Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I'm sure that this has been beat to death, but I have done searches and I can't find the answer that I need. Sorry for a repeat, but please help.

I have an iphone 4 with the small data package. I try to use my data sparingly, but there are a few apps that I really like. One is an app for a radio station. I only use it when I have a wifi signal, but I still seem to eat up my data plan. I was under the impression that if I have wifi, I won't burn up my data. Am I mistaken?

I read email when away from home, and occasionally check the weather but that is about it. Why do I burn up so much of my data bank?

Thanks
Dave

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm sure that this has been beat to death, but I have done searches and I can't find the answer that I need. Sorry for a repeat, but please help.

I have an iphone 4 with the small data package. I try to use my data sparingly, but there are a few apps that I really like. One is an app for a radio station. I only use it when I have a wifi signal, but I still seem to eat up my data plan. I was under the impression that if I have wifi, I won't burn up my data. Am I mistaken?

I read email when away from home, and occasionally check the weather but that is about it. Why do I burn up so much of my data bank?

Thanks
Dave

If you're on wifi it wont use your cariers data. Make sure the wifi icon is on the status bar and connected. But the iphone in general uses up alot of data.
If you want to make sure you can turn off carrier data in settings when away from wifi. How much do you get per month with your plan?

Fireslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
If you're on wifi it wont use your cariers data. Make sure the wifi icon is on the status bar and connected. But the iphone in general uses up alot of data.
If you want to make sure you can turn off carrier data in settings when away from wifi. How much do you get per month with your plan?

I am allowed 200MB per month before being charged extra.

Fireslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
That seems kinda low to me depending on how you use your phone. Have you gone over it yet?

No, I haven't gone over yet, but that is because I rarely use it.
I feel like I should be able to utilize the thing more than I am.

It just seems that it is burning more data than I am really using.

I will go ahead and listen to the streaming music while on wifi at home and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Pjb99

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Os services using up data plan

My wife was also eating up our plan without using the data apps much. Called AT&T and they said to download My Data Services app to track what's using the data. Good app and it says OS Services is using 3-5 Mbytes per day, which is way too high. Put same app on my phone and although OS Services is also my biggest user it's only in the Kbytes per day. Now I have to figure out why! Any thoughts?

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
I also have a small data plan and what I do is always turn off data in my settings when I'm not using it. If you really want to know what uses up your data in the background, you have to get an app that monitors your data usage. If you have any push notifications or other background internet features on then it will use up data.

I don't know exactly what is using up your data, but try turning off data when you're not using it and see what happens.

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I am trying to push my wife to use more data cause she is wasting money on data plan, last month she is only using a mere 8Mb data on her iphone 4s for the whole month:)

Anyway, to the OP, you definitely need something to monitor data usage, but I don't think there is a lot of app running in the background using data. I would say diable any app notification if you don't need them. 200mb can be plenty if you never watch any video and downloading things (including apps) from iphone on 3g. Browsing and email or IMs seems to be using very little data. My wife's iphone only gets heavy on data if she is using the map function.

antifeik

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
I have the same problem, we have seen an increase this last 2 months, Att solution is to download the Data Manager app, but that app its not very detail. It looks fishy to me, as we never have consumed so much data before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.