Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
This was widely requested in iPhone 4, but it never turned out. It's in iOS 5 now.
Based on this, I think it's reasonable to assume that iPhone 5 will have a separate notification light, which might also act as a flash for the front camera.

nelly29

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
That is sweet...at work I can throw it on mute and have it face down on my desk and not have to unlock it every hour to check on it :D:D:D:D

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think your assumption is correct, as the LED flash on the IP4 is too damn bright for notifications.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
That would drain battery pretty quickly if it used the LED...

Are you sure?

From apples site

iOS 5 comes with innovative new features that make it easier for people with mobility, hearing, vision, and cognitive disabilities to get the most from their iOS devices. iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone’s calling. And improvements to VoiceOver include custom element labeling. These are just a few of the ways iOS 5 continues making advances in the field of accessibility.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This was widely requested in iPhone 4, but it never turned out. It's in iOS 5 now.
Based on this, I think it's reasonable to assume that iPhone 5 will have a separate notification light, which might also act as a flash for the front camera.

yeah I figured based on that LED notifcation light is coming and if I had to guess on a design they will use it will be a copy of the one Motorola uses because when it is not active you really can not see it and it is just a small dot when it is in use.
Far cry from the big blinking one that blackberry or old things like the blackjack used that are/were fairly large and bright. Motorola is pretty small and not bright at all. Very Apple like in terms of design and I would not be surprised in the least if Apple copies it.

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's way too bright and obtrusive...not a fan

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's way too bright and obtrusive...not a fan

well if it is for a phone call it would be fine. Assuming it has ways of time controls. Hell it might need something like bed side mode like backberry has.
I have an App on my Atrix (android) that turns off notifications when I turn it on and only phone calls will cause the phone to make any noise. Everything else is silent and the LED is disabled.

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011

That's what i said...

Hobbes.

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Did any of you not realize that this is for the HEARING IMPAIRED.

It is not a hint that there will be a notification light...it's for those who are challenged.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Ummm.
How do you know that?

straight from the Apple website man....(and post #6)

"Accessibility
iOS 5 comes with innovative new features that make it easier for people with mobility, hearing, vision, and cognitive disabilities to get the most from their iOS devices. iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone’s calling. And improvements to VoiceOver include custom element labeling. These are just a few of the ways iOS 5 continues making advances in the field of accessibility."

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

Now of course it can still be used as a notification light for yourself if you choose...however that freakishly bright LED flashing is not exactly the most subtle work around.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009

It is not a hint that there will be a notification light...it's for those who are challenged.

Do you think they really implemented this feature for the hearing impaired? Come on. It's brownie points for them to say that.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Do you think they really implemented this feature for the hearing impaired? Come on. It's brownie points for them to say that.

Really? its not exactly a standard little notification light.... It might as well be a Lighthouse attached to the back of your phone. It's a LED flash that has a workaround. If you want to use it as a notification light by all means go ahead...but when you have it laying out on a table and accidentally blind an airline pilot flying overhead and receive that $11,000 fine (http://gizmodo.com/5807568/starting-today-lasering-a-plane-will-cost-you-11000) don't say I didn't warn you...

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
if the next gen iPhone has a front LED for notifications, I welcome it with open arms. A LED notifier is literally the only thing i miss about my old blackberry. Setting different colors or flash patterns for different alerts/contacts... it was great. iPhone kills that old thing in every other way, but I do seriously miss that LED.

I can't see myself using the current camera flash as a notifier light. If the phone isn't in my pocket, it's probably sitting face up on the desk or table. But it's nice to see they are at least opening up to the idea.

I have to admit I was shocked today. Integrated reader in safari, to-do list, the LED notifier, using the volume button for the camera..... things that have been around on other phones forever but I honestly never thought us iPhone users would get this stuff without jailbreaking or installing 3rd party apps. Apple is really starting to loosen up a bit.

slkscrn

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Personally never going to use LED Flash notifications because the phone is either in my pocket or in my hand and with custom vibrations I'll have no need for this.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Led

Basically the only reason i stuck with my blackberry was for 3 reasons.

1.BBM
2.LED notifications.
3.The best keyboard ever invented for a mobile device.

2 out of 3 would be great for the iPhone 5.

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011

Why would a deaf person need a phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.