Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
The Cupertino area is not prone to the earthquakes that affect the region, I hope. Otherwise that will be a boatload of broken glass to sweep up! ;)

And while apricot orchards are nice... What?! No apple orchards?!!...
/
/
/

Apples with bites taken out of them, in white, don't grow on trees, you know? ;)

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
I wonder what the building will be for.

The video even stated this. It will have 4 stories, including a place for a café and developers and coders.
Assume it has new iOS and OS X areas, it's bringing all the offices outside of Infinite Loop together in two locations.

A steve quote " It Just Works "

anjonjp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Apple...yet apricots

Why apricot orchards instead of apple orchards!!?:eek::);):apple::apple::apple:

Seriously though, the project looks exciting!! Hopefully, this will be a structure that will become a future historical building too (regardless of who its tenants may be far down the timeline). :cool:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Once again, Apple is holding out on us. I have it on good authority that the REAL New Apple Campus looks like this…

therealnewapplecampus.jpg

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
In the UK, as well as GCHQ (mentioned earlier), we've got the Diamond Light Source research centre...

Aerial_July06_04.jpg

Never mind all that, they could at least make the building an oval and fit a football (soccer) pitch in the middle!

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
so pessimistic:rolleyes:

People do get way to caught up in the "will he make it?" piece. Steve made it through the entire thing. He made through the keynote in March and WWDC, he's 50+ and he has had some bad health, he runs at his best, and the fact he is sticking with the company, instead of retiring to money, is very admirable. So I agree that people are so pessimistic at this.

David Ormesher

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I can't get over the extremely awkward pause from Steve after they asked for an Apple Store in Cupertino… I'm a little surprised he didn't pull out his iPhone and make the cricket sound, but oh…wait, he didn't have to.

I wonder if they don't need an Apple Store in Cupertino because 20% of the people that live there are employees that would have no need for an Apple Store.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
They mentioned an auditorium, much like one used for WWDC, so can we guess that future events will be held there after completion?

If so will it house more than 5,200?

Sounded to me like they want WWDC to be on campus. Makes sense. If they've got the land why not build their own facility. Parking might be an issue.

Some of the questions were a little embarrassing. I wonder where Apple will be in 2015.

Last edited:

2stepbay

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
Hawaii Island, Hawaii
Hard to believe SJ is worth multi-billions. There is no sense of ego or attitude in his presence. Just a great guy wanting to achieve the best for others. I wish him a speedy recovery.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
This design is beautiful and I really hope they build it. But some observations - how come there are apparently no roads leading to the building, and more importantly...

How practical is a large donut building? I mean, do people really want a 20 minute walk around the donut to reach the HR department? Or can they reduce journey time to 10 minutes by cutting through the courtyard (in good weather)? :D

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well Apple really have the Cupertino council by the nuts.

What is astonishing is that Jobs actually held them to ransom right there in their own council meeting.
Pretty much saying: If you don't like it we'll go elsewhere and take our tax dollars with us.
Apple would have been given the green light to do whatever they want to.

I'd speculate this bunch of whimps gave whoever had a presentation after Steve Jobs a hard time. They would have had to assert their authority again after such an a**-licking, grovelling session.

Anyway, nice enough building.

2013?

Zanon

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
I agree 100%. Steve is absolutely right in saying that Cupertino should be the ones providing the free wi-fi with all the taxes Apple must be paying.

How typical of a government body to ask its people "what's in it for us?" instead of "what can we do for you?"

I'm glad to see other folks who understand this "what's in it for us" attitude those government folks have.

This following may be a rant, though it's good to understand how the cities work.

Apple does more than paying taxes. Each employee they have that lives and works (or just works in the city) do at least one of the following in the cities: pay rent/mortages, buys locally, pay sales tax, pay other forms of taxes, and so much more.

The reason the city council says "what's in it for us?" is likely because they don't have a business background to understand the net effect a new place like this will bring.

They want a "tangible" write us a huge check, pay a NEW tax. They don't understand that building this building will bring a lot of people to the city to infuse money into the city even during the construction. And even if they do understand they want "instant gratification."

Steve Jobs has them by the balls though, Apple can and have the resources to move out of the city and another city would be happy to get a fraction of what Apple provides to Cupertino.

Of course Apple avoids billions of dollars of taxation due to their offshores accounts, though the people that lose that the most is the federal government and state.

They think to themselves, "you guys make billions of dollars, I only make (likely a 6 figure income if they WORK for the city), I deserve more, you guys should give us more money because we can spend it better than you. We'll building useless buildings that WE want, for OUR retirements, we want these PARKS for our kids, we want government OWNED cars" etc.

I've lived and worked in a California city that had the same attitude on a business I worked with. While the economy was tanking, they spent money like it was free.

They purchased a new city hall, I believe it was over 7 million dollars. About 50% or more of the building is still EMPTY. They received a horrible deal, but whoever sold them the building made a lot of money (likely a shady dealing with the city manager).

The pay still goes up for the city workers. While many other companies are closing, they raise pay, an already inflated pay. The city manager, last I checked, makes 197,000. He rents an apartment in the city to show that he contribues to the city, but he lives in another city, owns a house there.

It's not in his best interest to see the city succeed. I've met the guy, and he is a total slimey guy, and his lawyers too.

The city council in Cupertino do seem like a joke as well. Same for the city I came from. A bunch of old people, and a mayor who the city manager has IN HIS POCKET, meaning the city manager controls them when the mayor and city council are suppose to DIRECT the city manager.

Likely the city manager benefits when they make a stupid decision like building a senior center. There was already an existing senior center that was BARELY to capacity, likely around 20% or less. Yes, lets spend a couple of million because the economy is so great and we have this new Wal-Mart.

Who does the building of the senior center benefit the most? Well since mostly old people vote and attend city council meetings, old people, the mayor, and city council folk (re-elected).

The city manager looks good and gets to keep his cushy high paying easy job. Whoever gets the building contract or renovation contracts benefits greatly too because the city overpays them, it's not the cities workers money, they won't be frugal. The building contract or renovation likely goes to friends of someone in the city, genius!

Here is where the tie in between Cupertino and the city I use to work in comes. The city I was from says "You want to expand your business in your city do you? What's in it for us?"

Lets see, this is a small city and we employ a lot of people who LIVE here. Our business brings in a lot of people who SHOP in this city. We contribute to a lot of local organizations and purchase nearly everything we can find locally, locally.

"We want to impose a special tax on your business, we need to pay for our bad mistakes these last few years."

The city wants (and is at war with the business) to impose an additional 10%+ tax on the business. It's already been passed, and against a lot of state laws, and agreements. Hey, that's a little lower than the state tax.

--

Well of course it all works out this way when we look at the climate of many parts of California towards business.

Highest amount of lawyers in any state.

Employees are right, businesses need to prove themselves innocent.

ADA lawsuit lawyer needs to get approval from a judge to create lawsuits (he spams thousands of businesses with them, it's extortion really).

California is in massive debt and raising taxes, sales, state, etc.

People are leaving the state for other more business friendly state like Texas and Nevada.

Basically, it's to be expected that they are silly about "what's in it for us?"

They care about what they get, not what the city gets, not that this is a great revenue source or whatever other benefits they receive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.