Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srharris22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
So I leave my iMac on and it goes to sleep like normal. problem is
that I come back and click on my magic mouse pad and....nothing happens. So I click on the keyboard and ....nothing happens, just the black screen. I tap the power button and nothing happens. So I just hold down the power button for a hard shut down and I can hear when it final shuts down. Wait a little while then power it back up and everything is fine. This has happened probably once per week over the last month or so.
I can't trace this to anything specific, but I have owned the iMac since September and I think this only started after I downloaded the Facetime beta release from apple directly.
Help?!

Precision4

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have the exact same problem...although, I do not have facetime. For me, it seems that if the iMac sleeps for more than a day it doesn't wake up.

Anyone have any ideas...Resets and unplugging do not seem to make a difference at all.

amao

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
new iMac won't wake up from sleep

I've the same problem and within the first three months of the warrantee, I called Apple helpline twice but the problem is still here. It seems to be a common problem for iMac, and not sure if Apple store will address it.

I'm also thinking about getting a wired mice to wake up the computer if it is a bluetooth problem.

ideas??

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I've the same problem and within the first three months of the warrantee, I called Apple helpline twice but the problem is still here. It seems to be a common problem for iMac, and not sure if Apple store will address it.

I'm also thinking about getting a wired mice to wake up the computer if it is a bluetooth problem.

ideas??

Not sure if you have the latest iMac, but Apple have released a firmware update for this issue as reported by MacRumors today.

"This firmware update fixes an issue that in rare cases may cause an iMac to hang during startup or waking from sleep."

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I have had this issue occasionally with a same model Mac.

Error console suggests that it is a Blue tooth issue with the magic mouse. turning off the mouse and using corded mouse fixed the issue.

I'm not sure whether the new firmware update fixes this issue.

amao

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Not sure if you have the latest iMac, but Apple have released a firmware update for this issue as reported by MacRumors today.

"This firmware update fixes an issue that in rare cases may cause an iMac to hang during startup or waking from sleep."

I got my iMac this early Jan.

Last night I tried to install this firmware but it doesn't work with the Mac OS on my iMac. not sure why?

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
FaceTime, Sleep and Death

So I leave my iMac on and it goes to sleep like normal. problem is
that I come back and click on my magic mouse pad and....nothing happens. So I click on the keyboard and ....nothing happens, just the black screen. I tap the power button and nothing happens. So I just hold down the power button for a hard shut down and I can hear when it final shuts down. Wait a little while then power it back up and everything is fine. This has happened probably once per week over the last month or so.
I can't trace this to anything specific, but I have owned the iMac since September and I think this only started after I downloaded the Facetime beta release from apple directly.
Help?!

I have had this issue also, ever since FaceTime. The iMac only locks up if a) FaceTime is running and b) the system sleeps. Funny though, I do not have system sleep enabled in Energy Preferences; only display sleep.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
My iMac is doing this too. Ever since the Lion Upgrade. And to be honest, it's starting to get ****ing annoying.

Mainly because this just should NOT be happening. I bought a mac to avoid **** like this. And I simply cannot figure out what the problem is.

chipper229

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
iMac won't wake up after sleep

Mac would not wake if it was asleep for several hours or more. Had to perform hard shutdown (not recommended as routine as it might corrupt files) each time. Tried reset PRAM/NVRAM and reset SMC per other recommended fixes to no avail. Another site recommended uninstall wireless mouse/keyboard and re-pair. That did the trick and she's back to normal

chickenlegs

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
iMac won't wake after sleep

I contacted Apple about this very topic and their advice is that it's likely to be the after market RAM that's to blame. Indeed, following the conversation with Apple, I contacted the people who sold me the RAM and they have agreed that faulty or non compatible RAM is likely to be the cause and have asked me to test each stick in turn to see if the Mac identifies a faulty module, which I have yet to do. Apart from this, the other solution is to reset the SMC and vram which I have done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.