Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facetime_cellular_dialog_box.jpg

9 to 5 Mac reports that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.
FaceTime Unavailable

Turn on cellular data or use Wi-Fi to use FaceTime.
FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Carriers should be fine. They already support other VoIP and video chat apps on iPhone over 3G.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Hope so. Given the amount of people who have iPhones however may be the tipper. I hate not being able to FaceTime over 3G.... supposedly the new iPhone has access to "4G" (the faster 3G version), so I don't see a reason why carriers would have a huge problem accepting.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
AT&T and Verizon won't have unlimited plans when this comes to play.
T-Mobile may still have unlimited unless AT&T is successful.

AT&T already doesn't have unlimited data plans offered now. Which is why I said they will require those of us with them to downgrade to a limited plan. just like tethering.

bkj216

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Given how many issues Apple tends to have with carriers, how long until they just branch off and offer their own service?

snax83

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2005
i would say this is a bug more than anything as I have just tested this on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and it only happens when the 3g is switched off as well as the cellular data. If you only turn off the cellular data then it asks you to connect to a Wi-Fi network and mentions nothing about turning on cellular data.

YHSUN

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Has Apple encrypted Facetime communication yet?

Has Apple encrypted Facetime communication yet?:confused:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
FaceTime should be offered over 3G since you can FaceTime on an iPad2 hotspotted to an iPhone 4 already...

Ridiculous....

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
3G FaceTime with the 4 gig limit via tethering will probably force me off of the unlimited plan. (I will have to make sure I use the wifi networks more in the future however......)

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I doubt this will hog too much bandwidth. I can't see more than five or six people on Earth who actually enjoy holding their phone out at an uncomfortable angle just so they can face chat. :rolleyes:

ny3ranger

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Why would they care provided they moved to tiered data plans already.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/facetime_cellular_dialog_box.jpg]Image

[/url]
9 to 5 Mac reports that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Yay! Fido. Nice to see my carrier for once. Hopefully Rogers and Fido don't block this in Canada. They haven't denied us any of iOS's features yet so I'm not too worried. Especially since it will just eat up our already limited capped data. :(

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
The situation with mobile internet in the US is really pathetic. Data plan for this, tada plan for that, want to tether pay more, more, more. For Christ sake it's data and if i bought 5 GB of data i don't give a damn and i will use it as i please (on a phone, on a computer, for video chats, for downloads, for what i need).

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will iOS 5 support email based FaceTime on iPhone?

I use iPhone on a non FaceTime supporting carrier. Would be great if I can have FaceTime like on an iPod touch over email.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I HOPE this is true. I need a backup for cellular video on Skype now that probably Microsoft plan to do things it with it...

Ti-tanic

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
The question is do those carriers even have a choice to bargain with Apple, after iPhone's success and thus marginalizing those telecomm co.

Tethering was blocked as well when Apple had the tech to do it well, but later on it became available on 4.3.
A similar issue will probably happen to sim card. Soon all those "activation fees" will be charged by Apple rather than AT&T

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Why would carriers even care. The more data you use on the limited plans then the more you will pay them when you go over. I don't think AT&T is really concerned if you use less than 2gb or more. If you use more you pay more. Its more $$ in their pocket. You can use Skype and Yahoo messenger to do video calling so I can't see this being any different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.