rather download it once, and create a bootable USB stick or DVD. And, as others have mentioned, how will we perform clean installs should the need arise (new HDD, fresh start, etc)? Will I have to install 10.6 only to have to re-download the 4GB Lion? This is bogus.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Would have liked to see some more new features announced however what was shown looks great. $29.99 price point looks like the standard now which is nice but digital distribution only is odd.

elschus

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I wonder if this will affect the up-to-date program Apple has run in the past on new Macs...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I do. Why do you ask?

Yea, I am curious why he asked too...

I wish they had a dvd option.

Honestly, how will this work? We have 5 Macs in our home. Apple is telling me we have to waste 20GB of bandwidth (Comcast data cap here) to update all our machines? The idea of downloading the same thing over and over again really irks me. I'd much rather download it once, and create a bootable USB stick or DVD. And, as others have mentioned, how will we perform clean installs should the need arise (new HDD, fresh start, etc)? Will I have to install 10.6 only to have to re-download the 4GB Lion? This is bogus.

I believe so, unless all the computers you update have the same appleid

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
not bad for $29

This seems pretty neat... but we'll have to see how these features really work in "real life". But, I'm pretty happy with this. Kinda sucks for people with slow internet though, for the install. And someone raised a good point about how reinstallation might be annoying...

We'll see how the details turn out.

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Apple is genius. Now, if you want the next version of the Mac OS, you have to register an Apple ID, which may encourage you to buy more things in the App Store and iTunes music store in the future.

Want a clean install? Buy a new Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.